Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 AM

152 posts, read 321,979 times

Advertisements

Some more info:

Gas on this date is for regular $3.79 a gallon
the local papers are the public opinion and the record herald (more waynesboro)

Giant , one of the local supermarkets, has a great selection, boars head cold cuts, good bakery, even decent seafood from what i'm been told. Most here say they are expensive. I think they are fair priced , but for every $100 in groceries you spend, you get 10 cents off per gallon of gas at their gas station. Giant here is also know as martins or stop and shop in other parts of the country.

There is a small local market in chambersburg, open like fri and sat. You can get fresh food there. the mennonites sell alot of things there and their baked goods are wonderful (pumpkin roll!! chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, whoopie pies etc...) and they have hot food also. In the back is like a little flea market.

The mennonites are a wonderful group of folks, i work with some and i am impressed with their simple thinking but that they are so willing to learn about others ways. They love to learn of other cultures and it's refreshing to see. The amish are mainly in shippensburg.

The whole area is surrounded by farms, so often you will smell them, some say you will get used to it. Again, i am not criticizing it's what is true.

There are some folks here that say breakfast , dinner , then supper... in other words they don't use the word lunch. So if you're eating lunch and someone refers to it as dinner ...don't be confused.

Some folks talk in a different "dialect" and can be difficult to understand. The locals say oh that's just dutch... don't worry , you can also get used to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:21 AM

outlets:
Hagerstown has a huge outlet
gettysburg has a medium sized outlet
Hershey has a medium sized outlet
Lancaster has the kings of all outlets.

gettysburg also has alot to do, very touristy. This area is rich in civil war history and it can really be entertaining to try to follow it all.

Lancaster has two theaters also , one for religious (sight and sound) and one for general shows , american music (?)

There is a small theater in chambersburg, but not too happening.
The luhrs center at shippensburg university is pretty good.
The totem pole past mont alto is ok.
There are some shows at hershey park stadium, and also hockey.
Hershey park does alot of seasonal events also (halloween and xmas)

Old 04-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Some date on the local schools, so you can see what i'm talking about:

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2009 test average as compared to other schools in Pennsylvania) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 69.

Pennsylvania Dept of Education - Academic Achievement Report

They had full day kindergarten since like 2007, now due to budget constraints they are considering cutting back to half day kindergarten, since the residents don't think that's important.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 PM

I have alot of info on this area, you can message me for detailed info. I will be completely honest with you , so be prepared. There is plenty of good here, but with the good comes the bad. I live in this area and make a good living here. I have searched around and know quite a bit about my surroundings. If you are retiring here you may like it. If you are coming to raise a family you may like it. I urge you to spend alot of time here in particular, before you decide to move here. A weekend visit will not be enough. sperlings best places has some more reviews (very honest also) and info and you can compare cities side.by side. Some posters here have never lived here. Photos tours and someone stopping in town for a day aren't accurate pictures.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanemomof3 View Post
we have lived here for about 8 mnths now, and I have to say my entire family hates it. We have a child in first grade now, he attended kindergarden here also, the schools are old and run down. There are many many to chose from but that being said, they are poorly run. The english as a second language kids really hold back the english speaking kids. My son was an exceptional student prior to moving here, here he is bored and the class is so slow paced.
There are a LOT of mexicans here, and the town as a whole is not accepting of outsiders. It is growing some, but there are still no real good restraunts here or things to do.
we can wait to get out of this area asap.
also there are a lot of new town home, single family homes going up in the chambersburg, waynesboro, area and let me tell you looks are deceiving. The homes are being built fast and sloppy. They are also renting and selling to muliti families..so that the streets are starting to look like parking lots.
honestly if you want a nice place to raise a family,,try mechanicsburg pa
I am glad there are some other honest opinions on here, i was tore up by stating the truth. I don't know about the ESL students, i just know as a whole the education in this area in the big picture is NOT good. They do not value an education. The whole economy thrives on a few big businesses and if they leave... there goes the neighborhood . JLG, Letterkenney, Target, staples, and k mart warehouse distribution centers are the main employer. I lived in an area that was very dependent on the aerospace industry and when that stopped, the economy in the area took a hit. Just be very careful. Message me

Old 04-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_van View Post
I've got to say that my family agrees with you. It is very hard to be a transplant in this area. My daughter goes to Corpus Christi -- only because of the poor school district in this area. I'll be honest and say that Corpus is not much better. When we went to register our daughter we took some of her records with us, along with grade expectations. Anyway, the public district informed us that this year would be an easy year for her, as she had done the fifth grade expections last year -- so the entire year would be review for her.
We relocated from Michigan and have found this area to be culturally dead. There is little diversity. People, being the "locals" are rude to us all the time. The school parents are rude to my family at sporting events and functions. We've never felt more isolated or out of place.
This area is quite consertitive. I understand that the locals have a comfort level within their community, and that's great for them, just not so much for others.
We've lived here for 5 months and our car has already been broken into, not to mention an attempted break in only 2 days ago. We've filed a police report and called about the attempt. The police were in our neighborhood 3 days ago with lights flashing and people lined up outside. It's so sad, especially since the community we are renting in is only 3 years old.
A great company brought us here, hopefully they will move us somewhere else in the next couple of years...
The only good thing about being here is that we are much closer to many other locations. We have to get out of town every few weeks, we need to get out and experience things. We head out to: Frederick, MD, DC, Baltimore, and many others. There is also absolutely nothing to do here. Everything is a good hour away. The only good place to eat is Montezuma's.
Thank you for an honest opinion. I agree with having to leave the area for a nice day out. At least you can drive an hour or two and do alot. I have gone to DC, Philly, lancaster often, camp hill/mechanicsburg/harrisburg, virginia etc.. to find alot of interesting things. I'm planning on heading towards pittsburgh for my next adventures in culture and things to do. I'm waiting for a transfer out of the area also...

Yes, the cost of living is good, but some things are worth it. High taxes equal good school, roads, police, and things to do. I must say it's becoming very popular here for retirees, which i find odd as the local health care is not very good. I have an elderly parent with me and she is also bored here. There is no public transportation (not really even cabs) so hopefully you'll be driving for many many years. There is no senior center with planned activities, day trips etc... There is a senior center in mechanicsburg and new cumberland, i'm not sure how much activity there is there.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:32 PM

here's the two local newspapers and be sure to read the comments section for a real feel of the town's people

Home - Chambersburg Public Opinion

Homepage - Waynesboro, PA - Waynesboro Record Herald

Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincur63 View Post
Some date on the local schools, so you can see what i'm talking about:

City-data.com school rating (using weighted 2009 test average as compared to other schools in Pennsylvania) from 0 (worst) to 100 (best) is 69.

They had full day kindergarten since like 2007, now due to budget constraints they are considering cutting back to half day kindergarten, since the residents don't think that's important.
heres the link to the above, it didn't post originally

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM

And shippensburg school just announced they are going back to half day kindergarten. I think the others will follow. It makes no sense to me, but i don't have young enough kids to really worry about the education here.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:34 PM

SchoolMatters

good info and you can compare 3 districts in same state, compare cburg,ship, and camp hill for example
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania