Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 09:06 PM

26 posts, read 177,640 times

Advertisements

My brother lives in Fayetteville and believe me, it's not poor by any imagination. Your Realtor should be on medication.

It's mainly Dairy farm areas. Homes are being built slowly on taken over dairy fields, but there is still lovely views of mountains to be seen. Taxes are low. Don't know about schools, my kids are long ago grown.

More and more stores are coming along RT 30 every month it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 10:19 AM

11 posts, read 29,365 times
we have lived here for about 8 mnths now, and I have to say my entire family hates it. We have a child in first grade now, he attended kindergarden here also, the schools are old and run down. There are many many to chose from but that being said, they are poorly run. The english as a second language kids really hold back the english speaking kids. My son was an exceptional student prior to moving here, here he is bored and the class is so slow paced.
There are a LOT of mexicans here, and the town as a whole is not accepting of outsiders. It is growing some, but there are still no real good restraunts here or things to do.
we can wait to get out of this area asap.
also there are a lot of new town home, single family homes going up in the chambersburg, waynesboro, area and let me tell you looks are deceiving. The homes are being built fast and sloppy. They are also renting and selling to muliti families..so that the streets are starting to look like parking lots.
honestly if you want a nice place to raise a family,,try mechanicsburg pa

Old 10-20-2008, 01:07 PM

518 posts, read 2,532,462 times
i didn't realize the schools in chambersburg were that bad. Makes me glad that I did not go to an interview I was called about at chambersburg high school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanemomof3 View Post
we have lived here for about 8 mnths now, and I have to say my entire family hates it. We have a child in first grade now, he attended kindergarden here also, the schools are old and run down. There are many many to chose from but that being said, they are poorly run. The english as a second language kids really hold back the english speaking kids. My son was an exceptional student prior to moving here, here he is bored and the class is so slow paced.
There are a LOT of mexicans here, and the town as a whole is not accepting of outsiders. It is growing some, but there are still no real good restraunts here or things to do.
also there are a lot of new town home, single family homes going up in the chambersburg, waynesboro, area and let me tell you looks are deceiving. The homes are being built fast and sloppy. They are also renting and selling to muliti families..so that the streets are starting to look like parking lots.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,616 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience. Where did you move from? My experience of living in Greene Township outside of Chbg has been the complete opposite. We are right next to Fayetteville. We moved here in March 08 from the DC area, so we are going on 9 months here.

The number of latinos here is nothing compared to what I used to live with. Back there, no one spoke English anywhere...not at fast food restaurants, not at the mall. I was thrilled to have the cashier at McDee's speak English and say thank you when we first visited here!! ESOL classes were the majority in the schools, not the minority they are here. Plus, if you didn't speak Spanish to them, YOU were treated rudely!

Your school is old and run down? I thought Fayetteville Elementary was on maybe it's 2nd year...beautiful brand new building just off Rt 30, right? My son goes to Scotland Elem, and it's also brand new and the staff is excellent. The high school is having a complete renovation and from what I understand, the middle and junior high schools are next.

I have found most everyone to be nice here...people at WalMart say hi, the gas station attendant was pleasant and concerned about my husband's cast, and I know more of my neighbors here than I did in 9 years in MD. I don't have time or money to go out to dinner much, but I find a good selection of restaurants...and I prefer mom and pop places, not chains. What stores we don't have, Hagerstown does. We live in an area abundant with history and there are always festivals to go to...

I guess things are what you make it...I talk or email my son's teacher at least once a week if not more, since he is having a difficult time some days. I walked my neighborhood and introduced myself to everyone I saw. Not all were receptive, but most were. I moved here to have a better life for my kids, and this may not be paradise, but what is?

I hope things improve for you and good luck.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 177,640 times
InsaneMom~~It sounds as if you did not check out schools or quality of life issues that would concern your life style. When making a move to a new location, I've found that some folks might read an article in some magazine about an area and they believe everything they read. When they get there, usually it's a dissapointment. You HAVE to check out new locations, down to the bare bone before moving. If you didn't do that, then boo-boo on you, I'm sad to say. Of course, often the need of a job can make you relocate to an area that you may not be happy about. But we all have to pay the bills. No job~~No money. We were mostly talking about Fayetteville as the subject of this post.. Fayetteville is not Chambersburg. It's not clear to me in this post , the area you reside in.
When I looked at Fayetteville, I too saw NEW schools and new stores opening up along 30. I don't know much about Chambersburg. So I can't judge it fairly. I've researched the area for 2 years, reading, investigating and eventually riding around the country side. I looked at the area through an older set of eyes. I see an area that is kind to a retired income. I like it. I hope I will like it when I do make the move.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 PM

the OP mentioned chambersburg not fayettville. I can speak only of chambersburg and my experience with marion elementary.
I didnt check out the town as much as you can from driving around, shopping and eating here, calling the schools..but our moved was job related and had to be sudden.
I agree it would be wonderful if we all had the opportunity to visit and vacation in the areas we want to live but thats not always a luxury.
this site was helpful in many ways in the past.
I have tried to talk to all the people I come in contact with. I am a nurse and very people oriented. I really am not taking this town personal. I think that on the few days I get a nice response or a smile, those are the days I cherish.
My son is doing better, and we just supplement the education he is getting now. I agree you make it what it is...we are not settling for less.
There are tons of new housing going in, as well as the new railroad is here,and trucking is definately a hot commodity in this area..
My husband is in trucking and doing well in a sluggish economy.
I just wanted to balance out what the readers were hearing from this community.
I do agree that the surrounding areas of chambersburg do appear to be much more pleasing..
good luck on your moves.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:58 PM

72 posts, read 201,854 times
My wife, family and I moved her several months ago, and tonight is a perfect example of why we moved here. Everyone (except for a couple of teenagers) that has come to the door has been in costume, and they were all polite, including the teenagers. This area is wonderful and is a fantastic place to raise a family. I'm glad we were able to make the move here before they started school.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,507 times
Quote:
I've got to say that my family agrees with you. It is very hard to be a transplant in this area. My daughter goes to Corpus Christi -- only because of the poor school district in this area. I'll be honest and say that Corpus is not much better. When we went to register our daughter we took some of her records with us, along with grade expectations. Anyway, the public district informed us that this year would be an easy year for her, as she had done the fifth grade expections last year -- so the entire year would be review for her.
We relocated from Michigan and have found this area to be culturally dead. There is little diversity. People, being the "locals" are rude to us all the time. The school parents are rude to my family at sporting events and functions. We've never felt more isolated or out of place.
This area is quite consertitive. I understand that the locals have a comfort level within their community, and that's great for them, just not so much for others.
We've lived here for 5 months and our car has already been broken into, not to mention an attempted break in only 2 days ago. We've filed a police report and called about the attempt. The police were in our neighborhood 3 days ago with lights flashing and people lined up outside. It's so sad, especially since the community we are renting in is only 3 years old.
A great company brought us here, hopefully they will move us somewhere else in the next couple of years...
The only good thing about being here is that we are much closer to many other locations. We have to get out of town every few weeks, we need to get out and experience things. We head out to: Frederick, MD, DC, Baltimore, and many others. There is also absolutely nothing to do here. Everything is a good hour away. The only good place to eat is Montezuma's.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:37 AM

I am sorry you are also experiencing this trouble. I cant agree more that the schools are really in bad shape.I wonder if we are on the same block! We do love our home but wish the property management company was a little more strict about the mutli family homes..My children are 7,3,1. we should get together as new families in the area and let our kids play..

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM

72 posts, read 201,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_van View Post
I've got to say that my family agrees with you. It is very hard to be a transplant in this area. My daughter goes to Corpus Christi -- only because of the poor school district in this area. I'll be honest and say that Corpus is not much better. When we went to register our daughter we took some of her records with us, along with grade expectations. Anyway, the public district informed us that this year would be an easy year for her, as she had done the fifth grade expections last year -- so the entire year would be review for her.
We relocated from Michigan and have found this area to be culturally dead. There is little diversity. People, being the "locals" are rude to us all the time. The school parents are rude to my family at sporting events and functions. We've never felt more isolated or out of place.
This area is quite consertitive. I understand that the locals have a comfort level within their community, and that's great for them, just not so much for others.
We've lived here for 5 months and our car has already been broken into, not to mention an attempted break in only 2 days ago. We've filed a police report and called about the attempt. The police were in our neighborhood 3 days ago with lights flashing and people lined up outside. It's so sad, especially since the community we are renting in is only 3 years old.
A great company brought us here, hopefully they will move us somewhere else in the next couple of years...
The only good thing about being here is that we are much closer to many other locations. We have to get out of town every few weeks, we need to get out and experience things. We head out to: Frederick, MD, DC, Baltimore, and many others. There is also absolutely nothing to do here. Everything is a good hour away. The only good place to eat is Montezuma's.
I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience here in Chambersburg. My family (wife, 5 year old boy, 4 year old girl) moved here in March, and we love it! We moved so that my wife could stay home with the kids before they start school (my son just started kindergarten at one of the public schools) and be there when they get home from school. My commute to work is now 80 miles one-way, but I think that it is more than worth it.

As for the break-ins, it has nothing to do with Chambersburg. As a former property manager of an apartment complex in MD, I can tell you that it is a symptom of most rental complexes.

As for the locals being rude, I can only tell you about our experiences. During our first trip to Wal Mart, we were greeted with a "Hello" or "Hi" by at least 5 different people, and just about every associate. Which is a stark contrast from the Wal Mart we used to shop at in MD where hardly any of the associates spoke to the customers, let alone in English. We went downtown for the Christmas parade, and had a great time, especially since it was OK to say "Merry Christmas".

Being close to other metro areas is very nice, if that's what you want. I was born and raised in Montgomery County, MD, just outside of DC, and have had enough of that hustle and bustle.

I hope your experience here gets better. And we can't wait to try Montezuma's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania