Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 10:36 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times

Advertisements

Mod cut - Please note that this thread was started in 2010
So I've been traveling to Southern Calif recently for the job. And I started poking around to see what the local/regional food stores are like.

I think I'm spoiled by Wegmans, nothing I've looked at in So Cal is in the same league, so far. Even the Whole Foods I've been in (La Jolla) are not as nice as the newer ones in the Philly area, ... the Plymouth Meeting store sets the new standard here.

Any one care to render an opinion? Where do you find Wegmans-like food stores in So Cal? I'm talking Oceanside/Camp Pendleton south to San Diego?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-21-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:21 AM

21 posts, read 70,389 times
Not happening - Wegmans is the greatest across the nation! You may spot a small locally owned store that is a watered down version, but otherwise there is nothing out there but chains and poor imitations. Wegmans is not duplicated anywhere in the west (I have looked in WA, CA, OR, AZ, NM, CO, WY, MT, ID, UT, and NE - no luck).

Old 02-05-2010, 08:36 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
There are Trader Joe's all over SoCal, I like TJ's just as much as Wegmans.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:08 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
There are Trader Joe's all over SoCal, I like TJ's just as much as Wegmans.
No, no, no! TJ's is nothing like Wegmans. I lived in Nor Cal for 12 years and never liked shopping at TJ's. I still think TJ's is almost all frozen food and a few fresh items. It certainly doesn't have a bakery section or deli or many items you'd find in a typical supermarket.

I went back to PA for Thanksgiving. I was amazed by the Wegman's in State College. I actually brought back several loaves of their bread and some pastries that I put in my freezer. I think Whole Foods is the only thing like it, but it really doesn't match what Wegman's offers. In California I think you'd have to go to a few different places to get what you'd find on one trip to Wegmans.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM

The TJ's that I go to has a bakery section, fresh meats and a nice vegetable and fresh fruit section. Their cheese section is great too - not as big as Wegmans, but TJ's are much smaller stores. TJ's also has a wonderful selection of sauces and snacks, many of them organic. Costco is also another good Wegman's alternative.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:36 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
No, no, no! TJ's is nothing like Wegmans...
I agree. TJs is good, for certain things, but TJ's is not a substitute for Wegmans.

Just some quick examples, TJs has no: Salad Bar, fresh prepared foods, pizza by the slice, fresh baked bread and bagels ("fresh baked througout the day"), homemade soups. TJs fruit and produce and Wegmans fruit and produce are not in the same league (in fact this is probaby TJ's weakest spot). If I ever find a store that has an Olive Bar (official name Mediterranean Olive Bar) like Wegmans, or even close to Wegmans, that will be something. Whole Foods still have work to do on their olive bar (even in their nice new Plymouth Meeting store). And finally, no grocery store I've seen has the breath of selection and high qualiy in their private label foods like Wegmans, specificlly I'm referring to the Italian Classics line, veggies, meats, cheeses, marinated veggies, bruschetta, pasta and pasta sauce (etc., etc., etc.) with the distinctive green, tan and red labels.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:54 PM

All true PeeAve Native. You don't have to sell me on Wegman's, I love 'em too! On the plus side for SoCal, I've heard that the produce there is amazing and well priced. Maybe a California transplant will chime in with some place that is comparable.

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 AM

26 posts, read 103,008 times
I'm a transplant. I grew up in SoCal. then relocated to the Midwest. I then moved here 2 years ago and never heard of Wegmans until today.

After researching the internet I am impressed. Wegmans looks like a hell of a store. I am certainly going to visit the one in Erie on my next trip just to see something modern for a change.

I dont think I can compare anything in SoCal that can compete with Wegmans. The closest I can think of is Pavilions and that chain is about 25 years old and not nearly as nice as Wegmans.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Is this everywhere in PA? Pittsburgh too?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 AM

26 posts, read 103,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is this everywhere in PA? Pittsburgh too?
None in Pittsburgh. Seems to be a lot of them in NY. The only ones on the west side of PA are Erie and Harrisburg. The rest are in the Philly and NJ areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania