Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,155 times

Advertisements

hi, i am locating for any info i can get on this city, concerning renting a house, what the city is like, and what there is to do there. i'm relocating from cleveland ohio, for my job!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,845,286 times
can we hae ScranBarre do one of his/her photo tours of chambersburg?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM

10 posts, read 45,751 times
"As for the locals being rude, I can only tell you about our experiences. During our first trip to Wal Mart, we were greeted with a "Hello" or "Hi" by at least 5 different people"

Do Wal Mart Greeters Count??

Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,023 times
Default relocating to C-burg from Reno

Hello
Your post invited further information - Thank you. We're kind of misfits here in Reno - Hate gambling, prostitution, and the school system here stinks - it's like 45 on the list. Beside that, we're conservative and sold-out Christians - non denominational. Hubby is being transferred to c-burg - he's not caucasian - Eastern Indian decent. He's hightly educated and totally americanized. We left the east coast originally because he couldn't get a fair shake in promotions and the like (in SC) There was the good-ol boy mentality and hubby isn't a "good ol boy". Reno worked out very well for him in the way of not being discriminated against. I'm concerned about how will people treat him in Chambersburg - will he be welcomed? I can't bear to move to a place where we'll be shunned because he's a bit more tanned than the rest of us. I'm a stay at home mom and am looking for a good church to get involved in, bible studies, prayer groups, etc. .
How about schools? My 5yr old son is exceptionally bright - I have read that the PA schools are slow b/c they need to try to keep up with the foreign students. We'd even consider private/Christian school or Montessori. Would we be better off looking in nearby towns to live? We'll likely rent and looking for a newer style house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharris View Post
I live in Hanover PA about 40 min from Chambersburg. I moved to PA to buy an house I and my family could afford at the time. We love it here and will never move away. Found the schools to be sound. Taxes are good. Adams county area is still lower then most. Piece and quite. Low crime.
Aside from all that housing is very affordable compared to the west coast. Life is a bit slower in PA.
However plenty of shopping and things to do here.
Do you have school age children? I can send you school reports.
Have you visited PA? Need some local information?
What some house listings? I would be happy to send you anything you need. Just ask me...Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM

23 posts, read 64,475 times
Hi - I will be in the area this weekend and will be checking out areas to move to after I retire from the military. I'm stationed overseas and will only be here for the weekend. I do like older homes with character (wood floors, fire place, etc) a good middle/HS for the one daughter I still have at home and oh yes, I dont have lots of money :-)

Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,779,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katr View Post
Hi - I will be in the area this weekend and will be checking out areas to move to after I retire from the military. I'm stationed overseas and will only be here for the weekend. I do like older homes with character (wood floors, fire place, etc) a good middle/HS for the one daughter I still have at home and oh yes, I dont have lots of money :-)
You can look around E Catherine street for older homes with wood floors, etc that are in a nice older neighborhood...the high school is a couple streets over. A friend of mine lives over there. Depending on what you're looking for, I find the area has lots of inexpensive housing.

There is only one high school, and the plan is for there to be 2 middle schools starting in about a year. Right now, grades 6-7 go to the middle school and 8-9 go to jr high. They are revamping the system to make 2 middle schools for 6-8 and put the 9th grade at the high school. So it will depend on what side of town you move to; they haven't said where the lines are drawn yet.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM

152 posts, read 322,243 times
Ok, as far as nothing to do here, they are all right on that one. The hospital has been trying to cut back so the care there is not great. DO NOT have general surgery there. Good for cardiac caths, not for general surgery. I do not see alot of crime here. Very conservative, good old boy mentality exists, gun loving christians (nurse killed by hubby with gun at bedside, thought she was an intruder??) . Bible thumpers who believe whatever they hear or see on tv (fox ). From what i can tell as i am educated... the schools here must not be good, alot of unintelligent people here, i have to "dumb it down " often when talking to people from here or "over the mountain". I plan to relocate to a more populated area where there is more to do, better hospitals , etc.... this area isn't for me ... i've given it two and a half years... that's all i can do.. I have tried to adapt, but i don't think i can. I need a more progressive area. some of the folks still use the word "colored people" etc... (i am white). I have an aging parent with me, and she isn't stuck in the 50's like these people are. Hey you may like this way of life.... but i'm too young to be like this.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Well there is a gym called results also that has a fair amount of people in that age range. Aside from joining the lions, rotary etc... or the Moose etc... there isn't much to do. Try hagerstown, gettysburg, harrisburg area.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

Corpus christi from what i'm told is a good school, the others in the area don't rate very well. Be careful. Homeschooling is also a popular option.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 AM

Here's a list by medical specialty of what is available here or nearby:
Pediatrics - local - if a pediatric specialty then out of area
OB/GYN - local - preemies are out of area
Neurology- some local , most prefer out of area
Neurosurgery - out of area
Cariac - good cardiology group but limited in what they can do, can do caths and stents. Open heart surgery, bypass, valve replacements, EP studies, Pacemakers, ablatations all have to go out of area.
General surgery - avoid unless dr carter, otherwise go out of area.
Orthopedic - most procedures can be done locally, long waiting list to get in.
Rheumatology - most go out of area, and still a long waiting list.
podiatry - local
opthomology- local
cancer - out of area
blood disorders - local
Any type of transplants - must go out of area
Urology - local mostly , some go out of area
GI - local mostly, some go out of area
Lungs/pulmonology - some local, many don't like, so go out of area
ENT- local , some go out of area
general practice - mixed reviews, complaints of having trouble getting appointments, finding one they like etc... very mixed reviews (just like the boards)
Diabetes - could be better, but many stay local
Renal / dialysis- good and local

pay for an ambulance club membership to the local fire dept, like $100 and worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania