Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM

770 posts, read 3,669,465 times

Advertisements

Can anyone fill me in about the areas located on the PA/MD border that are within a 30-45 minute drive to Baltimore. I know up I 83 there are some communities. How is that area? My husband is thinking of becoming a transportation police in MD and he would be commuting probably either to the BWI airport, the tunnels in MD or 695.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 70,721 times
You should look at Shrewsbury, Pa and the surrounding area. This gives you easy access to I-83. Shrewsbury is currently seeing a lot of development-Wal-Mart, chain retailers, and new grocery stores. Housing prices are on the rise though, as lots of people that work in MD are moving in.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM

460 posts, read 2,416,328 times
I live 8 miles from the MD border right to 95 with trip to 695/tunnel being about 25-35 mins all depends on the traffic.
I reguarly go to White Marsh Mall and the inner harbor to shop. Also shop in tax free Delaware and it is half hour to Lancaster and the outlets.
I am not familiar with Shrewbury or the housing quality, price etc. In my development here we have 4 police officers. 2 Delaware, 1 PA and one who is a state trooper. The moved their families out here because it is safe. Safe was important to them. I never see any police called here bar one time.
We had a big battle of the high school marching bands and the buses from the regional high schools when they ran out of parking decided to come park on our main through street. Someone needed to come direct traffic and we had to call the police to help out.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 50,607 times
I live in Boiling Springs Pa and am just 30 mins from Harrisburg International Airport. We are just a small little village of about 2,000. Lots of new housing going up also. Boiling Springs is the home of this theater. Playhouse at Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse
We have a small lake that bubbles called Childrens lake. This is such a quaint little village right outside of Carlisle Pa.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,251 times
Shrewsbury has pretty much everything you could need. walmart, giant, blockbuster, wendy's, chinese, nails, beer, gas, all kinds of chain stores. The housing devepments in the are aare growing at an alarming rate. Everywhere you look they're building something new. A lot of people in that area and in YOrk City also commute to Baltimore. Here In Harrisburg (about 60 miles from baltimore) there are at least 3 families I know who do it. One is lucky and works four 10 hour days, but he puts so much gas in his car! (i work in a gas station) YOu can really do it, pennsylvania is pretty cheap compared to surrounding states, but it's only getting more and more expensive as people move here. York City is okay, some gang violence and drugs and crime, but most of the suburbs are pretty tame. Friends live in Hallam and really liek it there, Yorkana and Goldsboro too. You wouldnt be insane to do that, but be prepared for traffic delays.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM

60 posts, read 374,238 times
Default Red Lion/ Dallastown

Shrewsbury/New Freedom has become like Maryland. The houses are overpriced there. You can go 10 minutes up 83 and find the same house for 30 to 50K less.

Now if time is of the essence, then staying close to the MD line would be fine. But I don't mind the extra 10 minutes I drive from Red Lion to avoid the higher mortgage/rent payment.

Dallastown Highschools are the best in York county, as are the elementary schools. So if that is a concern, I would move to that area.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 PM

60 posts, read 374,238 times
Also, check this site Ranking of High Schools in Venango County

You can change the county and to the elementary level or secondary level

Old 07-16-2007, 02:04 PM

20 posts, read 119,837 times
I live in northern Baltimore county along the I83 corridor. You'll save a lot of money buying over the line in Shrewsbury, New Freedom, Glen Rock, Stewartstown, etc. By and large, new homes in my area come with 1 acre lots or larger, which drives up the price, too. I'm sure Orion is correct in that the further north you go, housing prices drop but Shrewsbury, for example, is a bargain for the same house in Parkton.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:07 AM

80 posts, read 404,886 times
what is the commute like from i-83 in york county to fort meade? and NoVa?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 AM

263 posts, read 1,093,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmunk226 View Post
what is the commute like from i-83 in york county to fort meade? and NoVa?
Can't imagine it would be nice. I currently commute to Bethesda, MD and it takes me a little over two hours one way. I leave home at 5:15 am to get to work by 7:30 am and I leave work at 4 pm and get home around 6:45 pm.

With the amount of money I spend in gas, higher property taxes, less time spent with my family during the week and just the sheer stress of the commute...I should have just stayed in MD. If I worked in B-More, I could probably handle it better. I would not recommend moving to PA if you work in NoVA unless you can work from home a couple of days a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania