Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM

21 posts, read 53,102 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for any and all information on Niceville. We're 30 and 33 yrs old, with a 7 yr old child. I've researched the entire state of FL insanely for 6 months now, and I'm close to settling with Niceville. We want, of course, Paradise Good schools, Low crime, Friendly neighbors, and beautiful beaches within 30 mins away! We DO need something workable on a budget though! Here's a priorities list, in order:

1. Housing (pref. not an APT) - Needs to be atleast a 2bdrm, max. of $800-$850/month
2. ---^ NEEDS TO BE A SAFE NEIGHBORHOOD!
3. Schools - Good schools are a TOP priority, I refuse to move anywhere with mediocre or poor schools.
4. BEACHES!! - We want beautiful, white-sanded, clear-watered beaches within 30mins drive time!

We definitely need good healthcare as well, but I'm willing to drive to a nearby city for appointments, too.

Does Niceville sound like it fits us?

I'm mostly concerned with the cost of living... the research I've done is really fluctuating on information (rent, utilities...) and I have no idea what is correct information!

*ADD* - How is this city with dogs? Is it dog friendly (as far as renting a house and/or apartment)? Any breed bans?

Last edited by Candikane; 09-14-2012 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Added another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
You can get an idea of the rental market from Emerald Coast Homes Online:

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

Price is going to be an issue for you- you're competing for rentals with Air Force folks who have a fairly comfortable housing allowance by local standards, and market price reflects the DoD housing allowances. You're going to have a really hard time finding a small single family home in decent condition for less than $1,000/month and even a townhouse in the $800 range might be tough.

In terms of safety, there are a few pockets of not-great in Niceville. These are often right next to fairly nice areas- it's a smallish city where the remaining vacant land is developed rather slowly to maximize developer profits, so that's just how it happens. Schools are generally quite good, with the edge to the east side (Plew & Bluewater) at the elementary level and the secondary schools rate very well by Florida standards.

Depending where you are in town, you're 30 minutes to Okaloosa Island Beaches, the Crystal Beach part of Destin, or both.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM

It looks like Crestview would suit my housing budget better... and just deal with an hour drive to the beach!?

Old 09-14-2012, 09:38 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,556 times
Crestview is a trailer park dump. Dont move there. Its housing for all the rednecks/army personell.

truth.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Crestview is a trailer park dump. Dont move there. Its housing for all the rednecks/army personell.

truth.
You must have only seen the older parts. South of Crestview near I-10 is much more well kept.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM

LOL, well Crestview might not be the winner either then! Back to searching I guess....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola