Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:31 AM

712 posts, read 1,971,165 times

Advertisements

Stauton is pretty stuck up - in my opinion.

Those girls that goes to the Mary Baldwin College over there all drives BMW's and Mercedes..

Although if you do get lonely, you can always go visit the prison over there.
Lot's of guys that would be willing to listen with lots of time on their hands.

Waynesboro is no better. The last time I was there, there was like two bars in the whole town. Lucky Corners and Lynn's.

Lucky Corners was a gun and knife club and they didn't like Yankee's.

I went to a dance at Lynn's and the smoke was about 4 feet from touching the floor.

Charlottesville is like going to Pittsburgh, lot's of people and lot's of stores.

The only problem that I have with recommending either of them was what you said about the weather. Waynesboro had just as much snow last winter as did central Pa. There were times where the snow laid on the ground for several weeks at a clip.

I would say that Bull's Gap Tenn would be a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:04 AM

190 posts, read 866,754 times
Beaufort, SC is adorable, but it is not four seasons, and the area has high crime. Something we've found for some reason is common as you head south. Just check the towns on City Data for stats.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 AM

608 posts, read 1,346,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Woof View Post
Hi - I am looking to relocate from the Bethlehem, Pa area to a "New Hope of the South". For those you live in the New Hope PA area and have travelled, is there any city in Va, NC, SC that you think resembles New Hope, Pa.?
Things I like about New Hope:
> that unique combination of small art town with beautiful surrounding countryside
> can just hang out downtown
> other things to do in surrounding area - not an isolated pocket by itself
> I love the surrounding area- Buckingham, Solebury, Peddlers Village, etc.

I am single female in early 50s (who thinks she is still 35) with golden retriever, so need pet friendly area.

All insight would be appreciated.
I would suggest visiting Savannah. They have a major arts university in the city SCAD and there are art museums and stuff around the city. The downtown historical area is beautiful with rich history. There is a main touristy street (river street) which is nice. Once you get outside of the city the area is beautiful, its marsh land but it is beautiful and there are other things to do outside the city. Home prices are not bad, and it is very pet friendly lots of people have dogs.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree that Savannah is great. It's one of my favorite places. In the interest of full disclosure - I'd want that if I were seriously considering a move somewhere - Savannah has VERY high crime. Look at City Data. 470.1 vs. national average of 320.9.

When we visited, we stayed on one of the nicest streets in the historic district (called the prettiest street in Savannah). We arrived @5pm, and decided to walk around and see what was open on a Sunday night for dinner.

As we were walking down this pretty little street, a woman stopped and said "You're not from here, are you? You really shouldn't be out walking at night. There are lots of muggings - I'd suggest you walk in the middle of the street, not near the bushes, and not go far." I thought, OK, maybe she's just overly cautious.

The next day while walking around town, we spotted a daily newspaper. On the front page was a story - "40 year old mother gunned down in supermarket parking lot". Shot dead bringing her groceries to her car. Random act. Robbery was the motive.

Plenty of people live there with no problem, and I guess you just learn to deal with it, but I don't want to always be looking over my shoulder where I live. I guess I'm spoiled. Where we live crime index is @93.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:06 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
MacDebbie--we are most certainly 2 peas in a pod--I agree 110% with everything you say!!! I can't believe how closely our sentiments agree with each other.

I grew up in a small mid-western town & spent 11 years in Mechanicsburg, PA. I loved PA & the area we were in--so close to so many cities, historical places, beautiful scenery everywhere, etc. etc. We moved to Orlando 10 years ago and I have wanted out for almost as long. Now that I just about have my 4 kids all thru high school, we are nearing the point where we can finally head back that direction somewhat.

I have made so many trips to the southeastern states during the last 3 years looking for my utopia. Williamsburg has been at or near the top of my list for a very long time. It is one of those towns that I keep going back to every time I am up there. The biggest drawback for me is that it is a smaller town. It is very easily accessible to many larger cities. I just haven't found the larger city vibe/connection that I am looking for. I suppose I am looking for something that has the feel of Philadelphia or Baltimore closeby--and I just haven't found that in Richmond or the Hampton Roads area. Don't know if I just haven't hit the right areas of these cities or what.

Also, like you, tho I do find that I like many of the cities you mentioned--and I love rolling hills and mountains, I personally feel isloated in a lot of those towns. I love the Greenville, SC downtown area, but wonder if it is too far from the I-95 corridor which puts me on route to all of the cities I have come to greatly miss.

I too am wanting a bit milder winter than that of PA--or I would go back up there. I love Boston---etc. I am an American hisstory fanatic. Exploring old buildings and architecture is a passion of mine.

A few other towns I would add to the OP's list are Fredericksburg, VA, and Alexandria, VA. I liked Waynesville, NC--but it is much, much smaller. The same would be said for many of the other quaint, charming mountain towns--Dahlonega, GA; Cashiers, NC; Banner Elk, NC, Gatlinburg, TN.

This has turned into a real tug-of-war for me as the more I explore, the more places I discover that seem just heavenly...By the time I figure out where I should move to, I'll be too broke to do it..

Williamsburg is wonderful as it is full of history. The town itself is actually a bit hilly, it's close to several large cities, close to the beach & close to the mountains..

and, MadamWoof--I know exactly what you mean by being 50, but thinking I am 35!!!! I am way too young to be this old!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 10:23 AM

itsajourney -

That is too funny. Yes, I am 52, about to turn 53, and never mind the money part, by the time I find my utopia, I will be long dead and gone!

I think you would feel very isolated in Greenville. I did. It just felt "closed in" to me.

I hear what you are saying about Williamsburg, and I have the same issue - not being near a big city. We haven't been to Richmond, so I have no idea what it is like. There's also the issue of the heat and humidity. We've all been in a heat wave on the East Coast this summer, but they've hit - 109!! - yikes.

Our favorite area is Napa Valley, CA, which just can't afford. We love the beauty of that area, the smallish towns like St. Helena, which although really small for our taste, are acceptable because there is a "string" of towns all together, and then Sonoma Valley to explore just over the hill. Not far is Mendocino, and San Francisco down the opposite direction. That, to me would be perfect. But, until that lottery comes in....

Since you have lived in PA, what do you think of the Brandywine area? Those towns, I know, are very small, but the proximity to Philly and NYC are intriguing. In particular, I liked the looks of West Chester and Kennett Square. We are going out in April (my husband has a conference) to see that area, and also check out Doylestown/New Hope. I remember them slightly from when I lived in Allentown and liked them both. We not be buying much with housing costs though.

Some other places on my list yet to check out - I know the more you read.... Newark, DE, Havre de Grace, MD (I think it's too small for us) and Frederick, MD. We had friends that lived in Alexandria, and couldn't stand the traffic. Fredericksburg I think has the same problem.

Boston is great, but SO pricey! And cold. And snowy. I am also a history and architecture buff, though, so wherever we go has to have a sense of history and be architecturally pleasing. Have you been to Nantucket? Never could afford it there, but even though it's remote it's such a special place.

I hear what you are saying about the beautiful little mountain towns. Aside from being small themselves, I just feel claustrophobic. I need bigger places around me and other towns nearby. I think that might be a New England concept. When we visited Easton, MD, we were surprised how far away towns seemed from each other - lots of rural land.

Keep me posted on your hunt. Maybe we can swap pics and stories and cut our travel costs in half!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:25 PM

9 posts, read 21,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rreidnauer View Post
I worked in New Hope for 10 years, (and still work in the area) and the only other place I have knowledge of which could be described as being similar to New Hope, would be Key West. However, this fails to meet your "not an isolated pocket" requirement by the greatest degree.

Many of the towns along the Florida coast are similar. Delray, West Palm ect.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
itsajourney -

That is too funny. Yes, I am 52, about to turn 53, and never mind the money part, by the time I find my utopia, I will be long dead and gone!

I think you would feel very isolated in Greenville. I did. It just felt "closed in" to me.

I hear what you are saying about Williamsburg, and I have the same issue - not being near a big city. We haven't been to Richmond, so I have no idea what it is like. There's also the issue of the heat and humidity. We've all been in a heat wave on the East Coast this summer, but they've hit - 109!! - yikes.

Our favorite area is Napa Valley, CA, which just can't afford. We love the beauty of that area, the smallish towns like St. Helena, which although really small for our taste, are acceptable because there is a "string" of towns all together, and then Sonoma Valley to explore just over the hill. Not far is Mendocino, and San Francisco down the opposite direction. That, to me would be perfect. But, until that lottery comes in....

Since you have lived in PA, what do you think of the Brandywine area? Those towns, I know, are very small, but the proximity to Philly and NYC are intriguing. In particular, I liked the looks of West Chester and Kennett Square. We are going out in April (my husband has a conference) to see that area, and also check out Doylestown/New Hope. I remember them slightly from when I lived in Allentown and liked them both. We not be buying much with housing costs though.

Some other places on my list yet to check out - I know the more you read.... Newark, DE, Havre de Grace, MD (I think it's too small for us) and Frederick, MD. We had friends that lived in Alexandria, and couldn't stand the traffic. Fredericksburg I think has the same problem.

Boston is great, but SO pricey! And cold. And snowy. I am also a history and architecture buff, though, so wherever we go has to have a sense of history and be architecturally pleasing. Have you been to Nantucket? Never could afford it there, but even though it's remote it's such a special place.

I hear what you are saying about the beautiful little mountain towns. Aside from being small themselves, I just feel claustrophobic. I need bigger places around me and other towns nearby. I think that might be a New England concept. When we visited Easton, MD, we were surprised how far away towns seemed from each other - lots of rural land.

Keep me posted on your hunt. Maybe we can swap pics and stories and cut our travel costs in half!
Oh.....if only we could somehow cut those costs--wouldn't that be just wonderful!!!

I have literally been through Virginia & North Carolina--just about everywhere. Have hit all of the major cities and oodles of the smaller towns. Spent a lot of time searching the north side of Atlanta and northern Georgia mountain towns...also to include Athens, Gainesville, & Madison. Have scoured the northern South Carolina area.

Loved the beauty of historical Charleston, SC & Savannah, GA along the coasts. I wasn't as impressed with Wilmington, NC as I thought I might be--perhaps too small and isolated for me. Also found the flat terrain to be boring to me. I am not really a fanatic about being by the beach. I can take it or leave it. I am, however, in love with my Pennsylvania rolling hills, small mountains, & all of the historical charm & character that comes with almost every town you go thru. As I said, I could almost go back to PA if winters were a bit milder.

I love New England for the reasons you mention also--but way too long & cold in the winter for me.

In 2004 I lived in Cary, NC (Raleigh) for 6 months....absolutely loved living there at the time. I had my hills, trees, lakes, etc., but what I find/feel lacking in North Carolina is the rich Colonial history that I experienced in PA. Have gone back to the Raleigh area several times--and it just isn't quite the same as in 2004. I think I am also searching more for the history with these trips--which may be why I haven't found my niche. Old Salem in Winston-Salem is very nice, but Winston-Salem just didn't "feel" quite right. If I go any further west than that, I find that I start to feel "isolated" from that I-95 corridor--which I have come to know must be a key/essential thing for me. Being in Raleigh, put me close enough to I-95 that it wasn't really an issue at the time.

I was in Philadelphia for several days last September--and I LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!!!The historical areas were even more beautiful to me than I had remembered them to be--I suppose due to my lack of having such surroundings close by for so long now. I didn't venture into much of Bucks County or the Brandywine area at all--but I used to love both of those areas when we lived there.

Baltimore gets slammed a lot--but there were many areas of Baltimore that I also really liked. Right now I can't put my finger on it exactly, but I really loved the vibe/feel of the Philly & Baltimore areas. I haven't been into Frederick in probably 10 years. It seems to me that there was some revitalization going on in the downtown area, but I just didn't spend much time there--definitely not enough to evaluate it fairly anyway.

As far as Fredericksburg, right now I would say that it is pretty much on the edge of the DC metro for commuting into DC. There is a lot of traffic, but I didn't find it to be overwhelming--and not nearly like being closer to DC. Fredericksburg is a cute, charming town with a nice downtown area filled with interesting shops.

Lots of people rave about Charlottsville--so I always think I am missing something. To me, it is overrated, but the surrounds are beautiful for sure. Lynchburg has some beautiful old homes, but probably not for me as a place to live. It's too small and fits into that "feeling isolated" category.

For a long time I have struggled with the issue of not minding the heat, but hating the extreme humidity we have in Florida. I often wondered if I would like the drier heat out west somewhere. I have been able to put that notion firmly to rest now. In June I was in Las Vegas on business and rented a car to drive to Sedona, Az. I just returned from 9 days in San Antonio, Texas. Though each has many great things and I do like the dry heat MUCh better, there are not nearly enough trees & green for me in the western part of the country. Towns & cities are way too far apart. The colonial history doesn't even make the grade out there...Hence, I am
comfortable in knocking the western part of the country out. Didn't really care for S.California too much when I was there a few years ago either.

Short of going back to Maryland or Pennsylvania, Virginia probably comes closest to meeting what I am really seeking. I've taken most of my trips during Dec/Jan so that I would have a good feel for winters there. They really aren't that bad--at least for a short-time basis. Only time will tell how it suits me on an extended day to day living scenario should I end up there.

No, not been to Nantucket. Been to Cape Cod and other areas of New England more than a couple of times. I do love New England. I like the concept of being able to drive through several states within a short period of time...To me that was always so neat--even tho it's all in the head, but oh well--so it goes.

They are having the kind of summer in Virginia & North Carolina that we have every year in Florida. Only for us it lasts from May thru the end of November. I just can't do this heat anymore and I hate running the AC all the time.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Richmond. To me it feels VERY different than Philly or Baltimore. There are some really neat historical areas & people have always been very nice to me, but it hasn't sold itself to me yet. Same with Hampton Roads. Sometimes I feel like I am zeroing in on something and then I start thinking about all the great things about so many other areas--and I end up more confuwed than ever. Seriously tho, I feel like I will either end up back in Raleigh or somewhere between Richmond & Philadelphia. I will be making a very fast trip up to VA & NC next week as I am taking my daughter to look at several colleges. I'll see how it strikes me this time around. I am planning on heading up in September for a very extended trip with hopes of putting this issue to bed and moving forward with it.

Sorry for such a LONG post here.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:07 AM

Loved your post! Now I know I am not the only one going through this.

One place we are going to try and see with our trip next year to Philly that someone brought to my attention - Haddonfield, NJ. It looks adorable. Reminds me of Williamsburg. Very historic. And only 9 miles from Philly. I don't know how the winters are compared to Williamsburg, but worth checking out.

I am with you on the West Coast. We also like dry heat/air much, much better, but couldn't find anything other than Napa/Sonoma area that we fell in love with but can't afford. Mendocino is too small and isolated and expensive, and further north is too wet. Same with Seattle/Portland and other WA and OR towns - too wet.

We looked into Ashland, OR (haven't been) but it is isolated - far from a major city and alot of people now moving up from CA driving the prices up.

Like you, I think we will end up VA/PA or perhaps NJ. We'll see when the time comes. We both really loved Madison, IN, and the prices are ridiculously low for housing, but it felt a little too isolated for us.

Don't remember if you said you had been to Annapolis. Since you liked Baltimore, I don't think it's that far, and Annapolis is adorable. Or was when I was there ages ago.

I hear you on the driving distance between places. I am so used to everything being right next to each other. Can't get used to miles and miles of rural land in between places. Makes the drive seem so much longer, or something.

We didn't spend much time in Raleigh, but it was my favorite part of NC. I know what you mean about the lack of historic feel. It just felt "bland" to us.

The hunt continues.....

Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 AM

2 Funny!!! You are either a niteowl like me--or an early, early bird.....

I grew up in Illinois so I know a lot about Indiana. Used to love going to Brown County & Nashville, IN for Covered Bridge Festival. I love Chicago, but will never go back to those winters on a permanent basis. For me, it's pretty much back for the weddings & funerals--Right now, the funerals are way ahead of the weddings...and so it goes when you are at the age we are and the aunts & uncles, etc. are 20-30 years older than we are.....

By the way, you said you had a birthday coming up---Are you by chance an August or September baby? I am early September.

Yes, I have been to Annapolis-tho it has been a long while ago...It is BEAUTIFUL & very expensive. I also used to really like Leesburg, VA. Again, it's been a while so I don't know if it has grown and become heavily congested or not. There are many beautiful farms in that area.

If you are going to be looking in NJ also, you might give Mullica Hill a look. It's on the south end of Philly--and not far across the bridge either. It would be like a Haddonfield distance wise, but not as congested. Have you ever been down to Cape May? Of course, NJ is full of history and lots of wonderful towns....I think I have just always thought of it as being tooooooo expensive.

Delaware is tooooo flat for me. Nice for some tax-free shopping tho. I wonder if PA is still tax-free on clothing???? With 4 kids, that was always nice.

If you have time when you are in Philly next April, you should go to Longwood Gardens if time allows. Used to be gorgeous--if the spring flowers are still in bloom, that would be heaven.

I think Maryland has a lot of really nice historical towns also. Again, I wouldn't like it too much on the eastern shore side--as it is too flat and yes, towns are very far apart. Maryland doesn't give me that isolated feeling on the "mainland" side until you get past Frederick and more towards Hagerstown.

I am pretty sure Havre DeGrace would be too small for you. York & Lancaster give you very easy and quick access to both Baltimore & Philadelphia--which is what I LOVED about being in the Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area. A lot of people also liked the Hershey area.

I don't think they are for me any longer as I have gotten so used to living in a large city. It's weird and hard to explain, but even though I rarely leave my area of Orlando, my mind knows I live in this huge metropolitan area that stretches for miles and miles with endless opportunites for things to do and I don't think I am willing to give that up. I like being on the fringe area of cities so that I have the best of both worlds--the city and the country--both a short distance away. I might not like the traffic of a city, but it doesn't ruffle my feathers any longer because I appreciate all I have available to do. Everything comes with tradeoffs--obviously It's just figuring out the "must haves" and what fits the bill best.

I will have to pull out the map and refresh my mind on some other wonderful places I've experienced up there.

AND, YES......isn't it such a nice feeling to know that others struggle with the same issues. It gives me validation. I came across these little words of wisdom and they seem to fit me perfectly: ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST!

I am NEVER lost, I'm just on a long detour!!! :-)

Last edited by itsajourney; 08-03-2010 at 02:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania