Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 07:36 AM

99 posts, read 203,923 times

Advertisements

I am intimately familiar with the Destin area, having lived in Okaloosa County for nearly a decade. From my perspective it's a fantastic place to live, and many of what might have been called "shortcomings" a few years ago are improving.

The list of "good things" is lengthy. And I'm sure you're already familiar with a lot of it. So let me discuss the shortcomings.

Traffic: Destin really isn't designed to handle the traffic it gets, especially from March through September. The locals know all the shortcuts to doing an end-run around the traffic jams. But even the back roads are getting conjested. Many weekends the Mid-Bay bridge is backed up miles into Niceville (to the North). I don't see this situation improving unless the tourists stop coming, or they expand the bridge to make it a four-lane.

Boat Traffic: Really...if you move here the chances are pretty high that you're going to spend time on the water. Destin has a pretty big number of boat/jet ski rental businesses. And Destin pass can be a very dangerous place, especially if you don't understand the "rules of the road," and how a swift current can effect something like a pontoon boat as it operates around other boats and structures like the Destin Bridge. The waterway between the northern marker (just north of Crab Island) and Destin Harbor have gotten much more dangerous since I first moved here. And the vast majority of the problem is vacationing boaters operating rental boats, many of whom have absolutely no understanding of how to boat safely in this environment.

Hurricane Evacuation: I live a bit north of Destin. But if I lived in Destin I wouldn't waste much time evacuating if the order were given. It can be a real nightmare getting out of there in the peak tourist season. And an accident on or near the Destin Bridge could easily turn into a sitaution where you literally ride out a hurricane from the seat of your car if you wait until the last minute to evacuate. It's happened before down here.

I noticed the comment "beachmouse" made about healthcare options. And while I often agree with his/her comments on this forum, this is one area where I disagree, to an extent. I think the healthcare services here are pretty fair, and improving over time. Sacred Heart Hospital, just east of Destin, has what I consider to be an outstanding reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Sacred Heart is good in what it does, especially when they're rotating some of their physicians over from the mothership in Pensacola one or two days a week. But they still have some gaps, and it seem like 75% of the people I know who have had to interact with FWB Medical Center, the most comprehensive hospital in the area, have had moderate problems to malpractice situations with them.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
it seem like 75% of the people I know who have had to interact with FWB Medical Center, the most comprehensive hospital in the area, have had moderate problems to malpractice situations with them.
I have also heard of instances were the medical care was not up to par and malpractice suits were filed as a result with FWB Medical.

Sacred Heart Hospital is by far the best in the area, IMO.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,999,878 times
Thanks for all the input - although I don't plan to "live like a tourist," we do enjoy outdoor activities, biking and fitness - and doing our daily 3 mile walk on a beautiful coastline is much more appealing that doing it 1) on a treadmill or 2) in the midst of Houston's heavy exhaust fumes. The hot temperature and climate similar to what we have in Houston so that isn't an issue.

Traffic - yikes - I hate it but if I will be retired when I move there, don't see it as an issue because I don't think I'll be in a hurry unless I have an appointment at a specific time. I would like a neighborhood where there is some stability though. Last time I visited I saw a D.R. Horton neighborhood just on the Bay side of Hwy. 98 between Santa Rosa Beach and Panama City Beach. Because it isn't on the water, am guessing that a neighborhood such as that might offer more permanent residents but really don't know. While some say it isn't a small town - coming from Houston, it is. Started to buy a condo while we were there in the Spring and put it on the rental system until we are ready to move but had second thoughts if we really wanted to get involved in the rental thing or not as we aren't close enough to check on it regularly.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:02 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The Point Washington area north of 98 is mostly year-round folks, and there are pockets elsewhere where that also happens.

We went through a few of the D.R. Horton models during Parade of Homes, and thy seemed to be built to absolute minimum building codes and have fit & finish that was going to look bad pretty quickly. For what you'd pay in some of their deveopments, you could get a (admittedly smaller) home from one of the good custom homebuilders in the area like Randy Wise or O'Shea.

If we had the budget and willingness to move, I so would love one of O'Shea's custom ICF homes. They build rock solid and I'd have absolute confidence in the house holding up well in a hurricane.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM

3 posts, read 10,770 times
Hey there,

I am a native of Niceville, the town right across the bay from Destin. (Hi beachmouse!)

Destin is fine IF you like the beach and beach-related things, and therefore tourist-related things. That's basically all there is to do. Or you can go bowling, or hang out with creepy 20 somethings at the one nightclub on the island.

Otherwise, it's tourists from March to September, so good luck on Highway 98!

(Can you tell I moved away? LOL)

ETA: I was born in FWB hospital, and they've always been good to me personally, but even Twin Cities in Niceville seems to be better.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 14,252 times
Just wanted to add: Niceville is a nice alternative if you want more of a community feel. You are still close to the beautiful beaches and plenty of entertainment without living directly in tourist central. I have friends that live in Niceville and love it.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
Destin is the worst place I've ever lived.... takes 3 hours for a 5 mile drive and too expensive

Old 11-17-2018, 07:30 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Willbird View Post
Destin is the worst place I've ever lived.... takes 3 hours for a 5 mile drive and too expensive
My wife and I love the Destin area and considered moving there, but ultimately did not because of the traffic and the prices. We landed west, a bit, in Orange Beach, AL. Perhaps it, too, will develop the same characteristics, but for now (Spring Break aside), it is more manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola