Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 07:44 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times

Advertisements

Not sure I'm on the right forum (sorry mods), but Pittsburgh was too far west.

Anyway a cool "retirement-spots" eletter that I receive was highlighting the merits of Bellefonte - which I never heard of. It has a below-average cost of living and a back-in-time kind of atmosphere. I was just wondering if anyone has ever been there and what your impressions might be. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
Try posting in the general Pennsylvania forum.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 PM

135 posts, read 369,935 times
It's near Altoona, PA. Between Altoona and State College.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:16 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
From what I remember of Bellefonte, it has a quaint downtown. Growing up in State College, we tended to look down on people from Bellefonte but we were just kids and it was just our sad attempt at feeling superior because we were from a slightly larger town (which it wouldn't even be so if not for Penn State).

Of course the downside to any central PA town is it's isolation from any major city. If you're okay with that and you like small towns, Bellefonte is a great place. It's close enough to State College to enjoy all the events and activities there but far enough away that you're not surrounded by students.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Thanks, folks. Actually, right now I'm just looking for quiet and visually-appealing places to visit late spring/early summer that I could drive to in a few hours. I'm from Delaware County in SE PA. I merely want to relax and enjoy some scenery, do some walking - that's about it. A decent eatery or two in the area would be nice. But inasmuch as this little town was recently highlighted in the "Great retirement Spots" newsletter, I was inquisitive about it. I really appreceate your responses.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:20 AM

15 posts, read 42,106 times
I, also, saw this on Great Retirement places and am looking for more information about this little town. Does it have a movie theatre, for example? How about its grocery stores? I saw there is no public transportation, but does the town provide its Senior Citizens with transportation? I am looking forward to more info about this very attractive little town.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:49 PM

189 posts, read 705,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisMae View Post
I, also, saw this on Great Retirement places and am looking for more information about this little town. Does it have a movie theatre, for example? How about its grocery stores? I saw there is no public transportation, but does the town provide its Senior Citizens with transportation? I am looking forward to more info about this very attractive little town.
Hi LoisMae!! Glad to hear you are interested in Bellefonte. Bellefonte, unfortunately, does not have a movie theatre, but two are located about 10 minutes away in State College. Bellefonte has one grocery store, Weis, which is building a whole new store so it will be very nice when completed. But again, State College is nearby and offers even more options: WalMart, Giant, Wegmans, and soon a Trader Joes. Bellefonte does in fact have public transportation. CATA serves the Bellefonte/State College area. Senior Citizens just have to get an id card at the CATA office and they can ride for free! Check it out here: CATA | Centre Area Transportation Authority Good Luck! Bellefonte is a great little town.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:26 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,052 times
Bellefonte seems to be 'on the up' along with the entire region here; tho Bellefonte seems to be generally lagging with other areas (which means good property values and lower population density, to my thinking).

It's a cute town, near enough to State College to warrent investigation IMO. Lovely downtown park with "Belle Fonte" (spring) and beautiful surrounding wilderness.

~A few years ago we saw a film at a restored theatre in Bellefonte. What happened? I looked online & couldn't find any such thing on Google.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:03 PM

189 posts, read 705,009 times
The Garman Theatre was a true Bellefonte gem that is deeply missed by the residents. The owners decided to sell--I can't remeber if it was for financial reasons or not...it was always pretty full. Anyways, hopefully someone buy it and beginning showing movies and shows there again!!

116 High E Bellefonte, PA 16823 | Commercial Property for Sale in Bellefonte (http://www.1kbb.com/real-estate/Bellefonte/16823/Commercial-Property/116-High-E.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania