Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
I'm a transplant. I grew up in SoCal. then relocated to the Midwest. I then moved here 2 years ago and never heard of Wegmans until today.
I tell some friends living mid state: if you don't food shop at Wegman's occasionally, you not living life as good you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaco View Post
Not happening - Wegmans is the greatest across the nation! You may spot a small locally owned store that is a watered down version, but otherwise there is nothing out there but chains and poor imitations. Wegmans is not duplicated anywhere in the west (I have looked in WA, CA, OR, AZ, NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, and NE - no luck).
That's pretty extensive, and disappointing to hear.

And I do understand the urge to see what the local food supply is like. It's turned into a sort of hobby for me when I travel.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM

21 posts, read 70,385 times
To The Outsider (and any of you who have not yet enjoyed this experience)- you absolutely have to visit Wegmans. We even picked our location as it related to the nearest Wegmans. I think they are amazing and really one of the assets when considering living out in this area. Wegmans rocks.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
I don't know of a better operated and better quality business than Wegman's. People who work there are treated and paid well and seem very happy, and despite my hatred of shopping, I always enjoy Wegman's. You might expect to pay more for such great quality and selection (including lots of local stuff), but I find it is very reasonable and the value can't be beat. I don't know how they do it, but if I was to run a business, I would use Wegman's as a model. Love live Wegman's! Wegman's for prez!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Ate at Wegmans for lunch today with my 4yo daughter, she ate sushi and I asian ribs then proceeded to shop. I also am not a fan of shopping but Wegmans have really upted the anty. You have to experience it, if you have even a mild appreciate of food you would not be disapointed. Odd that I actually get excited when I drive up, scary is this what my life has become...

Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 PM

26 posts, read 102,999 times
Wow.

Wegmans placed #3 out of 100 in Fortunes 2010 100 best places to work.

Best Companies 2010 - FORTUNE Magazine's Top 100 Employers to Work For

Past results

2009 - 5th
2008 - 3rd
2007 - 3rd
2006 - 2nd
2005 - 1st

Simply amazing.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
I lived in Arizona for about 10 months after living in State College and loving all that is Wegmans. I found that no single store could replace Wegmans...however, I was able to sufficiently replace Wegmans with a combination of stores:

Safeway
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Sprouts
AJ's Fine Foods

All added together = slightly more expensive version of Wegmans. It worked though. In parts of CA, Vons = Safeway for the record.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
Default Nothing in the West like Wegmans

I am a native of Southern California. A few years ago, I visited a Wegman's in Virginia. We have a number of excellent supermarkets and Trader Joes, but no one store compares to the extensive stock and prepared food options found at Wegmans. I'd love to find a comparable store here.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:19 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The TJ's that I go to has a bakery section, fresh meats and a nice vegetable and fresh fruit section. Their cheese section is great too - not as big as Wegmans, but TJ's are much smaller stores. TJ's also has a wonderful selection of sauces and snacks, many of them organic. Costco is also another good Wegman's alternative.
TJ's is Aldi-meets-Whole Foods.

And don't get me wrong: that's not a putdown - I'm an Aldi fan. (I'm sure everyone knows that TJ's and Aldi US are owned by two legally-separate-but-joined-at-the-hip German companies, both named Aldi. The split is a result of a 1961 dispute between the two brothers who founded the chain back in 1946.)

I'm only one person; I wouldn't know what to do with Costco-sized quantities of stuff.

But the thing Wegmans has that AFAIK neither TJ's nor Costco have is great service departments. TJ's has none of these; I don't recall seeing them when last I set foot in a Costco, but those places are so large I may just have overlooked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
I don't know of a better operated and better quality business than Wegman's. People who work there are treated and paid well and seem very happy, and despite my hatred of shopping, I always enjoy Wegman's. You might expect to pay more for such great quality and selection (including lots of local stuff), but I find it is very reasonable and the value can't be beat. I don't know how they do it, but if I was to run a business, I would use Wegman's as a model. Love live Wegman's! Wegman's for prez!
Wegmans is based in Rochester, N.Y.

The chain used to have higher prices than it does now. It changed its strategy when it discovered that shoppers in its home area went to Wegmans to buy stuff at the dynamite service departments, then went to hometown rival Tops to buy everything else.

Lowering its prices on the bulk of the stuff on the shelves to match the competition is ultimately set Wegmans on the path to global domination (okay, domination of the Mid-Atlantic region and much of the rest of the Northeast).

Old 07-21-2019, 08:57 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
TJ's is Aldi-meets-Whole Foods.

And don't get me wrong: that's not a putdown - I'm an Aldi fan. (I'm sure everyone knows that TJ's and Aldi US are owned by two legally-separate-but-joined-at-the-hip German companies, both named Aldi. The split is a result of a 1961 dispute between the two brothers who founded the chain back in 1946.)

I'm only one person; I wouldn't know what to do with Costco-sized quantities of stuff.

But the thing Wegmans has that AFAIK neither TJ's nor Costco have is great service departments. TJ's has none of these; I don't recall seeing them when last I set foot in a Costco, but those places are so large I may just have overlooked them.

Wegmans is based in Rochester, N.Y.

The chain used to have higher prices than it does now. It changed its strategy when it discovered that shoppers in its home area went to Wegmans to buy stuff at the dynamite service departments, then went to hometown rival Tops to buy everything else.

Lowering its prices on the bulk of the stuff on the shelves to match the competition is ultimately set Wegmans on the path to global domination (okay, domination of the Mid-Atlantic region and much of the rest of the Northeast).
We're only one more person than you but I am a frequent Costco shopper, not because I want to buy things in bulk but because of their products, pricing AND service. Returns are easier than anyplace I've ever shopped. No receipt needed, no justifications for returns asked.

Since this is an extremely old thread, I'd be interested if Wegmans has since expanded in Western PA. I know they've been going south as a friend in VA beach said one opened up in her area within the last year.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania