Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM

40 posts, read 101,792 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Lived in St. Pete most of my childhood. Live in South Dakota now and want to move back to FL in my active retirement. My sister and I prefer a smaller town, but near ocean. We want to be able to walk to downtown, shopiping, restaurants, etc. We are looking at Pensacola and possibly getting a restored Victorian w/i walking distance to downtown. We would love a view of the bay, but not a deal breaker.

I am looking for thoughts on crime, realizing just about anywhere we move from Western South Dakota is going to have higher crime. I realize it has a military base, but so does Rapid City. We live 25 miles south of Rapid on 12 acres in the Black Hills.

We prefer Pensacola to Pensacola B each b/c we want a decent-sized yard for our dogs.

We like the cooler (relatively speaking) temps of Pensacola as compared to further down in FL. We also have dogs and it appears Pensacola tries to be pet friendly.

Any comments are appreciated.

Karen F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 11:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,667,152 times
I'm not overly familiar with crime and such, but looking up the zip code map, I'd say try to stay east of I-110. The North Hill area has some really lovely homes, but it gets sketchy pretty quick when you get to the alphabet streets.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Thank you very much,

Karen

Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Pensacola's crime doesn't crime from the military (except maybe some petty stuff), it comes from the ghettoes.

Like Beachmouse said, stay away from the letter streets, and certainly Cervantes St.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your response. I reread my email and realize how dumb my comment was. I did not mean in any way to imply that having a military base in Pensacola meant more crime. I should have separated my comments. My son is in the Coast Guard and I do not think that way at all.

I just know the larger a city, the more crime, generally. I live in the country now and do not lock my doors.

Karen F.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,667,152 times
Pretty much everywhere in the panhandle is lock your doors territory. Outside a few problems areas in Pensacola and Ft. Walton Beach, violent crime against strangers is quite rare, but property crime can be common even in some pretty affluent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola