Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

doylestown. does the area really have to be solely upper middle class? friggin snobs these days, can't even share a town with regular people. anyway, I'd say doylestown is probably as close to saratoga springs, though maybe a bit quieter. there's also new hope but I'm less familiar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:01 PM

28 posts, read 78,442 times
SD,

Thank you so much - your advice and feedback is extremely helpful!

Everyone really has been so great and I'm so happy that I'm getting all of this guidance, truly. We are planning a trip - hopefully within the next 2 to 3 weeks (the relo company will be coordinating w/ us) and so I'm excited to finally get there and experience PA for myself.

A quick update is that my husband was asked to work out of corp office in Horsham/Willow Grove PA. But the commute to Cranbury, NJ will still be a factor b/c his client is there.

Anyway, I'll definitely check out Leigh County as suggested and most definitely Bucks County. We did see a home online in Fountainville, PA from Pulte Homes - Any positives/negatives about Fountainville?

Thanks again! I want to give you all a big hug, you cannot believe how helpful this is for me.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
doylestown. does the area really have to be solely upper middle class? friggin snobs these days, can't even share a town with regular people. anyway, I'd say doylestown is probably as close to saratoga springs, though maybe a bit quieter. there's also new hope but I'm less familiar with it.
Hi PMan,

I hope your night is going well. I'm sorry you feel that I'm a snob, I get how you can take the "upper middle class" area as a snobby thing. My fault and I'm sorry for offending you. I actually don't consider ourselves as upper middle class. Anyway, moving on - I just enjoy where I live now and have no choice about my move and so if I can find something similar, I'd just be happy. My husband and I like living in a suburban area, where we can walk into the downtown area for great shopping, great restaurants, great parks, bars, etc. We love that Saratoga Springs, NY is lively, young-at-heart, historical, people are always out (with their dogs sometimes), there's just a lot to do. It's just so fun and so relaxing too. I'm not a city person, I visit, but I can't live in a city like enviornment. I've been to NYC type areas and I just don't fit in. Same w/ Albany, NY - I appreciate it very much, but I guess I have my preference. It has nothing to do with sharing a town with regular people - b/c honestly, I feel that I'm a regular person. I don't know. I'm sorry you feel that way and I would like to ensure you that uprooting to a new area for me is very intimidating, especially when I'm happy where I am. BUT I'm so so so excited about exploring PA. So, I just wanted to say, thanks for the feedback/suggestion of Doylestown. I do appreciate it. Definitely share any other info or advice, I would love to hear it, b/c I perfer getting advice from people who live in PA - rather than reading an article online.

I can't wait to drive through the different areas and get to know an area that I would love to live in.

Talk to you soon!
Very best,
GiGi

Last edited by GiGi81; 04-28-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Why is that an oxymoron? I always had two large dogs, now down to one, and most people don't even know I have a dog unless they see him go out in the yard. Sounds like you're not a dog lover or have had a bad experience with a neighbor who owned one. Sorry to hear that.
Hi Pennsynative, When I finally move in - we should have a doggie play date! I have a collie-mix and a small american eskimo. They are calm - except when I come home, I can't seem to get them to stop jumping on me, but I do love that part of my day. Then they go back to sleep (a dog's favorite thing!).

Thanks for your advice/suggestions. I added it to my list

Old 05-02-2010, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 80,664 times
GiGi:

You are welcome

To answer your question regarding Fountainville...

It is nice, but not much going on there. However, it is very close to Doylestown and a short five minute drive will get you there. Unfortunately, it isn't really within walking distance of much... unless you really like your excersice

Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM

76 posts, read 177,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Why is that an oxymoron? I always had two large dogs, now down to one, and most people don't even know I have a dog unless they see him go out in the yard. Sounds like you're not a dog lover or have had a bad experience with a neighbor who owned one. Sorry to hear that.
I think everyone has had a bad experience with a dog at one time or another.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 PM

What does everyone think about Blue Bell, PA?

Old 05-05-2010, 10:00 PM

139 posts, read 366,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative36 View Post
I think everyone has had a bad experience with a dog at one time or another.
Never. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM

36 posts, read 80,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi81 View Post
What does everyone think about Blue Bell, PA?
A relatively nice area. However it doesn't have much of a "town" feeling to it. It is more of an "area" if that makes any sense. Quite a bit of traffic in that area as well.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM

55 posts, read 210,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi81 View Post
Looking to own - a House, between $350K-$400K (or less). We would like to have a 4 bedroom home with a minimum of 2000 Sq Ft.
I'm Married & plan to have children within 1 year.
We'd Prefer Public schools
We Have 2 dogs & would like a large yard
We'd like quiet neighborhood - but with access to a downtown shopping area, restaurants, or city.
I found a bunch of houses in Cranbury, NJ that fit your criteria... I mean I totally understand not wanting to live in Jersey, but about 30 seconds of searching came up with results in Cranbury itself.

I believe Newtown, PA would fit well too. Blue Bell is typical bucks county suburbia i.e. relatively unexceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania