Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2011, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 10,131 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving from central Missouri to somewhere in Florida (considering Pensacola--that's how I ended up here), or Houston Texas.

I know this isn't a 'Texas' forum, so please forgive me for making that part of my question. But I was hoping to possibly find someone that might've lived in both that could compare the two for us.....????

The most interesting part of coming to the forum and reading is the wide variety of opinions concerning Pensacola! It's left me scratching my head, to be honest.

We think we would like to come down that way, and we will both need jobs (lower levels of IT for me, and bank teller for her). We are in our late 30's and would be considered middle class, average people. Don't drink, party, or any of that stuff, so the 'laid back' thing I keep hearing about Pensacola suits me just fine. BUT, then I read the next post that says it's a college kid party town, basically.

I know you all are probably tired of people coming on here and asking these same 'stupid' questions, but I didn't see alot of posts from this time frame that left me feeling too confident, or informed of the current status of Pensacola.

So if you would....What are we to expect coming from Missouri to Pensacola? I've never lived outside the midwest and we just want a change of scenery, and, the job market here is absolutely pathetic.

If you didn't live there now, would you recommend someone like us to move there? Is it still that hard to find someplace to rent? A job? Is the poverty really that bad? What's the one thing that would be hugely different between Missouri and Florida that you know of---besides the weather?

We don't mind taking jobs that aren't in our 'profession or range', we just want to be able to move somewhere and be able to be average people, in a town/city that we enjoy. Have some great friends, and enjoy church activities, as well.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

Brad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 PM

753 posts, read 843,148 times
I can see where you'd be confused. It's kind of strange that Pensacola is a little microcosm of differences.

But from what you described, I think there are parts of our area you would fit right into. Possibly a suburb like Gulf Breeze, Pace, Milton and commute into P'cola. Although there are parts of Pensacola you might love.

Sorry that's a very general answer but realize that most anything 'liberal' here is considered a minority view. The panhandle votes just about as red as it gets and there are hundreds of churches here.

Also, since you guys have professional experience, you shouldn't have trouble (eventually) finding a job in your field.

There is a poster from this area that is from Texas, so he'll have to fill you in on that front.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Pensacola is certainly not a "college kid party town".

I have lived in the Mobile/Pensacola area all of my life, and I have also spent some time in Houston. As far as the culture is concerned, I don't notice a huge difference as both are "gulf coast Southern", except maybe Houston has more Hispanic influence. I believe Houston is the 4th largest city in the US, whereas Pcola is tiny by comparison, so obviously there is a difference there.

Houston probably has more job opportunities, but you'll have to compete with the other transplants that are flocking there. Pensacola has many military families which tend to be temporary residents.

Traffic in Houston is hell, almost as bad as Atlanta IMO. Both cities have extensive ghetto areas.

Panhandle beaches are prettier than TX beaches (if you care about that).

Old 12-08-2011, 08:47 AM

7 posts, read 10,131 times
Thank you both for your responses and help!

If I undersand correctly, it looks like Pensacola is about 50,000 people or so? Does that include just Pensacola, or is that the entire metropolitan area?

I read on here that there are various festivals and things, but are there other basic forms of small entertainment there too, other than watersports/relaxation? For instance---miniature golf courses, go-karts, frisbee golf courses, bowling alleys, etc...?

I guess what we are kind of hoping for is---a small town feel (from small town midwest, ya know ) with some bigger city ammenities and things to do. I realize that's A LOT to ask for, but it can't hurt to hope, right?

You mentioned commuting into p-cola---is that a nightmare of traffic, or just typical busy highways type stuff? Traffic jams? Or just the normal 'people in a hurry to get somewhere' drivers?

Are the suburbs that you mentioned more expensive to live in, about the same, or less expensive that p-cola. It sounds like from what you said that Gulf Breeze might be right for us, but I'm wondering how long the typical commute might be, and are there jobs in those areas, too.

Thanks again for your time helping us. I know you don't have to take the time to do it, but it is much appreciated. This is a HUGE move for us, and the more informed we can be, the better.

God Bless,
Brad

Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
It sounds like Pace or Milton would be more for you if you're wanting a "small town feel". Pace was basically a farming community 15 years ago, but now has subdivisions scattered around. Milton is a more established town, but the two kinda run together. You can easily be in Pensacola in 20 minutes, and the traffic isn't that bad.

The 50k pop estimate is just the city of Pcola I believe, not the metro area.

As for stuff to do, you don't have to stay in Pcola. There's the Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores, Bayfest in Mobile, Redneck Christmas Parade in Chumuckla, Peanut Festival in Jay, etc, etc...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:37 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Please skip FL and go straight to Texas. I just came back from living in Texas for 5 years and I can tell you right now that Florida is NOT where it's at. I was born and raised here. I just came back to finish school. As soon as I'm done, I'm relocating. Florida is a HOT MESS right now. The economy is crap everywhere in the state. You will have much better chances at everything in Texas. Even though the weather in Houston is comparable to FL, you should still go there. The people are extremely nice. Cost of living is low. And the economy is better than half the country. I reccomend you check out all four Texas cities. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, & Dallas to see which fits you best.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Please skip FL and go straight to Texas. I just came back from living in Texas for 5 years and I can tell you right now that Florida is NOT where it's at. I was born and raised here. I just came back to finish school. As soon as I'm done, I'm relocating. Florida is a HOT MESS right now. The economy is crap everywhere in the state. You will have much better chances at everything in Texas. Even though the weather in Houston is comparable to FL, you should still go there. The people are extremely nice. Cost of living is low. And the economy is better than half the country. I reccomend you check out all four Texas cities. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, & Dallas to see which fits you best.
Texas might possibly have the better job market, but you (OP) should probably do some scouting and research in both markets to see which might work out better.

I would also suggest that if the Panhandle area doesn't work out, you might like something in central Florida like Lakeland - Polk County has a little bit better job market I think than some other areas, plus it's in the middle of the "hi-tech corridor" and right between Tampa and Orlando. It is slightly more conservative and religious than the coastal cities and has a lot of home-town feel and civic pride (we used to live there). Very pretty city.

Anyway, good luck to you!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM

753 posts, read 843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well, I have to chime in here and say that Pensacola is wayyyyy different from Ft. Lauderdale. And don't get me wrong about those Texas cities, but the OP said they wanted a small town feel with some city-style amenities. None of those cities provide that. They are way too large.

I think the panhandle of Florida best describes what the OP is looking for here, not the peninsula.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 AM

500 posts, read 1,173,907 times
Hi! I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to tell you that I'm in exactly the same boat. Single-ish Ohio girl, mid-thirties, not really into any "scene" (laid back and quiet), trying to decide between San Antonio and Pensacola. I'm seeing that there's definitely more job opportunites in SA, but I'm not thrilled with how large the city is. I love the idea of being within a half hour of the beach (and the beaches in the panhandle are AMAZING!), and would rather rent a small house than live in a big apartment complex.

It's really a To Each His Own kind of thing, so hopefully we both can figure it out!

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,620,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
Hi! I don't have an answer for you, but just wanted to tell you that I'm in exactly the same boat. Single-ish Ohio girl, mid-thirties, not really into any "scene" (laid back and quiet), trying to decide between San Antonio and Pensacola. I'm seeing that there's definitely more job opportunites in SA, but I'm not thrilled with how large the city is. I love the idea of being within a half hour of the beach (and the beaches in the panhandle are AMAZING!), and would rather rent a small house than live in a big apartment complex.

It's really a To Each His Own kind of thing, so hopefully we both can figure it out!
I actually lived in San Antonio and I extremely suggest you go there. You need to go where the jobs are. San Antonio really isn't that big once you actually live there and see for yourself. It seems big from description. The city is seperated into 4 regions. The Northside, east, south, and west. The northside is the preferred side for most transplants (like we were) since it is with newer development, better schools, more job opportunity, more integrated and more diverse than the others. The others are pretty much blah. Just ethnic enclaves. I would advise you to check into it seriously if you want to survive in this economy. You can't even go to the beach at this time in FL. It's only around summer that you can start to. Not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola