Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:39 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,667,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steams View Post
You need to lighten up. people in the philly area are sarcastic and will complement you and insult you in one sentence. We do it out of love because we enjoy a good jabbing ourselves. Its a deep rooted mindset and comes from our losing sports teams. Other parts of the country do not understand it and take it for rudeness but be assured I'm sure they felt they were being nice to you.

Born & raised in Philly, and have also lived in Chicago. If anyone has reason to be frustrated sports fans, one word: CUBBIES. At least we had multiple Championship appearances from 1980-1983, two of five taking the titles. And the Iggles' postseasons of late.

I moved back recently and my own family does not realize how they jump down at each others' throats for merely stating a thought or opinion, for they've never lived outside this region. They believe the way they act all hostile and defensive just towards each other is normal all over the country. Chicago is a metro with crowded thououghfares, crime, etc. and I've never lived in a more pleasant environment (including Wrigley Field visits with Lee striking out in the 9th with bases juiced ).

I'll put this as nicely as I can:
Philly area has a misery loves company mentality. Simple as that
Just find something to batch about -- heck, invent something if you have to --and people will instantly bond with you.

With that said, some of the nicest (and most successful) people I'd ever been around in this region are from the Paoli and Main Line Area. A friend of 19 years resides in West Chester. To echo the neurvo-riche sentiment above, I found the most affluent much nicer than folks closer to my own tax bracket (which would be the very next brackets up from Blue. They're just so superior to everybody because they have juuust a little bit more ...)

WC's a lovely area with nice people, who are happier with their lives, in the mix. You're sure to run into a bunch. Just complain about anything to fit in with the rest (hopefully the minority; haven't been out there since late '90s). Good luck.

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-27-2007 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetopa View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am certain that I would not enjoy the sarcasm. I knew these personalities were prevalent throughout the northeast (NY, NJ, Boston) but did not think outside Philly was part of that culture. I've been to Lancaster Co. and it is much more laid back..
Although they border one another, there is honestly a world of difference between Lancaster and Chester Counties. The Philly area is certainly just as much a part of the Northeast as the areas you've mentioned. Nevertheless, you will be ables to find some more laid-back/rural enclaves, especially in the Western part of ChesCo -- they're just not as prevalent as they used to be.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,918 times
Default yes, we're rude

Quote:
Originally Posted by movetopa View Post
I was very disappointed today visiting Chester County, where I might relocate for a job. I have heard so many nice things about the West Chester area, but I found that random people I spoke with were impatient and rude. They cut me off while I was speaking and it seemed very similar to the New York City metro area in attitude and culture. Is this characteristic of all of Chester County.. or just the West Chester area? Thanks
I've lived either on the Main Line or in Chester County my whole life--mostly in Paoli, which is actually where both areas overlap. What I consider normal is definitely what would be rude elsewhere; when I travel, I find what you would probably consider "friendliness" to be basically a combination of lethargy and lack of respect for the value of anyone's time. Also, we're statistically more likely to be natives than almost anywhere else in the country. So, never having been newcomers, we're not all that sympathetic or helpful to those who are.

Subjectively, Chester County definitely gets "friendlier" as you travel south and west. As many have noted, Lancaster County is friendlier still.

Census data might tell you something, as Lancaster County has a median household income about 1/3 less than that of Chester County. Income and "friendliness" may be inversely proportional; as the value of the average person's time gets nearer to zero, you're more likely to spend it happily chatting with strangers.

Pennsylvania QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 05-28-2007, 06:41 AM

26 posts, read 129,343 times
Thank you I appreciate the insight, it is helpful!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,901 times
Angry Chester County has gone to HE**

I am sorry to say this, but the whole Chester County area has really changed alot in the past few years. I am only 25, but have lived in the area my whole life and things here have never been as bad as they are now- and they just continue to get worse. The people here think that they are better than everyone else and they can do whatever they want. When I say the people I don't mean the long-term, or native Chester Co. residents, I mean the "yuppies" who have moved into the area, who think that they are God's gift to the world and feel as if they have the right to do whatever they want; and won't have to ever pay any consequences for doing so. The rest of the world doesnt put up with these people's attitudes and rudeness- why should we, as Chester County residents; put up with it??

They are totally ruining the county. Sorry for my bitterness, but I am so, so tired of the kids in the Wawa, blocking everything up; the people driving horribly on Route 202, the parents who think that babysitting means dropping the kids off at the Exton Mall on Friday night. It is just so out of control?

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just too observant of all the bad things and not enough of the good ones?

Old 05-28-2007, 10:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCJR View Post
I am sorry to say this, but the whole Chester County area has really changed alot in the past few years. I am only 25, but have lived in the area my whole life and things here have never been as bad as they are now- and they just continue to get worse.

I feel yer pain !

Im 48 and live in VT now, but I was born and grew up in West Chester.
I have seen some real change. I prefer the way it was back n the 70's
actually. As to be expected, the developers were allowed to run wild
(research how many CC Planning Comm. members have ties to
developers !! ) and determine its course and heres where we are now.
The only good thing is some positives did come out of the WC growth
whereas other areas really went down from a quality of life standpoint
for the established residents.
But yeah, I long for ye daze of olde(70's & 80's) when West Chester
was a real tight little community, but everyone everywhere says that, right ?

Old 05-29-2007, 02:19 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,495,621 times
Quote:
They are totally ruining the county. Sorry for my bitterness, but I am so, so tired of the kids in the Wawa, blocking everything up; the people driving horribly on Route 202, the parents who think that babysitting means dropping the kids off at the Exton Mall on Friday night. It is just so out of control?

Does anyone else feel this way or am I just too observant of all the bad things and not enough of the good ones?
While I don't necessarily disagree, I don't think this type of attitude is exclusive to Chester County. I really think this is a national trend -- people generally aren't as considerate about one another these days; there is much more self-centeredness. This is especially common in both urban and suburban areas. However, I wouldn't misconstrue that to mean that every part of rural America is a bastion of hospitality.

So no, you aren't the only one noticing this. I think it just boils down to our modern social mores.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 83,158 times
Quote:
I am sorry to say this, but the whole Chester County area has really changed alot in the past few years. I am only 25, but have lived in the area my whole life and things here have never been as bad as they are now- and they just continue to get worse. The people here think that they are better than everyone else and they can do whatever they want. When I say the people I don't mean the long-term, or native Chester Co. residents, I mean the "yuppies" who have moved into the area, who think that they are God's gift to the world and feel as if they have the right to do whatever they want; and won't have to ever pay any consequences for doing so. The rest of the world doesnt put up with these people's attitudes and rudeness- why should we, as Chester County residents; put up with it??

How have they changed? Before you hate an entire group of people you should look at yourself too. Your so called "Yuppies" aren't to blame , you are. Your parents had kids and you grew up and live here now too. The population is growing. I have lived here my entire live. Kids were always hanging out at the Wawa , people were always driving like maniacs on 202 and parents always dropped thier kids off at the mall or anywhere else that would take them. The only real different is that there are more people living here than before. Move out about 15 min. from Exton or west chester and it will be like when you were a kid.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 PM

70 posts, read 232,836 times
Default times are a changin...not for the better imo

cjcjr I know where you're coming from. I think it's just that the whole damn world has changed. Cell phones, internet... hurry, hurry, move, move, rush, rush.... I wish it was the 70's again

Old 06-29-2007, 03:09 PM

641 posts, read 2,363,886 times
I see no difference in Chester county from the rest of the state. Straight out mean & rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania