Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:17 AM

27 posts, read 37,135 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have long wanted to move back near the ocean. We've considered a lot of areas and it seems like the Florida panhandle would be perfect. We're from north Texas and completely sick of the summers here that are over 100 degrees for days on end. Presently, we live 20 miles from the nearest small town so we're out in the middle of nowhere. We want to move closer to civilization without having the horrendous traffic problems and would give us the opportunity to be near medical facilities, shopping, etc. Years ago we lived in Florida (WPB and Cocoa) so we're aware of the humidity.

Can anyone offer ideas/suggestions on places in the greater Pensacola area to live? play? explore? hike? We'll rent a house at first to get a feel for everything. We have a trip planned for the middle of May to get a feel for everything. Please offer some ideas on areas to explore and what/where to avoid. I've done a lot of reading on the area but there's nothing quite like hearing it from residents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Pensacola itself is not a very attractive place to live, much of it is very trashy/ghetto looking with high crime (this applies to much of Escambia County). If you want to be near P'cola I'd say look at the Pace area in Santa Rosa County. I also recommend looking a little farther west at Daphne or Fairhope in Alabama.

Summer temps in this area are very hot and humid, so I'm not sure if it'll feel any better to you, it may be worse.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:03 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
And I consider Pace to be charmless suburban sprawl hell. (At least Milton/Bagdad has some non-tract housing options. if you must do north Santa Rose County ) For Pensacola, I like several areas east of I-110 like East Hill (lovely historic district) Cordova Park, Scenic Heights, Etc.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the thoughts & suggestions. We like the panhandle because it is a little cooler than central or south Florida and more laid back. Pensacola seemed a logical area because of its location, proximity to the beaches, real estate costs and some on here had said it was fairly cosmopolitan. We just want to be near the water in a reasonably priced area that has shopping, medical care and places to explore. The tax structure in Florida is much more friendly to retirees than AL, MS, or GA. Any other places come to mind????

Old 03-29-2015, 06:38 PM

22 posts, read 46,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
My husband and I have long wanted to move back near the ocean. We want to move closer to civilization without having the horrendous traffic problems and would give us the opportunity to be near medical facilities, shopping...

live?
play?
explore?
hike?

We'll rent a house at first to get a feel for everything. We have a trip planned for the middle of May to get a feel for everything. Please offer some ideas on areas to explore and what/where to avoid. I've done a lot of reading on the area but there's nothing quite like hearing it from residents. Thanks!
Rent- what price range, House, Condo, Apt?

The 2 places I recommend are

Downtown / Baymarc including the neighbors of

Seville
Aragon Court
St.Joe
Bayfront
Carlton Palms
Old East Hill
East Hill

Downtown Pensacola manages to maintain a laid-back Florida atmosphere and a historical charm. Homes built as early as the 1800s sit next to modern apartments, while restaurants, shops and coffee houses are spread throughout the district, which boasts a thriving arts and culture scene. Within Pensacola's downtown district are several neighborhoods and districts of significant interest to visitors. These areas include Belmont - known for its cultural diversity; Old East Hill - offering tree-lined streets and historical homes; SOGO - one of the most popular places to eat in Pensacola; Waterfront - a stone's throw from the bay; and Pensacola's Seville Historic District - featuring Spanish brick houses, Victorian-era mansions, French-style balconies and the oldest church in the state with a new ball park. It is an up and coming little city downtown.

And

Perdido Key 32507

Perdido Key is a 247-acre / 100 hectare recreation area, which acts as a barrier and protects mainland Pensacola from strong winds and waves, while also providing its residents with a nearby paradise waiting to be explored. This huge sand island area offers visitors in Pensacola deserted white sandy beaches, excellent fishing, safe swimming areas and picnicking facilities, and is easily accessed from the mainland.

Sirric

Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 AM

Thanks, Sirric, for the great information. We've never lived in a "downtown" area & that might be fun for a change. We lived in the Dallas Metroplex for years before moving out here in the country. Both are great & both have their drawbacks. Guess we're starting to miss civilization a little out here.

We're are interested in renting for at least a year and hoping to pay no more than $1,200/month. We have two dogs so a house works better for us - plus that eases us back into civilization slower than an apt. would.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 AM

22 posts, read 46,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlmJon View Post
Thanks, Sirric, for the great information. We've never lived in a "downtown" area & that might be fun for a change. We lived in the Dallas Metroplex for years before moving out here in the country. Both are great & both have their drawbacks. Guess we're starting to miss civilization a little out here.

We're are interested in renting for at least a year and hoping to pay no more than $1,200/month. We have two dogs so a house works better for us - plus that eases us back into civilization slower than an apt. would.
No luck finding a place for you downtown, but here is a listing that may be right for you.

Rental Listings - 1 Rentals | Zillow

Search around this site and see what is available.

Good luck

Old 03-31-2015, 05:55 AM

Wow, thanks for looking for me! This is certainly the idea we had in mind. I'll have to put together a list for when we get down there in May to look around.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,496 times
Pensacola is not one of the top ranked areas in Florida to live but if you like city life it is great.
I am trying to rent a condo indefinitely in Destine Florida but my dilemma is that there are none available for permanent rental. The breezes off of the Gulf tend to make this location cooler and more attractive but maybe you don't like the beach that much. Because Texas and Florida are near the same latitude, the year around temperature is not that different. The differences are seen in the breezes and proximity to the water.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdruley View Post
Pensacola is not one of the top ranked areas in Florida to live but if you like city life it is great.
I am trying to rent a condo indefinitely in Destine Florida but my dilemma is that there are none available for permanent rental. The breezes off of the Gulf tend to make this location cooler and more attractive but maybe you don't like the beach that much. Because Texas and Florida are near the same latitude, the year around temperature is not that different. The differences are seen in the breezes and proximity to the water.
It's not that I like city life, I like being "near" the amenities of the cities. I much prefer the suburbs (even the country). The ocean is THE primary reason we're considering moving to the panhandle BUT I don't want to be right on the beach when the next hurricane hits. Where we live now has days on end in the summer that are over 100 degrees, then it drops to the high 90's till October. I'm done with that kind of heat (from late May until October).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola