Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,815,184 times

Advertisements

roughly, and what would be a good stopping point? are there any other scenic routes between the two cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:51 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Easily twice as long as the Turnpike, I've never quite had the patience to do it all at once.

Are you looking for the birds and trees kind of scenery or the early auto-era kitsch type of scenery?

Old 05-25-2010, 03:15 PM

a mix of old towns, early auto, and perhaps park scenery as well. thinking of doing the turnpike one way and 30 the other but i suppose I could do it in sections. take the tunrpike to bedford and go west on 30 or vice versa. I do see it goes through chambersburg and bedford, among others (downingtown, lancaster, etc)...ligonier. don't know much about these places though. want to see a little of penn I don't know much about.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,894 times
Its a very scenic and historic trip on route 30. But it is not quick. Im guessing 6 hours. Am thinking you have time and not in a hurry. There are some really great books written in this highway's history when it was known as the Lincoln Highway. Before you experience it either read one of the books or go online to learn some fascinating stuff. If you really want a treat make the trip on the second weekend in October to see it at its height.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 AM

24,396 posts, read 23,050,809 times
West of Gettysburg and Chambersburg are some pretty nice vistas. I remember an old hotel/restaurant built like a ship on the mountain, but it was gone when we drove by after a stop at the PA 9 11 crash site. It might have been rebuilt, I don't know. You definitely want to stop at the 911 memorial site if you're out that way at least.
Route 30 is slow and only 2 lanes although it widens and picks up east of Gettysburg. Driving through Gettysburg is nice and worth a stop. Caledonia State Park is right on 30 and has some areas to stop.
Chambersburg had a huge strip of restaurants and shops on 30 as I recall. By the time you hit York and Lancaster 30 its a lot faster all the way to Philly although it gets pretty jammed around Exton traffic wise.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
The current US 30 bypasses the centers of a lot of the nicer towns, such as Ligonier, Bedford, Everett, and McConnellsburg. It still goes through the centers of Schellsburg, Chambersburg and Gettysburg.

US 30 through Chambersburg and miles on either side is probably not the highlight of the trip with perhaps more traffic than either natural or cultural interest. If you try to work your way around Chambersburg to the south but north of Greencastle and Waynesboro you will probably not go through quicker but will find more attractive farmsteads instead of strip malls and traffic lights.

If you really want to be transported back in time between Gettysburg and Breezewood, work your way through Arendtsville, Shippensburg, Upper Strasburg, Fannettsburg, Burnt Cabins, and follow westbound Bike Route S along the paths of General Forbes back to US 30.

However I once came over Tuscarora Mountain at the Fulton/Franklin county line a week after returning from a trip to Boulder, CO and it occurred to me thatthe only real difference was that PA has enough precipitation to support tree growth.

Here is a web site featuring six counties in the central and west parts of the old "Lincoln Highway" route: Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor, Ligonier, Pennsylvania

Here is more info especially if you chase the links on the bottom: Pennsylvania Highways:* US 30

Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 AM

I was thinking of making a pit stop at Texas Lunch in chambersburg, it appears there is still some town left, has it been leveled for strip malls?

thanks for the info btw. Icy Tea-seems like that hotel is for sale if you're interested. is the coffee pot still open?

Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 PM

139 posts, read 366,044 times
Icy Tea: West of Gettysburg and Chambersburg are some pretty nice vistas. I remember an old hotel/restaurant built like a ship on the mountain, but it was gone when we drove by after a stop at the PA 9 11 crash site. It might have been rebuilt, I don't know.

A guy wrote a book about that hotel, and he is doing a book tour right now; I keep seeing his name in the paper and the places where he is doing book signings. That would have some interesting history in it.
I love Rt. 30--if the OP goes that way, they should stop in Ligonier, and at Idlewild--that carousel is one of the oldest in the country.
Leave lots of time!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 AM

712 posts, read 1,970,703 times
I would say easily 5 to 6 hours depending on the time of day and how much traffic you encounter.

I would stop in Bedford to eat. It's always been my half way point when I am traveling, either there or Breezewood.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
I would say easily 5 to 6 hours depending on the time of day and how much traffic you encounter.

I would stop in Bedford to eat. It's always been my half way point when I am traveling, either there or Breezewood.
anywhere in particular in bedford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania