Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:30 AM

20 posts, read 56,936 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to go back and live in York Pa. I visit all the time. I left when I was 5 years old and have been in California since. York seems like a real nice quaint town to move to. I am nervous though, I am use to this big place here with many things to do and so much diversity. Although I am attracted to the simplity of York very much so, I want to make sure there are things to do and places to visit. What are the people like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 17,032 times
Exclamation Cali to York...not so fast

Suzee -- i moved here from SF the first time in 1999; believe this: Culture shock. No beach -- closest is at least three hours -- and the place/people are at least a decade behind. a word of advice: visit first and stay a few weeks before making that decision.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Thank you for sharing. That is what my Mom said too. Although I am a grown women I still go to her for advise and she said that they are backwards there and not open minded. That is the part that scares me the most and the weather change. Having to shovel snow. I was attracted to the green rolling hills, lower cost of living and a smaller town, but then I think I am just a quick drive down the freeway to the beach and not getting to go there for a couple of hours in one day would be terrible....that is something to not take for granted. Well, I wish you the best again, thank you for your input

Old 03-10-2010, 06:27 AM

Smart mom...

Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 AM

119 posts, read 312,971 times
Yeah we be backwards here, just a bunch of ole hicks lovin life. ..You looking for a place to party stay away from York Co. suburbs. Go to the city of York and all it`s crime.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:57 PM

Actually, I am not looking for a place to party. Way past that stage in my life. But, I am looking for a place where there is friendly open minded people. I am attracted to the Country life and the people really do not bother me. I try to be very friendly when I go back. i just can't imagine living in a place where people only stick to themselves and never say hi in passsing on the street. In another forum. I had someone tell me that the folk there are not too friendly. That is sad to me. Also, here in California, many things are geared towards outdoor living. We have sidewalk cafe's and coffee shops. All the movie theaters have a lot of outdoor activies going on around them and people socialize. I am taking it all in. It is hard for someone like Kathy and I who have had easy access to the beach and such outdoor amenites most of our life. Didn't mean to insult anyone. Just trying to learn about the culture there and it is different. Just trying to find out how different and if I can adapt. I find York to be have a beautiful landscape and I like the old town atmosphere. Thank you all for your input. I love to hear everyone's opinion.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Talking points for people who don't like Pennsylvania

- Backwards
- Not open-minded
- Behind the times
- Resistant to change
- People are leaving in droves
- Cloudy except for two weeks in August

When criticizing the state, be sure to use some permutation of the above talking points in order to reassure yourself that you're better than them. Besides, all 12.6 million Pennsylvanians are EXACTLY THE SAME!

Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 PM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
I can think of a lot of talking points for California, too. My advice to the original poster... if a lot of the California stereotypes fit you, you probably wouldn't want to live in York. And probably most in York would rather you not live there, too. There are already enough people that fled Maryland who are now trying to turn York into Maryland. It makes no sense.

Last edited by kanling; 03-24-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 06:41 AM

As with anywhere, there are great people in and around York; certainly I've found many talented, smart and forward thinking friends in the past decade. Still, it is very different here as an example people still struggle with recycling. It's unfortunate everyone appears to be taking your research, my comments, etc. as some sort of slam. People live in different regions for a reason. There aren't many outdoor cafes or flower carts on the corner. Lancaster City and Harrisburg are a bit more like that. There are beautiful stone farm houses and the landscape is gorgeous. It really depends what soothes your soul.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Me go burn garbagge toonite when the son goes doun. I no recicle. Me never here ov it.

There! Is that what you elitists want to read?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania