Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 20,207 times

Advertisements

Hey all...

My family will be relocating to Pensacola. My husband will be working on the Naval Air Station there. Never been to Florida and need to find out the best places to live and the best schools - so worried about it.

I'm a small island girl and would like to find a home in a quiet, clean, and good area. My husband said he doesn't mind driving if the area is worth it. I have a middle schooler and a 1st grader. The middle schooler will be in high school next year. Any suggestions?

And does anyone know if there is a hula school in Pensacola - just thought I might throw that out there.

Also, was wondering about the Pleasant Grove area - sounds nice online.

Thanks and looking forward to anything to put my mind at ease....

Wendy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 22,620 times
My family is moving there also from Georgia. I'm trying to find a good high school for my son and a nice home.
Rhonda

Old 10-04-2007, 12:20 PM

14 posts, read 80,575 times
I lived in Pensacola on and off for 10 years while in the Navy (Navy Hospital). It is a great place although it is a little isolated. I lived in an area over by the Naval Air Station and it was nice. There has been a lot of new development over the past few years.

As for school my son went to Pensacola Christian School so I don't know about any public schools. But I will say Pensacla Christian was an excellent school.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:05 PM

22 posts, read 178,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandmalia View Post
Hey all...

My family will be relocating to Pensacola. My husband will be working on the Naval Air Station there. Never been to Florida and need to find out the best places to live and the best schools - so worried about it.

I'm a small island girl and would like to find a home in a quiet, clean, and good area. My husband said he doesn't mind driving if the area is worth it. I have a middle schooler and a 1st grader. The middle schooler will be in high school next year. Any suggestions?

And does anyone know if there is a hula school in Pensacola - just thought I might throw that out there.

Also, was wondering about the Pleasant Grove area - sounds nice online.

Thanks and looking forward to anything to put my mind at ease....

Wendy
I live in Gulf Breeze, just east of Pensacola. There are NO good schools in Pensacola, sorry. However, Gulf Breeze, just across the bridge has excellent schools, as does Navarre, which is another half an hour east. Stay away from the west side of Pensacola. It's ugly and rundown. The east side is much better, but again there are no good schools.

Also, Pensacola is very racially mixed, about 69% white and 30% black. Gulf Breeze is 99% white, and Navarre is a military area with a good mix of military families living in nice brick ranchers in subdivisions. Depending on how you may feel, each area will be different. Gulf Breeze has this "we are better" attitude, and some who live within the city limits refer to their area as Gulf Breeze "proper", kinda looking down at everyone else. But Gulf Breeze "proper" has the hospital, the schools, the ball parks, close to the Pensacola Beach bridge, shopping center, library, and is an appealing neighborhood. Plus, Gulf Breeze crime rate is very low, whereas Pensacola's very high. But you can get to the mall, airport, Walmarts, etc. within 15minutes either direction, and to the beautiful beach in a minute.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:18 PM

I have another post, so I won't repeat, I did want to say that north & east of the "city" of Pensacola, along RT-90 are towns that might appeal to people- Pace & Milton. Pace is building subdivisions in what was once the country. Picture green farmland, white fences with horses, with trees so that you can't see too far. Beautiful country, new homes, and easy to get into Pensacola. However, most of the storms traveling west to east seem to hit north of Gulf Breeze. Every once in a while I hear reports of tornado activity. But the north gets the rain which makes it nice and green.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imrwklein View Post
I have another post, so I won't repeat, I did want to say that north & east of the "city" of Pensacola, along RT-90 are towns that might appeal to people- Pace & Milton. Pace is building subdivisions in what was once the country. Picture green farmland, white fences with horses, with trees so that you can't see too far. Beautiful country, new homes, and easy to get into Pensacola. However, most of the storms traveling west to east seem to hit north of Gulf Breeze. Every once in a while I hear reports of tornado activity. But the north gets the rain which makes it nice and green.
I forgot to mention that the schools in the north, outside Pensacola are excellent too.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM

24 posts, read 164,372 times
Default Gulf Breeze

My father worked at NAS for many years and we lived in Gulf Breeze. I would highly recommend it as far as beauty, safety and excellent schools. The elementary school is a national blue ribbon school, they are A+ and rank at the top in the state of Florida. It is worth taking a look - lots of homes for sale which is rare - due to the slow market. It is a great little town very close to the beach and surrounded by water. Mostly professionals and military that live here. Well worth the drive - no doubt!

Old 11-02-2007, 11:50 AM

10 posts, read 50,035 times
Default Moving to Pensacola, FL

We live on Bayou Grande across from the Pensacola NAS, just a couple miles from Pleasant Grove, and will be selling soon. I don't want to make a real estate pitch, but it would be a great house if it meets your needs. I cannot brag about the immediate neighborhood, though we do have a retired Admiral doc and a retired Zerox executive a few house from us. In another part of town (say the Northeast) our house would be way out of our price range.

As for Pensacola as a place to live, it has its pros and cons like most places. But it does have great beaches, a charming downtown, great (for a small city) symphony orchestra and opera company and theater. And from October through May, you can't beat the weather.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 25,958 times
Like everyone else, I would definitely suggest Gulf Breeze. My boyfriend is a pilot out at NAS and lives in Gulf Breeze, it only takes him about 15-20 minutes to get to work, it's not that bad. I didn't go to high school here, but my little brother goes to Pensacola Beach Elementary (it's a charter school, not public) and is a very good school. He'll be going to Gulf Breeze middle in a couple of years. My younger sister went to Gulf Breeze High School and hated it, but I think that mostly had to do with the fact that the kids there are affluent and a bit spoiled. All the 16 year olds had brand new cars while my sister still had to take the bus. Normal teenage stuff I guess. It is known as the 'stuck up' school, for lack of better words.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:47 AM

1 posts, read 19,201 times
Wink Moving to Pensacola Area

I too along with my family will be moving to the Pensacola area. My job has an office there and well it is just time to branch out...I have a 10 year old daughter who will be starting the 5th grade this year. My husband and I are looking for a rental, possibly rent to own or lease to own. Preferably 2-3 bedroom. My oldest daughter, her husband and their 2 sons will be joining us, hopefully, so they will be looking for a place as well. I would like to find a duplex with both sides availabe. That would be ideal. If anyone has any suggestions, any would be great. Thank you, Margaret

Last edited by Mrand MrsPackman4Ever; 07-16-2008 at 12:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola