Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2011, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,464 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am hoping to relocate from the Portland, Oregon area to Pensacola. I used to live in the south, so I am familiar with the pros/cons of the area (more conservative than PNW, heat, cockroaches, etc).
I am mainly concerned with the cost of living & what salary I will need to maintain a decent lifestyle. I make a little over 70K in Oregon, and own a nice 3/2 home in an upscale suburb with very low crime & top schools. I've heard that Gulf Breeze has some of the top schools, lower crime rates, and is family friendly - so it seems like it would be an equivelant type of area. It is going to be a while before I can get rid of my home in Oregon and buy in another state, so I will need to find a rental. What areas do you recommend? I'm a beach lover & hate the NW weather.
- Can anyone recommend a cheap, safe, rental near local schools (I have two kids)?
- And, can anyone give me an idea of the cost of living? Especially the equivelants of these: I pay about $4K/yr in property tax, $600/yr property insurance, Income tax is about 9%, but we don't have sales tax. Houses like mine sell for about $275-300K, with 3b/2bt, liv/din/den, fireplace, 1900sq ft - I could rent an equivelant house for about $1800/m up here. Utilities run about $100/m for electric, $75/m for gas, $ 60/water & sewer, $ 35/garbage. Car insurance averages about $100/m full coverage for a basic family car.

The problem is, I may need to cover both my mortgage in rent when I first relocate - and I expect I'll have to take a pay cut. I have no problem downsizing to a tiny apartment (or house) if I am paying less in income tax & expenses, and I am in a safe area with top schools. It would really help to have an idea where my expenses will go up, and where they will go down.

I'd also like to get an idea of the employment market. We have almost 10% unemployment; it's almost impossible to make ends meet on less than $ 50k/year up here. Is that the situation in the Pensacola area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
View detailed profiles of: