Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 07:02 AM

165 posts, read 516,381 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

We have lived in Tampa, FL for the last three years, but are thinking of moving back to the N.E. to be closer to fmaily in NY. NY is out of the question for many different reason. We were originally looking at central Jersey, but it seems to crowded and expensive. I was thinking the PA/NJ border and Phiadelphia area might be a good place.

We are renting an apt and would be looking to do the same up there. My wife stays at home right now (we have a five yr. old, a 7 yr. old and a dog) and I work in sales for a major telco company. How are the apt rentals in the area? Schools? Job opportuinities?

Any help/information we get would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 08:16 AM

158 posts, read 814,617 times
Well, a 2-BR apt that allows dogs in the suburbs will probably run you $800-900/month...maybe a bit more for a nicer area. Obviously, I don't know what your income looks like, but if you are in the "middle-class range", I'd say finding a job won't be hard (Verizon is a pretty big employer here) but living off of a single income might be.

Since your kids are presumably in school for a good chunk of the day, could your wife go back to work, at least part-time?

Old 08-04-2006, 08:23 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times
Were you planning to put your kids in public schools? There aren't many good ones in Philly. I would check the report cards on the schools, and live somewhere in the vicinity of those kind of schools. Many apartments do take a dog, you just might have to pay a special deposit or a extra fee per month. What price are you looking per month? How much do you care about the safety of the neighborhood, and the quality of the schools?

Old 08-04-2006, 08:47 AM

We are in the middle-class range and do want to live in the suberbs not too close to the city. Schools and safety are important as well. We are hoping to stay close to the border so we can make it to see my wife's family in NY within three hours.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:32 AM

158 posts, read 814,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongedaddy
We are in the middle-class range and do want to live in the suberbs not too close to the city. Schools and safety are important as well. We are hoping to stay close to the border so we can make it to see my wife's family in NY within three hours.
Where in NY? Albany, NY is much further than 3 hours (probably closer to 5) from Philly, for example. Metro NYC can be less than 2 hours.

Like I said before, you're probably looking at around $800-900/month for a smallish 2BR apartment in the average Philly burbs. If you don't feel like you can cram two children into an apartment bedroom, you're looking at $1000+ for a 3BR.

Have you considered buying a home?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Hi Spongedaddy,
we are doing the same as you. We miss the family in NY and NJ. We are heading to Wayne or Susquehanna Counties when we sell down here in Punta Gorda. Jersey is way too expensive as is New York.
We are going to rent while we build a home up there.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I would look into Bensalem or Cornwells Heights in Lower Bucks County.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
Where in NY? Albany, NY is much further than 3 hours (probably closer to 5) from Philly, for example. Metro NYC can be less than 2 hours.

Like I said before, you're probably looking at around $800-900/month for a smallish 2BR apartment in the average Philly burbs. If you don't feel like you can cram two children into an apartment bedroom, you're looking at $1000+ for a 3BR.

Have you considered buying a home?
We are looking to stay under $1200. My wife's family lives in Long Island and Dutchess County (near Fishkill). I don't mind being three hours away

Are the areas mentioned suburbs near the border? Is it better to look for sales positions (and I mean the more professional type positions not selling in a circus environment) in Philly or Central Jersey?

Thanks for all the great info so far.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
The places I mentioned Cornwells Heights and Bensalem are close to I-95 which takes you into NY. They are also close to the New Jersey Transit Trenton train station. Center City Philly is closer to South Jersey, but you won't find housing at the price.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:15 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
SpongeDaddy, have you considered the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton?), or even the Southern Poconos (The Stroudsburgs?) for that matter? The cost-of-living in both of these areas is MUCH more affordable than the ritzier Philly 'burbs, and the commute to metro NYC is typically only about 90 minutes from each of these locations, via I-78 or I-80. As far as employment is concerned, you can probably find a great job either in the Lehigh Valley or just a half-hour or so into NJ. Both areas have some stellar schools for your children, and both have a plethora of inexpensive rentals that are pet-friendly. I don't know if you have your heart set on Philly in particular or not, but even so, the Lehigh Valley is only about an hour from the Philly area and 90 minutes from the NYC area. (Probably two hours from Long Island, or a bit more depending on traffic congestion through the boroughs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania