Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 12:06 PM

38 posts, read 140,046 times

Advertisements

Am planning on moving to/near Princeton, NJ for job. I've never been there so was hoping those who have lived either in NJ or Pa would know of towns that would be nice for a family with younger kids.

We're looking for a town with:
1. excellent schools for my preschoolers
2. low crime, safe to walk around at night
3. somewhat near a highway to get to Princeton (traffic in the am/pm?)
4. good /convenient shopping/activities for the kids (swimming, dancing, community rec ctr offering kids programs)
5. that quaint small town friendly feel (where the drycleaner, grocery clerk, pharmacist acutally knows your name and smiles at you)

I know that's quite a laundry list, but that's our ideal. But, most importantly it's the schools and proximity to hwy to get to work that's paramount here.

We're moving from Charlotte, NC (via California). We have a 3500sq ft home, for $400K on 1/2acre wooded lot in NC. Property taxes are about $1.2K. I hate to leave after being cramped in an 1,100sq ft condo in Ca. for $700K...moving to NC was a dream. So, we're accustomed to high housing and outrageous gas prices but not necessarily high income taxes or property taxes.

I've heard that property taxes & income taxes are high in NJ and housing is a little more expensive then in NC. So, we're also considering Pennslyvania near the border with NJ.

Are property taxes high in Pa? What other cost of living issues make Pa. costly?

Anyone, have any thoughts on:

A. The difference in income / property taxes between NJ & Pa

B. Any nearby towns that fit our criteria
-(eg. specific town names or subdivision developments)
-Have read some posts regarding New Hope, Newtown & Doylestown?
-How about Yardley, Pineville, Woodside, Woodbourne, Fairless Hills, Langhourne?
-Are there new subdivision/developments along the river? (flooding a problem?)

C. What's the best public and private school in Bucks County?

D. General appeal between NJ or PA towns and the people, preferably from someone who has lived or worked extensively in either states.

Sorry for all the questions. I've posted on the NJ site as well but so far not many responses...maybe Pa. residents are nicer. We're just trying to decide whether it's finacially/socially better to live in NJ or Pa.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated. HELP! HELP! HELP!

Old 07-23-2006, 12:41 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,061 times
Newtown, and Yardley would both be excellent and convenient choices. In both cases, your husband could easily drive the short distance to the Trenton train station and take NJ Transit to Princeton.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,537 times
Hands down, DuBois PA.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:54 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Lower Makefield, Yardley and Newtown will all fit the bill and are in close proximity to Princeton.

You will likely get more help for this in the Philadelphia Forum.

There is not much difference in income in the areas. Bucks County, specifically Newtown area is very wealthy, just like Princeton... you won't find much of a difference.

The area is served by two different great public schools, Pennsbury and Council Rock, with Council Rock being the better district. Not sure on Private schools

Property taxes in NJ, especially Central and North Jersey are going to be significantly higher than in PA. My girlfriends family moved from Lawrencville (close to Princeton) to Newtown for the cheaper property taxes and better schools (in Lawrencville... think Princeton has good schools).

1. addressed the schools... they are great in this area, with Council Rock being top notch.

2. extremely low crime areas... Newtown, Yardley and New Hope all have really nice walkable downtown boroughs with shops, restaurants, bars, etc.

3. All three are near I-95. Take I-95 to Route 1... Route 1 to Princeton. Traffic shouldn't be terrible. Route 1 can suck sometimes.

4. Good shopping you'll find all throughout the area... Oxford Valley Mall area, Willow Grove Mall area, Newtown, Yardley and New Hope boroughs. Activities all in the area from soccer to baseball, swimming, dancing, etc.. -yes to everything you want

5. All three I listed have that quaint small town feel with Yardley being the smallest.

PA in general tends to be cheaper than Central and Northern PA... except for gas. Only thing that seems to be more expensive.

Houses in your price range tend to range from 2,000 sqft to 3,500 sq ft

Lower Makefield:
Lower Makefield Real Estate & Lower Makefield PA Homes for Sale - Zillow

Newtown:
Newtown Township Real Estate & Newtown Township PA Homes for Sale - Zillow

Of course, I'd suggest a Realtor in your search.

The difference in people between Bucks County and Central NJ is not going to be much of a difference. The only way people in Central NJ could be "meaner" is the ever growing presence of New Yorkers... lol just kidding

Hope this helped

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 04-02-2013 at 11:11 PM..

Old 04-02-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben21 View Post
Hands down, DuBois PA.
Seems a bit out of the way to commute to Princeton, NJ daily... don't you think?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
Just an FYI - This thread was started in 2006.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben21 View Post
Hands down, DuBois PA.
This was SEVEN years ago!

Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM

Wow why was this thread revived? lol

Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Wow why was this thread revived? lol
Yes I almost had to chuckle when you wrote such a long response to a thread that was revived from the dead.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by track2514 View Post
Yes I almost had to chuckle when you wrote such a long response to a thread that was revived from the dead.
I know right. What a waste of my time haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania