Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times

Advertisements

I'm not even sure if this is the correct Pennsylvania forum. But is anybody here from State College Pa? Or know much avout life in the State College area?

I know State College is far from any major city, but is there much work there? What would you say is the pros & cons of life there?

Any Crime issues?

Cost of living?

Housing?

Taxes & so on. Any info helps!

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,381,971 times
As a result of the Sandusky, Penn State issue that will inevitably drag on for years, IMO it would be extremely wise to rethink moving to State College.

As a result of this ever growing situation you are going to see net decreased student population levels and layoffs as a result of it.

State Collage, as it's name implies, is directly tied to the health of the university.
If the university is ailing so is the city.

The university is already preparing for a large decrease in fall enrollment compared to numbers prior to the Sandusky situation.

This will only be resolved through the passage of time and to consider any sort of move to State College in the immediate future other than working for the university or perhaps in healthcare could result in regret.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:36 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Two words: Jerry Sandusky.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:40 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,252,913 times
As much as the current news is dominating all aspects of things in SC, I seriously doubt it will kill the university, the largest in the state. Yes IF enrollment drops (considering the waiting list, I can't imagine it will... is there evidence of this?) yes there will be layoffs.

But as far as the other 99.9999% of people that already live in State College, its a great place and a wonderful place to raise a family. I have several friends who grew up there and love their childhood. I have several friends who are raising their own families there and love it still.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:48 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I don't think enrollment will drop at PSU, but it may affect the types of students that attend PSU....the more intelligent, studious, and academically-inclined may choose to go elsewhere, and more marginal students who are more interested in the Animal House kind of college experience, rather than their GPA, may end up there. And well know PSU has enough of those types now.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM

189 posts, read 704,638 times
Oh my goodness, fall enrollment for Penn State has not dropped but is steady as always with a lengthy waiting list. Please do not let the actions of one man affect your opinion of a whole town or county. State College is a great place to raise a family with good schools, friendly neighborhoods, and low crime.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Part of me wonders if this topic was intended as troll bait.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:11 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
NO! Not at all. We are originally from New York, now live in Nevada. We are trying to move back east to get closer to family who are all around the northeast. Philly is too big of a city for us. So we were just curious what State College has to offer a family.

A list of all the pros & cons would be great.

The Penn state issue is and will always be sad. I cant see that crushing the college though, at least not for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Part of me wonders if this topic was intended as troll bait.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM

429 posts, read 653,945 times
I only went to school there, so I can't tell you as being an adult who is looking at jobs or housing. I would expect taxes to be slightly higher than most small towns that size, and I hear housing is rather high. But again, I was a kid (maybe could be considered young adult) there who didn't pay taxes or have a house. Hell, I don't have a house now since only 10% of people my age get approved for mortgages.

Pros

Beautiful area, Lots of hiking near by, vibrant downtown, clean, educated population base, crime base is very low (except for property crime as expected with drunk college kids)

Cons

IT IS A COLLEGE TOWN 100%. Seriously, everything is about Penn State. There is no escape. Up to now, everything is blue and white, and Joe Paterno, and Nittany Lion Football. It is sort of what is going on now with getting rid of that whole crazy obsession. This was annoying to me. But fortunately I had Tussey Mountain to hike all the time.

You will find nothing but young kids. If you are older you may like it. However late 20s through your golden years it may get annoying. Even things like going out for a simple dinner or movie you will run into early 20 college students.

It is isolated (which may be a pro)

Food is rather bad.

This is the best I can do.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:39 PM

429 posts, read 653,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I don't think enrollment will drop at PSU, but it may affect the types of students that attend PSU....the more intelligent, studious, and academically-inclined may choose to go elsewhere, and more marginal students who are more interested in the Animal House kind of college experience, rather than their GPA, may end up there. And well know PSU has enough of those types now.
One thing that is often wrong is that intelligence doesn't indicate if you spent your time doing nothing but studying in a lab, studying on Friday and Saturday nights, and having no social life. As opposed to those who were always partying, studied much less, and didn't pay as much attention to their GPA. Many intelligent kids partied too. I was in between. I partied while in the lab

Some of the most intelligent kids I ever met where heavily into partying and failed out, but still very productive members to society. Then some of the kids I known who did nothing but study all the time were dumb as rocks. This had nothing to do with their actual intelligence.

This is off subject though, but had to state my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania