Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 63,098 times

Advertisements

I would like input from locals regarding a move to Somerset County. We have looked around, and like what we see for the most part.

Questions:

1) Best area for a young retired couple to live in (hubby wants to be within 2.5 hrs of Pittsburgh)?
2) Folmont? Gorgeous views, anything new but the windmills going on up there?
3) Best local weather (looking for <80 for better part of the summer)...

Anything else you want to throw in would be appreciated. We are looking for peace and quiet, not nightlife.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 01:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Somerset, Pa is an hour (65 miles) from Pittsburgh. I was there only once and the place I went to isn't there anymore.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,348 times
No place to go and nothing to do except drink and look at the snow or the farmers fields or the windmills.

I would say it is the perfect place for retirement.

Just don't count on just jumping into your car and 45 minutes later being in downtown Pittsburgh.

The roads are horrible in Pennsylvania and time travel is almost non existent certain times of the day.

I 70 being a toll road, you have to pay to get there.

Other places you have to go up over the mountain and although it might look close on a map, be prepared to travel - even just to get grocery's or see a movie.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:29 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
You may want to look into mine subsidence insurance MSI Homepage - although anecdotally it seems to be more of a problem closer to Pittsburgh where many underground mines were shallower

Old 01-15-2010, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 63,098 times
Default Somerset County

Thank you for your input. We are not old people, just going to be fairly young retireds looking for a quiet, cool summer place to get away from the heat and humidity for part of the year. Somewhere were just normal people live. My hubby wants to be within 2 hours of Pittsburgh to attend football/hockey games. I have lived in a tourist town my entire life, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I was told that Folmont has never had drilling under it.

If anyone has better ideas, feel free to contribute. We just liked the views from Folmont.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk56 View Post
I was told that Folmont has never had drilling under it.
Mine subsidence is probably less of a concern in Somerset than areas to the north and west - but mine maps in Somerset County are not always accurate as these folks know pretty well: Quecreek Mine Rescue - 9 for 9 - Nine for Nine

Old 05-17-2010, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,839 times
I have lived in Somerset all my life with a decent amount of traveling. The sites are great. There are opportunities for social, art, sports and leisure in all directions within 30 to 90 minutes. The winter weather can be rough some years and others very mild. Defintely not a place to come if you love 80 degree weather. You just need to be willing to invest in a few new friendships and learn the area. If you haven't relocated have fun choosing your new home.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM

18 posts, read 57,993 times
Was wondering what it is like in the area of Brotherton, PA. And if you know what the going rate for an acre of land is in that vicinity. Need quiet place or location to settle in but within distance to some areas for employment. At least 5-10 miles to some civilization for groceries and supplies. Is the land good for growing vegetables?

Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 PM

13 posts, read 42,648 times
Do not move to this area. It sucks. There is nothing, NOTHING here. The people are inbred and ignorant. All they do is breed and create more inbred and ignorant spawn to sponge off welfare. Decent housing is nonexistent unless you like living in a chicken coop. Can't wait to get the hell out and back to a civilized area.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:37 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
so what you're saying is that you're one of the inbred and ignorant?
Depends on how you define 'nothing'. If you're looking for a lot of movie theaters, malls, etc, yea, there's nothing. If you preference is hiking trails, wildlife (the non-electric kind) and stars rather than neon at night, there may be something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania