Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2009, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,974,840 times
Reputation: 304

Advertisements

It was announced yesterday that Penn State was going to raise the price of their season tickets $600 to $800 a year.

Their hopes is to drive out some of the old time season ticket holders and make the price so high that only the rich yuppies will be able to afford them.

My opinion is that Joe Paterno needs to retire. We do not need old poopy pants to run the show and collect a big salary to raise our prices.

They do not play anyone hard and last weeks game showed us that when they do play a good team - they loose. I can't stand to watch Penn State Football - or Notre Dame for that matter of fact.

It is nothing but a name. The players names changes every 4 years and nobody is that great!

Maybe people should refuse to buy tickets and let them choke on them.

Football is the only sport which generates enough revenue to actually pay for the coaches and equipment necessary to conduct the sport. It actually contributes to the University and supports other sports which do not make enough money to even burn the lights or pay the heating bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 AM
 
3,603 posts, read 5,947,247 times
Reputation: 3366
What's your team, Michigan ? Sounds like it to me. Let me know when your boys have a winning season again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 PM
 
343 posts, read 727,546 times
Reputation: 582
1. Nearly every major college season ticket price rises at least every other year, if not every year.

2. No university (Penn State included) is trying to drive away any season ticket holder. It's not good business. Especially when they've got to sell 90,000 or so of them.

3. As for Joe Paterno, he's the winningest college football coach of all time. He has personally donated millions of dollars back to Penn State. For the most part he has run a clean and classy program. Oh and by the way, his salary (just over $500,000 per year) is regulated by the state of Pennsylvania as he officially is a state employee. He ranks 49th nationwide in salary for division 1 coaches.

4. The fact that football and basketball programs at major universities carry the financial burden for the entire athletic department is no different at Penn State than at any other university. Would you prefer that some kids who happen to be good at cross country or field hockey not get their scholarship help because it's "football" money, and then not be able to attend college?

I attended the Maryland (my alma mater) vs. Virginia Tech game this past weekend. I paid $48 a seat to see the lousy Maryland team get their azz handed to them by one of the nation's best teams. (Ralph Friedgen, our coach, makes a million-four a year.) I would gladly pay Penn State's price to support a winning program and a classy guy like Joe Paterno.

Last edited by Teddyterp; 11-18-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM
 
3,307 posts, read 9,395,737 times
Reputation: 2429
Paterno actually gets paid a lot less than coaches at the other big football schools. For comparison, Nick Saban of Alabama gets $4 million a year. Paterno's salary may be 500k, but the class and prestige he brings to the university is priceless.

Then, of course, there are the donations back to PSU that Teddyterp mentioned. This is a guy that lives in a modest home in the State College suburbs and yet donates enough money to the school to build a library. He's a man that graduates more of his football players than any other coach. Clearly he's got his priorities in the right place.

Anyway, Internet Superman, you don't sound like a season-ticket holder (since you can't stand to watch), so why do you care what the going rate is for tickets? If PSU can't sell out their seats, they'll lower prices. If they continue to sell out, then obviously people think the seats are worth that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
901 posts, read 1,902,399 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
My opinion is that Joe Paterno needs to retire. We do not need old poopy pants to run the show and collect a big salary to raise our prices.
I live in Las Vegas now, but grew up in PA and still follow PSU football religiously. Joe Paterno has done so much for Penn State that goes way beyond football, including donating several million dollars of his own money to help build a new library. Yes, some players have run into trouble in recent years, but he doesn't sweep those problems under the rug like many other big schools/coaches do. He runs a very clean program. Most important, over 80% of his players graduate - national average is 55-60%. I think he has earned the right to retire on his timetable - not mine, yours, or anyone else's.

Quote:
They do not play anyone hard and last weeks game showed us that when they do play a good team - they loose. I can't stand to watch Penn State Football - or Notre Dame for that matter of fact.
Well, it's pretty evident you don't watch. Last weeks game was against Indiana. It wasn't a pretty first half, but the final score was PSU 31 IU 20. Not a powerhouse by any means, but my point is that you seem to have little knowledge of the program. By the way, did you go to Pitt? It's "lose".

If you don't want to pay to go, then don't pay. No one is forcing you to go, or even watch.

Last edited by Trash Can; 11-18-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,974,840 times
Reputation: 304
There is some brain washing going on here.

First off, Joe Paterno's salary is not a mere $500,000 a year.

With the PA right to know act, the newspapers did a investigation into his salary and benefits and to appease the newspapers Penn State threw that number out to get them off their backs.

The actual number is more like 1.5 million per a year, not to mention endorsements. I do not know how much MILANO bread gave him one year to put his name on their bread, but they did not get it for free!

With the endorsements and everything, his salary + benefits is more like 3.5 million per a year.

He has lot's of grub money that he can give back to the University and a library with his name on it is nothing more then a tax write off.

Face worth millions: Paterno’s image an entrepreneur’s delight (http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1998/09/09-12-98cm/09-12-98cm-005.asp - broken link)

Someone here cannot read, because Joe Paterno is not the Winningest coach in college history.

*1. John Gagliardi, Carroll College/St. John's University (1949-2008): 461-125-11
2. Eddie Robinson, Grambling State (1941-1997): 408-168-15
*3. Joe Paterno, Penn State (1966-2008): 383-127-3
*4. Bobby Bowden, Samford/West Virginia/Florida State (1959-2008): 382-123-4

He is the winningest active coach and that is only due to the fact that he is in direct competition with Bobby Bowden and he is afraid that if he retires that Bobby will beat his record and no Italian likes to be #2.

As soon as one retires or dies, the other will win one more game and then they will retire also - just as long as they retire with more wins then the other. It has nothing to do with money.

Old Poopy pants could never teach at the college level on a daily basis at his age and they should make him retire. There is no hard teams on his schedule - and that is why he gets so many wins. Not because his team is so awesome. He would play against Elementary Schools if he could - just as long as the win would count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
901 posts, read 1,902,399 times
Reputation: 1044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet Superman View Post
First off, Joe Paterno's salary is not a mere $500,000 a year.

With the PA right to know act, the newspapers did a investigation into his salary and benefits and to appease the newspapers Penn State threw that number out to get them off their backs.

The actual number is more like 1.5 million per a year, not to mention endorsements. I do not know how much MILANO bread gave him one year to put his name on their bread, but they did not get it for free!

With the endorsements and everything, his salary + benefits is more like 3.5 million per a year.

He has lot's of grub money that he can give back to the University and a library with his name on it is nothing more then a tax write off.
What's your source? Can you post a current link? Even if what you say is true, I could care less what he makes. The football program subsidizes the university, not the other way around. His salary is not coming at taxpayer expense. Since it's not coming out of your pocket, why do you care?

Quote:
Face worth millions: Paterno’s image an entrepreneur’s delight (http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/1998/09/09-12-98cm/09-12-98cm-005.asp - broken link)
What's up with posting stories that are 11 years old?

Quote:
Someone here cannot read, because Joe Paterno is not the Winningest coach in college history.

*1. John Gagliardi, Carroll College/St. John's University (1949-2008): 461-125-11
2. Eddie Robinson, Grambling State (1941-1997): 408-168-15
*3. Joe Paterno, Penn State (1966-2008): 383-127-3
*4. Bobby Bowden, Samford/West Virginia/Florida State (1959-2008): 382-123-4
Most of us are referring to wins in major college football.

Joe Paterno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link above:

Joe Paterno has a career record of 392 wins, 129 losses, and 3 ties (0.750). In his 43 seasons as a head coach, he has had 37 winning seasons (tying him with Bear Bryant). Based on the criteria used by the NCAA, Paterno holds the record for most victories by a Division IA-FBS football coach.

Quote:
He is the winningest active coach and that is only due to the fact that he is in direct competition with Bobby Bowden and he is afraid that if he retires that Bobby will beat his record and no Italian likes to be #2.

As soon as one retires or dies, the other will win one more game and then they will retire also - just as long as they retire with more wins then the other. It has nothing to do with money.
I'm sure he wants to go out on top. Who wouldn't? But I seriously doubt that's his sole motivation for staying. He's in good health - I hope I'm in half as good of shape when I'm 82. Why should he retire when he's still winning and loves the game?

Quote:
Old Poopy pants could never teach at the college level on a daily basis at his age and they should make him retire. There is no hard teams on his schedule - and that is why he gets so many wins. Not because his team is so awesome. He would play against Elementary Schools if he could - just as long as the win would count.
Alabama is on the schedule for 2010 and 2011. Do you consider them as elementary schools?

We get it. You don't like Joe or Penn State football. That's fine - it's still a free country. But you seem like someone who is jealous of others who have done well for themselves in life. No one is forcing you to watch PSU on TV or read about them in the news. And if you choose not to buy a ticket at Beaver Stadium, great. That just means more seats available for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
901 posts, read 1,902,399 times
Reputation: 1044
This is the most important statistic:

Penn State Student-Athletes Continue Record Graduation Rates - PENN STATE OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Quote:
Other highlights from the NCAA Graduation Rates Report:

- Penn State's four-year federal graduation rate for African-American student-athletes was 78 percent, marking the 19th consecutive year the Nittany Lions topped the Division I national average (53 percent). The 82 percent GSR figure for Penn State African-American student-athletes tied the school record and was 19 points higher than the national average.

The Penn State football (85 percent compared to 67), Nittany Lion Basketball (67 to 64 percent) and Lady Lion Basketball (90 to 83 percent) teams all earned four-year Graduation Success Rates higher than the national average for their sport. The 85 percent GSR figure was a record for the Penn State football program, which earned a superlative 89 percent federal graduation rate for student-athletes entering school in 2002-03, tops among all Big Ten Conference football teams.
That is the definition of a successful program, much more important than wins and losses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,713,440 times
Reputation: 1511
The free market will determine if this was a good idea for Penn State. If the fans still pay the new higher price for the tickets and fill the stadium then PSU made a pretty good decision.

If people say no thanks, then PSU will have to reduce the price.

Nothing all that groundbreaking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,974,840 times
Reputation: 304
Penn State University is a State Owned University.

So yes my tax payer dollars is paying his salary. The University is subsidized by the state and not the state being subsidized by the University.

The reason why there is so many unemployed people in this country today is because the old people refuse to retire!

They ought to make a 70 year old cut off. Once you turn 70 - you must retire, regardless of occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top