Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:23 AM

32,755 posts, read 35,956,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardsouth View Post
Oh, and by the way, there is no such word as "segway." The word is "segue."
Segway – The leader in personal, green transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,581,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
The monday after Thanksgiving we care very little about camo. It's flourescent orange time.
Orange camo

Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
You need to take a road trip to Central PA if you want to see beards and camo
I don't. I can just go to my aunt's house in Pittsburgh for Thanksgiving dinner and look across the table at my cousins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lombardsouth View Post
Oh, and by the way, there is no such word as "segway." The word is "segue."
Well, there is, but it's a brand name for one of those silly stand-up scooters, and not a verb.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:32 PM

26 posts, read 102,342 times
As the guy from Alaska said, this is a pretty funny thread. I too am trying not to take it too seriously and instead am using it for its entertainment value.

But the comments from Living Moon, just not true. Unless she is describing what locals here call "Camps". A "Camp" is not designed to be a full time dwelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingMoon View Post
I call it part of the Third World. What else would you call a place where the adult literacy level hovers around 70%, too many dwellings have no indoor plumbing or central heat? A place overrun with missionaries, but the medical profession considers a hardship assignment?

I've lived in wealthy metropolitan cities, suburban sprawls and now here one of the poorest areas of PA. It took some getting used to. In the time I have been here I've made many friends who match some of the descriptions mentioned in this thread, camo, neckbeards, hunters, Carhartt jackets, no college education Etc.

In the past I've met many college graduates who seemed to have a low IQ yet they held some sort of a degree. Some of the locals here have higher IQ's than anyone I've ever met in a city yet they do not hold a degree - see where I'm going with this?

I have never seen a home w/o plumbing here. Lack of central heating? ok maybe, but I have never seen a home here without some sort of heating system.

Missionaries? hardships? you lost me there.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM

393 posts, read 1,523,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
You need to take a road trip to Central PA if you want to see beards and camo, also hang out around the woods in Potter County the Monday after Thanksgiving and you will see beardopolis.
A large percentage of hunters grow beards just for hunting season.

Why? Because it's cold! Most shave their beards off after hunting season. It's a tradition in PA. Sorry that you don't approve of it.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,712,237 times
I just met a 30 yr old resident of Adams County who used an outhouse until he was 18. We bought as a camp a place that someone was using as a residence in Tioga County with an outhouse (we actually did put septic in). We don't know how common that is because that was one of the questions that got taken off the 2000 Census.

Considerably more common is a "wildcat" discharge with no septic system at all. Herminie, in Westmoreland County had until a couple years ago five acres of toilet paper along the banks of the creek below the town. There was a funeral home in town too. Eww ewww ewww.

Rolling into my desk just today is news of a cluster of homes near Lewistown, Mifflin County, with direct discharges right now in March 2010.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,581,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
A large percentage of hunters grow beards just for hunting season.

Why? Because it's cold! Most shave their beards off after hunting season. It's a tradition in PA. Sorry that you don't approve of it.
Yep, I already know this I'm from PA, your preaching to the choir. You will see plenty of beards on trout season too, must be the lazy ones who don't shave it off?

By the time summer roles around and dirt track season starts it's time to shave it, get's hot and sweaty playing in the church softball league with a beard. Of course there are the diehards that carry beards all year round. We use to call it the Oak Ridge Boys or Alabama (the band) look.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 PM

889 posts, read 2,559,805 times
I think Central PA is much too broad a description for 'all areas that are not Philly or Pittsburgh'. Unfortunately, there's nothing but a patchwork set of names out there, often used interchangeably and over-lappingly by weathermen, tourist marketing agencies, transportation planners, political consultants, and anyone else challenged in trying to describe a geographic part of the state.

The only descriptions I've heard over the years, and that seem to make geographic sense, and convey a sense of a tangible boundary are:
Northern Tier -- all the counties bordering the NY state border.
Northeastern -- as in Scranton and Wilkes Barre and all areas east and north.
NorthCentral -- Williamsport region
Lehigh Valley --

All the other names, Susquehanna Valley, Northwestern, Southcentral/East Central, etc., are very much subject to broad interpretation and a lot of overlap. Do the Poconos include the Lehigh Valley?, are the Laurel Highlands covered by the southwestern region?, The Susquehanna Valley goes all the way form the Northeast (Sayre), and Northcentral (Renovo) south to the Chesapeake Bay, and so covers other named regions.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM

37 posts, read 117,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
I think Central PA is much too broad a description for 'all areas that are not Philly or Pittsburgh'. Unfortunately, there's nothing but a patchwork set of names out there, often used interchangeably and over-lappingly by weathermen, tourist marketing agencies, transportation planners, political consultants, and anyone else challenged in trying to describe a geographic part of the state.

The only descriptions I've heard over the years, and that seem to make geographic sense, and convey a sense of a tangible boundary are:
Northern Tier -- all the counties bordering the NY state border.
Northeastern -- as in Scranton and Wilkes Barre and all areas east and north.
NorthCentral -- Williamsport region
Lehigh Valley --
Having lived in various regions of PA I would say that the NW area (around Erie) is a distinct region of the state and has more in common with its Great Lakes neighbors to the west than it has with Southeastern PA. Even the accent in Erie sounds more like Chicago than Philadelphia.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,691,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
More than a few folks have remarked on a roughly T-shaped zone in the middle of Pennsylvania that is socially and politically more conservative, and much more rural, than the large major-league metro areas Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Let's define this area as covering area codes 717, 814, and the portion of 570 outside "the Poconos."

Having spent much of my life in this zone I recognize its diversity - Gettysburg, Youngsville, Mahanoy City, Artemas, Montrose, Quarryville, and Harrisburg are all quite different places from each other. Yet all have been bypassed by Whole Foods and IKEA, for good or ill.

I live in, love, and have deep family roots in this broadly defined region. I've noticed a couple of posts recently where some terms that have been used have been considered pejorative by other posters.

I would agree that it's better to be defined from within than from outside. Since there is some evident importance placed on a definition at this level, though, what should we call it?
Alabama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania