U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2006, 12:40 PM

9 posts, read 58,586 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking into the area in Mifflin co. of Belleville, Mechanicsville and the Lewistown area. Does anyone have any knowledge of the area? We live in Florida and have vacationed up there since I was a kid, now my father is wanting to retire and just loves it up there, talking of moving. We would like to come along, keep the family together, but we need to find an area that will be good for us as well. We need good schools, we have 3 children, safe enviroment and we would like to have a few acres of land but not be to far away from a grocery store . Also, jobs, from what I hear it sounds like there isn't much unless you go to State College...is that true? ( My husband works in the architectural field - auto cad tech ). Any area around there that is better than another? Sorry for all the questions, but any info would be wonderful! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,656 times
I live in Huntingdon, 45 min s of Lewistown and think it's great here.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:18 PM

49 posts, read 223,251 times
Hi, I live in Milroy, PA (Mifflin County). My daughter just bought a home in Belleville and it is a very nice small town. So is Milroy. As for jobs in our area State College is only a 30 minute drive over the mountain. Harrisburg down Rt 322 is only about 60 minutes now. Also to Camp Hill area. Down RT522 about 45 min. to Selingsgrove. Lewisburg would be a little longer. A lot of people are moving to Mifflin County because the home are more reasonable. There are a lot of Senior Citizen Centers in all the towns. Van runs to all the towns, public libraries in at least 3 of the towns. Always have activities going on. Sports for the kids is very BIG in Mifflin County. Plus the honor rolls has a lot of names on and I know from raising a granddaughter they are good. Most of the kids go on to college. there is a local South Hills Business School in downtown Lewistown. New highways have cut down on travel time around the area. Beautiful mountains all around us. That is why I am here in Milroy, we are at the base of the Seven Mountains, great for hunting. There are always things going on in the towns, the activity lists in the papers always have something on them.
Jeannie

Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 AM

69 posts, read 241,671 times
You can check on area real estate at www.mifflin-juniatahomes.com and the local newspaper at www.lewistownsentinel.com

Old 12-31-2006, 10:56 AM

39 posts, read 179,573 times
This area is a great place to live and raise kids!!!

Old 03-20-2007, 03:31 PM

33 posts, read 130,821 times
You can get real estate and school info. at happyvalleyhomes.com. It's a free website by the Centre County Association of Realotors, but it also has homes in Mifflin County and info. on Lewistown Schools. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a house, it just depends on your price range how much land and house you can get. As for jobs, State College is only 30 min. away, so the drive to work really wouldn't be that bad.

Old 03-26-2007, 04:26 PM

222 posts, read 1,358,879 times
there are lot of Amish in belleville area. it is very nice and rural, pretty area. greenwood furnace state park is nearby. many people commute to lewistown or mount union for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania