Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,486 times

Advertisements

I'm in a dilemma. I live in southern California between Los Angeles and San Diego. I was in the Army for 3 years, came back, and got called back again for another year. During the time I was gone I became pretty distant with most of my friends and people I associated with here. I also realized that the friends I met in the Army from the east and the south were, in general, a lot more genuine than my friends in California. I've been dissatisfatisfied with the culture here for a long time, and having to come back only cements that view for me. People have giant bubbles, they want you to prove that you're good enough to be friends with them, almost every girl I've dated has been a habitual liar, and did I mention the bubble? In fact, I think that the only place to meet decent people here is church. I have nothing against church, but I tend to be a little different than the people I meet there.

I'm single, 24, and starting college next semester. A little late, right? Well, I was in the Army for 4 years with 2 deployments to Iraq. My dilemma is this: I like San Diego, I like the environment, but I just find myself not relating to the people here, especially those my age. I've been wanting to live on the east coast, just for a change of scenery, I guess. But also I really like rich history and culture, some of what is lacking on the west coast. I lived in Europe for over a year and really enjoyed it for those reasons. But what I'd like to know is, are there any like sterile suburban-type urban areas over there, and where? San Diego has plenty of places like that, such as Mission Valley. I was looking at Philadelphia because I have friends in the area and it seemed like a nice city, but I'd rather not live in the ghetto. If you can provide any suggestions, don't feel compelled to limit yourself to PA. I'm open to suggestions all along the East Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
What you liked about San Diego's environment that you're hoping to find on the east coast? Is it the weather? You won't find that ANYWHERE on the east coast.

What do you mean by 'sterile suburban-type urban areas?' I don't think anyone can answer that question without your defining it.

If you want to live in a walkable urban neighborhood that has a suburban type feel (tree lined streets and yards) in a mid-sized city that has culture, Pittsburgh's East End neighborhoods could be the place for you. You can walk to the many universities from CMU to Pitt and others. The museum is even within walking distance from many East End neighborhoods too. The cost of living is unbelievably low. The people are super friendly---like your friends you met in the military.

Without any further information, that's all I can recommend at this time.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Pennsylvania doesn't have "sterile suburban-type urban areas"....we have the real thing and most of us prefer it.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesierra View Post
I'm in a dilemma. I live in southern California between Los Angeles and San Diego. I was in the Army for 3 years, came back, and got called back again for another year. During the time I was gone I became pretty distant with most of my friends and people I associated with here. I also realized that the friends I met in the Army from the east and the south were, in general, a lot more genuine than my friends in California. I've been dissatisfatisfied with the culture here for a long time, and having to come back only cements that view for me. People have giant bubbles, they want you to prove that you're good enough to be friends with them, almost every girl I've dated has been a habitual liar, and did I mention the bubble? In fact, I think that the only place to meet decent people here is church. I have nothing against church, but I tend to be a little different than the people I meet there.

I'm single, 24, and starting college next semester. A little late, right? Well, I was in the Army for 4 years with 2 deployments to Iraq. My dilemma is this: I like San Diego, I like the environment, but I just find myself not relating to the people here, especially those my age. I've been wanting to live on the east coast, just for a change of scenery, I guess. But also I really like rich history and culture, some of what is lacking on the west coast. I lived in Europe for over a year and really enjoyed it for those reasons. But what I'd like to know is, are there any like sterile suburban-type urban areas over there, and where? San Diego has plenty of places like that, such as Mission Valley. I was looking at Philadelphia because I have friends in the area and it seemed like a nice city, but I'd rather not live in the ghetto. If you can provide any suggestions, don't feel compelled to limit yourself to PA. I'm open to suggestions all along the East Coast.
Mike..

San Diego is an animal unto itself. I went to boot camp there and spent some time at Pendelton/Oceanside. I could never imagine living out there again as a civilian due to the astronomical cost of living.

I don't know of too many "sterile" suburbs and personally, I wouldn't live in one, but that's my own choice.

Some cities/areas you may want to consider are:

South Florida/Miami area

Atlanta

DC/MD VA area..A great place if you are looking to work in the federal government.

Philadelphia. Not all of Philly is "ghetto" and the city and region have some very nice areas.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Nowhere in Pa.. Most of Pa. is old east Coast industrial cities. Philly has alot of suburban areas, newer and older, but honestly, you'll be trading down big time IMO. I'll trade you houses. I'd take beautiful, warm, young, oceanside San Diego over cold, bitter, post industrial, crooked, rust belt Pennsylvania anyday. You can have our history, I'll take your 80 degree December's. Deal?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times
Northeast Philly, or even Manayunk is probably your best bet for "subarban like", but still in city living. Bala Cynwyd, Upper, Lower Darby come to mind (just outside the city). I'd post on the Philadelphia forum though, they "are" the Philly forum, and are much more knowledgable about Philly then I.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
You're not going to get that type of experience along the east coast....however, I would say that it would be worth it to check into cities like Charlotte and Atlanta. Both are "new" cities with the style that you'd prefer(I think I know what you're talking about), however Atlanta will definately have some of that West Coast glamour factor that you're looking to find. Both cities have that sort of "clean urban, but safely developed by design and intent" type of feel as opposed to the older, grittier type of NE urban feel that you'll get from Pittsburgh and Philly. Specifically, the Buckhead area(basically another upscale city within the metro Atlanta region)of Atlanta should be within the ballpark of San Diego lifestyle. Other than that, you might want to consider affordable parts of Florida like Tampa/St. Pete, or venture into Miami or Fort Lauderdale if that's your type of place. I mean in terms of the coast and climate, there's nothing outside of Florida that can come close to California's coastal cities...and that's still a different animal all together.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I think he wants to live in Pennsylvania somewhere. Why else would he post this in the Pennsylvania forum?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think he wants to live in Pennsylvania somewhere. Why else would he post this in the Pennsylvania forum?
Except if you are looking for San Diego, PA is the last place to look, if that is really what he wants. I don't know what to recomend because i don't think the OP knows himself what he wants except it probably isn't like San Diego. Atlanta isn't a bad place to start except I hear the economy isn't so hot right now. Most people seem to agree that florida is in ruins. Having friends nearby is always a plus so Philly is worth a look as well.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:04 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Except if you are looking for San Diego, PA is the last place to look, if that is really what he wants. I don't know what to recomend because i don't think the OP knows himself what he wants except it probably isn't like San Diego. Atlanta isn't a bad place to start except I hear the economy isn't so hot right now. Most people seem to agree that florida is in ruins. Having friends nearby is always a plus so Philly is worth a look as well.
Florida is alive and well, not in ruins in any sense of the imagination but I would not move here without a job lined up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania