Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
There's too many damn Yankee fans here in PA and I hate Yankee fans. They are obnoxious punks who think a bunch of overpaid steroid abusers make a good team. Meanwhile they have cleaned up on steroid use since the 90's and guess what, no World Series Titles since 2000. Coincidence? I think not?

Anyway, back to the topic. Every place is a mutt state. America is a mutt country. So it would be safe to say that each state has it's own fair share of outsiders. So don't go ahead and generalize that PA is the only state with diversity, because you're wrong and ignorant

Oh yeah, and the Eagles suck too
I'm a "bandwagon" Yankees fan who switched team allegiance now that the Yankees AAA-affilliate plays ball in Scranton. I LOVE going to see baseball games at PNC Field, and I didn't want to look "out-of-place" sitting there with a Phillies uniform on. As far as football is concerned, I actually hate the sport but claim allegiance towards the Eagles because all of my friends/family are die-hard Eagles fans. I LOVE hockey as well and pledge my allegiance to the Penguins, who also play in our area. Wilkes-Barre is actually becoming more of a hockey town than a football town, as I can't take two steps in our parking lot without seeing Penguins license plate frames, bumper stickers, jerseys, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 12:04 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
I'm wondering if soon PA is going to be seen as PHI, PIT, NY, and even BAL and if so, wouldn't life long PAers or those in the PHI, PIT areas get a little upset their state is starting to be heavily influenced culturally by out of state markets, if not having those markets extend into their territory?
If you've ever been to a bar in northwest Pennsylvania on any given autumn Sunday, you'd quickly gather that the out-of-state teams (Cleveland, Buffalo) collectively have more fans than the Steelers do. As a matter of fact, for better or worse, the NFL considers Erie to be Buffalo territory. As a long-time Browns fan -- and the daughter of Steeler fans -- thank God for out-of-state markets!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
There isn't much you can do about people from other regions, relocating and still being loyal fans of their hometown teams. If the transplantees stay around long enough and the kids get grounded in the new area they eventually will become Philadlephia fans.
Not on your life! Go Browns! Cleveland Rocks!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:18 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
There's too many damn Yankee fans here in PA and I hate Yankee fans. They are obnoxious punks who think a bunch of overpaid steroid abusers make a good team. Meanwhile they have cleaned up on steroid use since the 90's and guess what, no World Series Titles since 2000. Coincidence? I think not?

Anyway, back to the topic. Every place is a mutt state. America is a mutt country. So it would be safe to say that each state has it's own fair share of outsiders. So don't go ahead and generalize that PA is the only state with diversity, because you're wrong and ignorant

Oh yeah, and the Eagles suck too
Grouchy Smurf, is that you?

Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 PM

164 posts, read 200,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Grouchy Smurf, is that you?
The sheep crawls out from under his rock

Old 05-17-2007, 10:05 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
This is one of the most parochial places on earth. Even though 80% of the metro lives in the suburbs 99.9% of us are Philadlephia sports fans, tied at the hip.
Well said, and very true.

New Yorkers may be moving into the area, but I couldn't ever envision Philly fans being "turncoats." The Birds and the Phils are highly regarded around here to the point -- for some -- of fanaticism.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Agreed. I'm a Yankees fan and an Eagles fan.
Yea, count me in on that, too. Although, sorry, I do love the Phil's as I remember them when Mike Schmidt played & long before then as a kid. I guess I'm loyal to the core.

I'm not a big baseball cap wearer (doesn't go with my pink skirts & Manolo Blahnik's!), but living in Boston I have to be careful if I wear a Phillie's or Sixer's baseball cap to the beach for a walk. I've been boo-d (how do you spell boo-d?) by 9-yr olds. Not kidding! Don't care. I am loyal. I remember these teams as a kid. I still wear the caps. I just walk more quickly... And, if they win the World Series again, like in the 80's, I'm going to be very happy. Yank's too. Just the best! Bucky Dent. Name a better looking shortstop, I dare you! And, now Johnny Damon is with the Yank's. Sounds good to me, IMHO.

Hey, perogies, pasties & the Phil's are brilliant PA memories for this little girl with 4 older brothers!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:26 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Well said, and very true.

New Yorkers may be moving into the area, but I couldn't ever envision Philly fans being "turncoats." The Birds and the Phils are highly regarded around here to the point -- for some -- of fanaticism.
That is totally missing my point.
Here is what I was suggesting:
-If NEPA and Lehigh Valley are becoming home to many ex NYers, than will the influx of NYers dilute the stranglehold of PA'ers support for the PHI teams?
With all the NY transplants not that PHI fans would switch to NY teams but that there just would be more NY fans since there would be more NY people and that would lead to 1) More NY fans at PHI games and 2) Less homogenoity.
Get it?

Two further questions

1) Easton and Stroudsburg, PA both are in PA and not far from PHI but slightly closer and in the areas in question to NY, are they split, or more NY than PHI for teams? What stations do they get?

2) Is it common to have Criss crossers, NY fans in 1 sport, PHI in another, how could any true PHI or NYer do that between two hated cities...or is it more that in baseball PHI doesn't have the same fanataical following...interefering less with the NY base in PA?

Thanks.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I think baseball is much less fanaticial in Pennsylvania. People don't talk about it, it's not written up that much in the papers. Around here when the Eagles play, people plan meetings and events around their schedules. The newspapers follow what goes on at their summer camp. I have a 4 play subscription to a local University with 3 friends and last year we considered leaving at the intermission because the Eagles game was starting.

I think it would be easy to be a NY baseball fan and Philadelphia football fan because we just don't care who you like with baseball.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:46 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittensPurr View Post
Bucky Dent. Name a better looking shortstop, I dare you!
He's the bench coach with the Reds now. And still not a bad-lookin' guy!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think baseball is much less fanaticial in Pennsylvania. People don't talk about it, it's not written up that much in the papers. Around here when the Eagles play, people plan meetings and events around their schedules. The newspapers follow what goes on at their summer camp. I have a 4 play subscription to a local University with 3 friends and last year we considered leaving at the intermission because the Eagles game was starting.

I think it would be easy to be a NY baseball fan and Philadelphia football fan because we just don't care who you like with baseball.
Not true for all of PA. I would agree with you if you're talking about Philly. Football (the Eagles) are definitely #1 in Philly, and I would even say that the Flyers are bigger than the Phillies in Philly. But the fans down there will jump on the bandwagon if the Phillies decide to win.

NEPA, however, is a big baseball area (as well as a big football area)....which I think is more evidence of a New York influence in the area. Baseball is THE sport in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania