Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM

3 posts, read 14,720 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone,

I already feel stupid for the question I'm about to ask but, I'm considering a move to Phoenixville (downtown area) and was wondering if there were any shady parts to worry about?

I've only ever driven the main roads around Phoenixville and gone downtown a few times. My wife lived there for a few years as a kid, well the outskirts closer to VF.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Phoenixville is a great town. even the shady parts aren't really that bad, though they are generally on the other side of the river from downtown. I had a friend who lived over on that side though, paid less, but never had any issues. it's downtown ahs really revived. one of the few suburbs where living within walking distance of "downtown" is really worth it.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 PM

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

135 posts, read 387,336 times
I got to warn you about something first if you move there get out of town in July or The Blob will get you BlobFest | The Colonial Theatre unless you want to run out of the colonial screaming for your life then stay and watch out for the people with the foil hats they are trying to read your mind
There is alot of cool stuff to do in this part of PA and you will find the summer and Halloween we know how to have a good time.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Yeah. My wife loves to inform me every time we drive through that The Blob was filmed there. It always seems like a place to be around the weekends. Just wasn't sure on the neighborhoods since the most I ever see are the main drags ie Bridge, 113 (if i for some reason decided to drive back to Collegeville that way.), 23, and Starr Streets.

Anyone have any information on Walnut street? Lol, my wife swears that it "is a not so nice part of town." But I doubt it could be anything like our house hunt to Birdsboro watching a couple being told to get out of the car from a distance.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:02 AM

548 posts, read 2,016,319 times
I rented in Phoenixville when I first moved to the area; I have since moved to another suburb.

PROS:
-- neat little downtown, lots of restaurants and bars to choose from
-- very close to Valley Forge, KOP (shopping), the new Collegeville shopping area and the country of western Chester County
-- no matter where you work, all the highways are relatively close
-- people in general seem nice

CONS:
-- the downtown is still in its pupal stages, so some of "old" Phoenixville still exists. I'm not talking out-and-out crime, but just lower-income elements that sprout up right off of Bridge St.
-- several areas on the north side are undesirable.
-- downtown P'ville lacks good shopping options other than bars/restaurants.
-- if you work in downtown Philly (or like to visit downtown) and planning on driving, I-76 sucks.
-- while P'ville is close to a lot of places, it felt a little isolated to us.

it all depends on what you are looking for. Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
I was in downtown Phoenixville on Saturday night and the place was PACKED! The restaurants were overflowing with patrons, lots of people out and about, even though the temperature hovered at about 15 degrees (brrrrrr!).

It's really nice to see some of these little ol' towns rebounding.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times
"The Blob" was actually filmed in Downingtown at Chef's Diner across from the Luthern Church my grandparents used to drag me to..

Old 09-02-2010, 03:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
Parts of "The Blob" were also filmed in downtown Phoenixville at the Colonial Theatre.

This summer, we saw "The Blob" and another cheesy black-and-white sci-fi film at the Colonial Theatre as part of the BlobFest...we had a blast! Check it out for next year:

BlobFest | The Colonial Theatre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania