Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:10 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagus View Post
Love it.
One of my favorite towns in the country!
As nice as the pictures are, it's even nicer in person!

If you ever get the chance, go see a show at the Campus theater -- it's a great example of restoration.
Pictures truly don't do this town justice. Best of all is that it's only 10 minutes or so south of I-80, so it's not a big deal at all to stop off for a quick visit the next time someone is passing through the state. I'd love to catch a flick sometime at the Campus; it's on my "to-do" list right behind the Dietrich in Downtown Tunkhannock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 07:16 PM

396 posts, read 1,699,048 times
Thanks for the memories. I graduated from Bucknell in
91'. I love to return to Lewisburg for reunions and homecomings, which are much less frequent now that I live in Wisconsin. Bucknell has beautiful campus and Lewisburg is a great setting

Old 05-21-2007, 07:27 PM

39 posts, read 161,120 times
Just wanted to thank you SWB for the pictures.We are moving to the Lewisburg area in 4 weeks.We will be about eight minutes from Bucknell.It
is a very beautiful area.the area I am moving to is pretty hilly and windy so i guess it varies in different parts of town.

Thanks for the pictures of all the different areas you have taken.We are planning on a lot of day trips this summer and your pictures have inspired me to see all that I can.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:22 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,693,201 times
Thanks, Paul, for taking this photo tour. Even though I'm in neighboring Snyder County, I love Lewisburg. My three kids were born in the hospital you photographed at the beginning of your tour.

The abandoned Wal-Mart has actually been bought by Weis Markets. They'll be expanding their already gigantic Lewisburg store, which is next to the abandoned building. I haven't been to the new Super Wal-Mart yet (which is behind the Sheetz and Applebee's north of Lewisburg) but from what I understand it's the fourth largest Super Wal-Mart in the U.S. All the aisles are wide enough for two motorized shopping carts to pass easily.

Lewisburg got into the Main Street Manager program a few years ago and their downtown reflects it. The woman is doing a wonderful job. You should see it during the ice festival in the winter. Many of the downtown businesses have small ice sculptures (about 2 to 3 feet in height) outside their doors and there's usually a huge ice sculpture in the town park.

You mentioned wanting to stop at the Bull Run Inn to eat. Right around the corner in the same building is Rusty's Tavern, another fantastic place to eat.

If you had turned right as you were heading south, near the Perkins Restaurant on Route 15, you would have come to the LARA (Lewisburg Area Recreation Assocation) park area. This has the pool, a fantastic playground for kids of all ages, a skate park and open areas with picnic tables, and pavilions.

There is a huge antique shop near the river and a huge flea market north of Lewisburg on Route 15 north of the Super Wal-Mart.

There is just so much that I could go on and on and on... I'm so glad you came to our area to take some photos, and even more glad that you were impressed. You found that people in small-town central PA really are friendly. Those people you encountered are the rule, not the exception. Nearly everyone greets everyone in this area. It's a warm, welcoming place and I'm proud to be from this area.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,245 times
They have a great Ice cream shop called Lewisburg Freez on rt 15 northbound, in town, its excellent, every time I go up that way I stop there. prices are reasonable and it has easy on off access.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
They have a great Ice cream shop called Lewisburg Freez on rt 15 northbound, in town, its excellent, every time I go up that way I stop there. prices are reasonable and it has easy on off access.
That used to be the Tastee-Freeze in the olden days. We used go there as kids and buy fudge boats in a cup. I sure could eat one. It's been about 30 years.

They also had a soda called a suicide. It was all the fountain flavors mixed together.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
You mentioned wanting to stop at the Bull Run Inn to eat. Right around the corner in the same building is Rusty's Tavern, another fantastic place to eat.
That used be across 6th Street (where the park is) and it was called Dunkles. It also had the Campus Lanes attached which burned down in the fall of '71. The building where Bull Run and Rusty's are used to be a Western Auto on one side and an A&P on the other. The '72 flood wiped out both of them and they decided to close. It wasn't long after that it was bought and turned into Bull Run. They used to have bands until about '76 and then for some reason they stopped hiring them. I bent my elbow a few times in there.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,748 times
Dear SWB - during a "Celtic" search I ended up on this site because you mentioned my shop, and I loved reading the wonderful things you said about our town. I registered just so that I could thank you! It really is as nice a town to live in as your words and pictures portrayed - and what a gorgeous day you had for photographing. Of course, I scrolled down through all the lovely photos and had to laugh when you mentioned my Mini Cooper! She'll be pleased to be referred to as 'sexy', I'm sure...

Again, thanks for the great review of the 'burg -

Old 07-14-2007, 04:27 PM

78 posts, read 307,857 times
Those are nice pictures. I've been through Lewisburg many times and always thought it was a nice place.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,808 times
Default Lewisburg

What a treat to see my
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania