Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,724 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are absolutely sick of living in Oklahoma. We had a bit of a windfall and decided to use the money to relocate. We will be moving to Pensacola in May 2015. It's just us and our 1 year old son who will be 2 at the time of the move. Everything I've researched about Pensacola seems perfect. I really like the colleges in the area. We are both planning on finishing our Associate's Degrees at PJC and then getting our Bachelor's at UWF. As far as a place to live, we already spoke with an apartment complex close by PCJ that said we could pay for a 7 month lease in full and that way we could rent BEFORE finding employment. We will have enough money for the full lease, the move, several months of utilities and car payments and about $4000 left over. We will look for a job before we move, of course, but if we have to we'll move first and look for a job once we're there. That is really scary to me, but scarier still is being stuck in Oklahoma. This is our chance to get out and we're taking it. Any suggestions on finding a job before we move?

My husband is an EMT-B. He will transfer his license to Florida before we move. I am a CNA and will do the same. Are there jobs available in Pensacola for EMT's and CNA's? What's the general job market like?

Also, the apartment we talked to is in Northeast Pensacola by the bay. Is that a good area?

I've read the bad stuff on here already; super religious (that's ok, I was raised in the bible belt so I'm used to it), hot weather (I'm from Texas, home of the 120 degree summer), low income (we don't make much above that ourselves, at least until we finish school). Can someone tell me the good about Pensacola?

Thanks for any and all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 04:48 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Your husband would need to apply with Escambia County EMS. It covers the whole county so he could end up working up in Century as well. My friend is a paramedic and worked down there years ago.

Emergency Medical Services | Escambia County, Florida

I don't know how much touring around Pcola you've done already, but I can tell you that much of the city is pretty run down and ghetto looking. I'm not saying there aren't any decent parts, but just don't be shocked when you see the bad.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 08-21-2014 at 04:57 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,852 times
I would really recommend the Pace (Santa Rosa County) area for living, especially since you will be raising a family. The public schools in Pensacola are horrible, but Santa Rosa schools are great. Pace is also convenient to UWF. Northeast Pensacola is a good area, but the housing will be more expensive because of it. You will get more bang for your buck if you are willing to drive a little further and go into Pace. I would also really reccomend the Garcon Point area (still Santa Rosa County) if you're willing to go even more remote. It's still a great area, but less convenient for shopping. Pace has grocery stores and some shopping, while Garcon Point has only a few gas stations and a McDonalds. But the interstate is very convenient, and you can be in town (in Pensacola or Pace) shopping in 10-20 minutes, depending on where you're going. PJC would be about 15-20 minutes. The housing out here is dirt cheap. Garcon Point is technically a part of Milton, but nobody really thinks of this part of the city as Milton, and you are not as far away from Pensacola as most of Milton is.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Your husband would need to apply with Escambia County EMS. It covers the whole county so he could end up working up in Century as well. My friend is a paramedic and worked down there years ago.

Emergency Medical Services | Escambia County, Florida

I don't know how much touring around Pcola you've done already, but I can tell you that much of the city is pretty run down and ghetto looking. I'm not saying there aren't any decent parts, but just don't be shocked when you see the bad.
I looked on their site and it says they are hiring Paramedics, but no openings for EMT-Basics, which is what my husband does. Are there any ambulance companies in Pensacola?

Old 08-21-2014, 01:52 PM

34 posts, read 124,473 times
The good about Pensacola ain't good. The good is GREAT! That is the Gulf, the beaches, the bay, the rivers and the tributaries. If you like water sports, boating & fishing... it's great here.

Oh yeah, almost forgot... THE SEAFOOD!

Old 08-21-2014, 05:14 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipsterElephant View Post
I looked on their site and it says they are hiring Paramedics, but no openings for EMT-Basics, which is what my husband does. Are there any ambulance companies in Pensacola?
I sent you a DM.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM

52 posts, read 79,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by where.to.go View Post
I would really recommend the Pace (Santa Rosa County) area for living, especially since you will be raising a family. The public schools in Pensacola are horrible, but Santa Rosa schools are great. Pace is also convenient to UWF. Northeast Pensacola is a good area, but the housing will be more expensive because of it. You will get more bang for your buck if you are willing to drive a little further and go into Pace. I would also really reccomend the Garcon Point area (still Santa Rosa County) if you're willing to go even more remote. It's still a great area, but less convenient for shopping. Pace has grocery stores and some shopping, while Garcon Point has only a few gas stations and a McDonalds. But the interstate is very convenient, and you can be in town (in Pensacola or Pace) shopping in 10-20 minutes, depending on where you're going. PJC would be about 15-20 minutes. The housing out here is dirt cheap. Garcon Point is technically a part of Milton, but nobody really thinks of this part of the city as Milton, and you are not as far away from Pensacola as most of Milton is.

Are there any apartment complexes in Garcon Point? About how far would that be from downtown Pensacola? Would I be able to get on 10 quickly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola