Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2010, 10:20 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,906,622 times

Advertisements

I was curious if somebody could point me in the best direction for volunteer work? I've never sought out volunteer work as I've always done extra for the places I have worked. Think I'm more interested in helping out with things that are office oriented like stuffing envelopes or something of that nature. Do they need people to help out with those type of things? I may look into adopting a highway stretch to clean but haven't completed any research to see how somebody sets that up. If anybody has any suggestions or ideas of things to do to help out the community give me a yell here. Thanks and much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 AM

393 posts, read 1,523,947 times
If all the muggings etc. continue in Selinsgrove, they'll need volunteer citizen crime watch foot patrols as they have in Sunbury.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 AM

Yeah things seem to be getting more crazy in the Selinsgrove and Middleburg areas. Crazy and scary incident with the SU kid breaking into 15 some cars and trying to set a few on fire at the mall/MM.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:23 AM

393 posts, read 1,523,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Yeah things seem to be getting more crazy in the Selinsgrove and Middleburg areas. Crazy and scary incident with the SU kid breaking into 15 some cars and trying to set a few on fire at the mall/MM.
There's also a lot of unreported crime going on in Selinsgrove and the area as a whole. It's unreported in the local media because of PC.

I hear stories about unreported incidences almost everyday.

Old 03-29-2010, 02:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,667,251 times
I don't know about office-type work, but Habitat for Humanity has a strong presence through contacts at Susquehanna University. St. Paul's UCC has a food pantry - not sure what type of help they might need. The Episcopal church on Market Street where they have the Tree Fest at Christmas time does a free meal once of month or so.

Oh, how about the library? That would be inside work. They have volunteers at the hospitals in the area too (none in Snyder County, though), and nursing homes could always use volunteers.

If I think of more I'll post as I think of them.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I don't know about office-type work, but Habitat for Humanity has a strong presence through contacts at Susquehanna University. St. Paul's UCC has a food pantry - not sure what type of help they might need. The Episcopal church on Market Street where they have the Tree Fest at Christmas time does a free meal once of month or so.

Oh, how about the library? That would be inside work. They have volunteers at the hospitals in the area too (none in Snyder County, though), and nursing homes could always use volunteers.

If I think of more I'll post as I think of them.
Thanks Dawne and gives me different ideas to think about. Think I am going to do an adopt the highway stretch and maybe the SPCA. Not sure about the SPCA as it's a good drive to get there and want to stay more local. I've always wanted to do the SPCA though. Might rotate and do different things at different points then. Food pantries and soup kitchens are definitely something I'm interested in doing at some point. Might also look into some local senior centers too as I know they can use folks to help with activities and games.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,667,251 times
If you like animals, check out Far Point Collie and Horse Rescue in Port Trevorton. There's also Mostly Mutts outside Sunbury, closer than the SPCA.

Another thing I thought of is the United Way and Red Cross. They need volunteers from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania