Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 PM

4 posts, read 15,150 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying a house in Oxford, PA and were wondering what it REALLY is like to live there?

I've searched tons of forums and it seems like overall, people are not happy there and the secondary education is a nightmare.

Is anyone happy there? We have a preschool aged child - does anyone have kids that go to the Oxford elementary schools and like it? If not, where do you send your kids then? Is the community fun and kid friendly?

Just need some more opinions. Some of the posts were over 2 years old so just asking for some fresh feedback!

Thanks,
Phuong
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
where are you coming from? why are you considering oxford and what do you want in a place to live?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 9,251 times
I have 4 kids in the Oxford School district. I've put 3 of them through pre-school here as well. Two of them went to a church based pre-school called Bethany and I was pleased with their education there. There is also a community pre-school which my neighbors send their kids to and they like it. There are a few other places, but I'm not sure about them.

On to the school. I have two boys with Asperger's and have been very pleased with the education available for them up until my oldest went to high school. He is in 10th grade and has had some issues with some of the kids. They dealt with things ok, but I think another program would be better for him. As for the regular education I think it could be better. The issue with Oxford is that it's a mixed bag. The population is mostly a mixture of White and Hispanic which causes much of the tension in the high schools I believe. There are also people who have lived here for generations and new comers which may also be cause for tension. However, I feel pretty safe in this area. There are some nice people here and some mean people. As a town in general I find it fairly livable and safe.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 10,999 times
Default Living in Oxford, PA

My daughter and family (2 kids) have lived in Oxford since 1999 and are very happy with the schools. Both kids went to pre-school at a local church and loved it and are now happily attending public school there. I recently bought a lot to build a house there and am wondering if anyone knows if modular homes can be built in Oxford?
Thanks.
P.S. This is the first time I have ever joined a post site and don't know what I'm doing yet!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 AM

10 posts, read 37,362 times
If you like Backwater people with a small insignificant PA town, go for it. Otherwise, avoid at all costs. Think Kentucky without the charm, beauty, etc. Basically a truck stop of a town, why do you think the property is cheap there?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:03 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
You should call the Borough.

Have a Problem? Call our help lines for service in Oxford Borough | Oxford Boro Services | Oxford PA 19363

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1212 View Post
My daughter and family (2 kids) have lived in Oxford since 1999 and are very happy with the schools. Both kids went to pre-school at a local church and loved it and are now happily attending public school there. I recently bought a lot to build a house there and am wondering if anyone knows if modular homes can be built in Oxford?
Thanks.
P.S. This is the first time I have ever joined a post site and don't know what I'm doing yet!

Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 PM

67 posts, read 202,585 times
My hometown! I go back and visit on the holidays, but otherwise I couldn't wait to get out.

There's good and bad. It's convenient to everything and nothing all at once. Around an hour drive to both Philly and Baltimore, just under 2 hours to DC, just under 3 to NYC. Great for day trips, although all of those make a pretty hefty daily commute!

The town itself doesn't have all the essentials in the form of commercial businesses, so you're constantly having to drive to neighboring towns if you need anything from Walmart or the like. (Are they ever gonna build that thing?!?) But at least you can enjoy all the tax free shopping in Delaware.

There are some really awesome local stores in town though, like Neuchatel Chocolates, Outback Trading Co., Dansko...

The community does try to put on a few fun and family friendly events every year, including a Halloween Parade and a street festival (forget the name). Otherwise, there isn't much to do in the form of entertainment. Once again you're driving elsewhere.

My biggest complaint is the housing boom the area experienced in the 90s. The town was not prepared and now it's a sea of single family homes on 1 acre lots on narrow, poorly maintained roads that can't handle the amount of traffic. Plus there's the tension of the "country folk" vs. "city folk" that moved into the area. But I suppose that happens anywhere affected by urban sprawl. The area is not as affluent as the rest of Chester County, so naturally that draws different people than many of the other towns around.

I graduated from the school district, but that was many years ago... I feel I received a good education, though.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 AM

4 posts, read 17,119 times
I moved to Oxford after getting fed up with the noise, pollution and crime of a more urban suburb of Philadelphia. I do not have children so I cannot comment on schools, but downtown Oxford is cute and seems to be having a renaissance of sorts. The surrounding farmland is gorgeous. If you're looking for the hustle-bustle of a city and tons of things to do, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for a small-town feel, peaceful countryside and serenity you'll love this area.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 AM

45 posts, read 93,424 times
Quarryville is near Oxford and has lower taxes and even better environment. But if you want to get away from PA taxes, go south to Maryland or Delaware.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Thread is a year old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania