Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 01:09 AM

4 posts, read 7,994 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is relocating him, within the month, to Montoursville. We have been doing major research on finding a place and gathering as much info as we can. We found a place in Cammal and State College that we are interested in. I am unable to find to much information on Cammal. I did see a few. It looks like a nice quiet country town. That is what we are looking for but looks can always be deceiving. That is why I love these forums. It helps so much to recieve advice from people that live there. I understand it is 30 miles or so to Montoursville, but my husband says it is ok. He does not have to drive to work daily. We are wanting a place safe. I understand living in the city can be high in crime, that is why we are looking outside the city(yes, the country can be high in crime if not more, I understand that). I have lived in the country all my life and I am used to driving 20 minutes to shop. I just want to be safe and in a quiet area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there high crime in this small town? Are the people there rude and not accepting to outsiders? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
Cammal in the Pine Creek Gorge is a beautiful location but barely a town in the conventional sense, pretty much a labeled spot on the road. Note the population of 145 but 514 housing units in the municipality: McHenry Township, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That means there are 8-9 hunting/fishing camps for every full-time house. I'm sure you'd be most welcome to join the local volunteer fire company!

Whether you do or you don't there will surely be eyes watching you, if you've ever lived in a very small community you might know what I mean. You'd need to be willing to embrace the place as it is and know that you and your kids will always be the "new people" regardless of whether you're accepted or rejected. You might want to check out the rural and small town living sub-forum on this site, if you haven't already, when considering moving to a place like Cammal. I do see that you've lived in "the country" but I know that means different things to different folks.

Folks from all around PA come through in the spring for fishing, and now in summer to ride bicycles on the rail trail. If there's a rock slide on 414 or 44 or worse yet a flood it's a looong way around to another road. Hunting/fishing camps in Pine Creek Gorge sometimes get burglarized or vandalized. Long bus ride for kids if that matters, to Jersey Shore schools. Drug store, liquor store? No closer than Jersey Shore for those too. Clothes? Guess you could buy everything in Woolrich® The Original Outdoor Clothing Company Walmart, even? No closer than Lock Haven or Montoursville.

This could be absolutely perfect for you, or you could be totally nuts in a year. Either way, it bears a good bit of thinking about.

In any case, my reply bumps this up the list so if there are folks who really do live in the area on this forum, they might be more likely to notice this thread.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 AM

55 posts, read 155,075 times
Default Living in Cammal

Hi, just an FYI about Cammal. It is a picturesque little town that sits along the pristine Pine Creek. The Creek provides fishing, canoeing, kyaking and swimming. The problems lie in the ability to get from point "A" to point "B". Cammal is about 25 miles, on a narrow winding road, from groceries, drug stores, church, & fire stations etc. Most of the town sits along the main road, rte 44, anything else is back in the mountains. There is a bike trail, "Rail Trail" that goes thru town for miles in either direction, that by itself is priceless.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
We drove out that way one winter and everyone in town seemed to basiically get around on snowmobiles! Personally, I would opt for something closer to, or even in, Montoursville, which is where I grew up and is a wonderful and safe town with a fantastic school system. There are many outlying areas where you could avoid being in town but still be closer to amenities and good schools.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,994 times
Thanks you all for the information. I really appreciate it. Ki0eh..I love the way you stated it was a labeled spot on the road! I have never heard that before. Too funny!! But I do know how it is in small towns where everyone stares at you for being the "newbie". I like that to a point. It makes me feel somewhat protected that locals are very watchful and aware of things. We don't have children so we don't have to worry about bus rides or nothing like that. As far as the rock slides, yikes! I completely forgot about that. That does give us something to consider. Whollyhannah...thanks for all the information. It was very helpful. I don't mind the 25 miles to town unless I am in a big hurry. Dawne...that is hilarious about the locals riding around snowmobile. I have never rode one before! We are looking in Montoursville as well. I have heard plenty good things about Montoursville. Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,786,314 times
There's plenty of places nearer to Montoursville that offer a rural feel. The PA 87 corridor up Loyalsock Creek just up from Montoursville is kinda like Pine Creek without the rail trail. Pennsylvania State Parks - Worlds End - PA DCNR area is absolutely beautiful. (Although before you think you want to be close to the pretty babbling brook, look at these photos from a couple of weeks ago: Picasa Web Albums - PA State Parks - Worlds End fl...# ) Or up the PA 14/Lycoming Creek corridor, a few more ways to get around if you have to and maybe not quite as pricey as around Eagles Mere.

Honestly I wish I were in a position to be able to look for a house in areas like these, so good luck and have fun!

Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 AM

3 posts, read 15,607 times
Lightbulb just a quick note

I would really check things out and take in what others have told you ! e mail me and we can talk
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandt View Post
Thanks you all for the information. I really appreciate it. Ki0eh..I love the way you stated it was a labeled spot on the road! I have never heard that before. Too funny!! But I do know how it is in small towns where everyone stares at you for being the "newbie". I like that to a point. It makes me feel somewhat protected that locals are very watchful and aware of things. We don't have children so we don't have to worry about bus rides or nothing like that. As far as the rock slides, yikes! I completely forgot about that. That does give us something to consider. Whollyhannah...thanks for all the information. It was very helpful. I don't mind the 25 miles to town unless I am in a big hurry. Dawne...that is hilarious about the locals riding around snowmobile. I have never rode one before! We are looking in Montoursville as well. I have heard plenty good things about Montoursville. Thanks for your advice.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 15,607 times
If i were you I would really think this over and take in what others have already told you! E mail and we can talk
eaglewings 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania