Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:32 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,086,371 times

Advertisements

You should see the you ones handle the team of 6 German horses on the field!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,414 times
Sometimes I work out in shrewsberry at an amish market selling candels. Generally speaking, Amish children dont learn english till there five. up untill then, they speak German.
They do usually have very good prices and almost everything I've ever gotten has alwasy been super fresh.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I stopped at an amish farm stand that was a little off the beaten path in northeastern Lancaster County. There was an 8 year old girl minding the stand and their prices were great. $3.00 for a dozen ears of corn, $1 for a quart of string beans(smoked ham, corn fritters and string beans for dinner that night, mmm yeah) and cantelopes 2 for a dollar.
Anyway she had the dutchiest amishiest accent I had ever heard for a child. I'm used to hearing adults speaking like that but it was cute hearing a kid talk like that. One fif TAY, , two fif TAY. That will BAY three fif TAY.
True Amish - only speaks German to their children until they are 6 years old and ready to attend school.
This ensures them that the tradition will not be lost and so they can talk about you in front of your face, and unless you know German - you won't be able to understand what they are saying.

Kind of like a Pig Latin for Dutchies.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofJoePA View Post
I was just wondering if there were places in Lancaster or other places that sort of cater to a curiosity around the Amish. I'm just wondering if there were tours or museums or anything like that.

I'm sort of fascinated by them and would enjoy learning about their way of life.
Amish people are very private and because of their belief's - they are very bashful and backwards.

Some of their belief's includes not taking their picture.

They believe that when you take their picture that you are capturing a part of their soul on the film.

The same holds true with rubber tires. They believe that the air is captured inside of the tire and that it is a sin to hold things like that in captivity.

While at the same time, they beat their kids and their animals into submission and work their horses to death.
You never buy a used Amish horse - because it's back is usually broke, and has a big U in the middle from all the hard work they loaded up on that horse.

I also believe - and what they told me was that they believe that if God wanted you to take more then one bath per a week, that he would have put more SAT's in the names of the days of the week.

Nothing stinks worse then the Amish in the summertime.

If you really wanted to meet real Amish - the place to go is near Punxsutawney PA and not Lancaster. Those Lancaster Amish are city slickers compared to the Punxsy ones.

Nearly every road that has Amish living on it - has some sort of Bulk Foods store or Bent and Dent.

They sell windows and doors and flat tin for putting on roofs and siding and do cement work and carpentry work and farm and cut timber and saw timber. Some of the hardest working people you will ever meet.

When times are good, they all ride around in automobiles, when times are tough, you see more and more Amish buggies along the road and road apples along the road.

You can purchase Quilts at a premium price down near Trade City / Plumville. Don't expect to get anything hand made dirt cheap.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:17 PM

226 posts, read 760,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Amish people are very private and because of their belief's - they are very bashful and backwards.

Some of their belief's includes not taking their picture.

They believe that when you take their picture that you are capturing a part of their soul on the film.

The same holds true with rubber tires. They believe that the air is captured inside of the tire and that it is a sin to hold things like that in captivity.

While at the same time, they beat their kids and their animals into submission and work their horses to death.
You never buy a used Amish horse - because it's back is usually broke, and has a big U in the middle from all the hard work they loaded up on that horse.

I also believe - and what they told me was that they believe that if God wanted you to take more then one bath per a week, that he would have put more SAT's in the names of the days of the week.

Nothing stinks worse then the Amish in the summertime.

If you really wanted to meet real Amish - the place to go is near Punxsutawney PA and not Lancaster. Those Lancaster Amish are city slickers compared to the Punxsy ones.

Nearly every road that has Amish living on it - has some sort of Bulk Foods store or Bent and Dent.

They sell windows and doors and flat tin for putting on roofs and siding and do cement work and carpentry work and farm and cut timber and saw timber. Some of the hardest working people you will ever meet.

When times are good, they all ride around in automobiles, when times are tough, you see more and more Amish buggies along the road and road apples along the road.

You can purchase Quilts at a premium price down near Trade City / Plumville. Don't expect to get anything hand made dirt cheap.
I came from an Amish backround. Amish do not want their picture taken because they think of that as being too prideful. The reason for no rubber on the buggy wheels is because that is too modern, like our cars.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:26 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
I was just wondering if there were places in Lancaster or other places that sort of cater to a curiosity around the Amish. I'm just wondering if there were tours or museums or anything like that.

I'm sort of fascinated by them and would enjoy learning about their way of life.
Go to Shady Maple the huge buffet restaurant. The Amish all work there. Ask them.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 AM

226 posts, read 760,791 times
Quote:

Go to "The Amish Experience" in the town of Bird in Hand. It walks you through the life of the Amish with a play of "Jacob's Way" and a tour of a Amish house.
http://www.amishexperience.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania