Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

A bit about me - I'm a single woman of 45 with no family. I'm desperate to change my environment.

I currently live in Albuquerque, NM and am surrounded by poverty, crime, pollution, and horrible addiction - gambling, drugs, and alcohol abuse is everywhere. If gangs don't kill you, the police just might. I saw a man get shot and bleed out in front of me and have PTSD from the violence of that incidence and other things seen. Just a snapshot of what hellish conditions I'm coming from....

Please provide thoughts on what the crime conditions are like there given the context from where I'm coming from - I have to hope these issue are better there than here.

I broke my neck and back in 2011 and suffer chronic pain. Different doctors and online advice columns say it doesn't matter where you live - that your body acclimates to the environment you live in, but I'm worried my pain will be worse if I moved somewhere cold and wet like Seattle, Portland or back to Vermont where I used to live.

Any thoughts on how I might fare in the warm, wet environment from you or someone you know suffering from chronic pain and/or RA and other conditions?

I'm on a fentanyl patch and have oxy for breakthru pain. I've never had a problem getting pain scripts filled (from my primary care doctor) since the accident in 2011. Pain doctors tell me with age, pain will increase and there aren't other procedural options to help with the pain. I'm very concerned about threads on websites I've found about Florida and the inability to get people that seriously need pain help their medications because of the state's hard policies. I've read that pharmacies simply won't fill scripts even if you have them and have medical records proving you aren't drug seeking. I can't imagine it would be worse than here (it IS the Breaking Bad state for a reason)...but I worry I won't get the help I need and of course, after so long, I'm dependent on these medications.

What's the story with this pain pill shortage and the refusal to fill pain scripts? Articles I've read seem to be a couple years old. Is it still as bad as what I've read?

Since the accident, I've been on disability and live on only $1000 per month. If I work over $700 a month I'll lose my medical Medicare benefits....well, that can't happen! Stats related to cost of living says I'll be a bit better off there but I have no friends or support there yet. Since the accident, I've usually just rented out a room from friends because I can't afford a place on my own. I also don't want to be forced to live in a ghetto area because of my situation - because that's exactly what I'm attempting to leave behind.

Does anyone have suggestions or knowledge about the help available to people with disabilities? The last thing I want to do is move and get myself in a worse situation than I'm in now. In most states, to receive benefits of any kind you have to become a resident, which usually takes up to six months so I'm worried I won't have any help for quite a while before they kick in and that's even if I qualify. On a related note, a friend of a friend here in NM came from Florida because we have more services for the homeless here but it seemed to just enable her addictions more.

I would appreciate any advice for areas to look for nice places to live or which neighborhoods or close locations to check out.... like Gulf Breeze or Navarre that I've seen referenced in previous posts. Schools and property tax, etc info isn't needed...I intend to spend most of my time volunteering or at the many beaches. I also see notes on tolls needed to pay to get to the beach areas.

I'd love to hear about interesting places to visit for free - it can be in the bay areas or on the oceanfront. I also want to live a life of purpose and would love to volunteer my time - preferable around a wildlife sanctuary, zoo, aquarium, local no-kill shelter, etc....so any help into places like these are greatly appreciated. I can search a lot online but best info always comes from locals.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 1,386 times
When I first got to Florida, an old Army friend of mine was eager to help me set up house. First year here was in Clearwater. Too much hustle and bustle for me. Went to the local library and looked for a book listing "small towns in Florida." The City of Gulf Breeze was on the first page. When my lease was up, I packed up myself and two young children. I've never left. The schools are real good and highly rated for good education. It's a real decent town that you have to get to by crossing a 3 mile water bridge from Pensacola. Beautiful. Pensacola Beach is just a small beach bridge away. White sand and turquoise water. Heading away from the beach while cruising through Gulf Breeze, is Hwy 98. Down that path we have a National Seashore. I too, lived a year in Albuquerque with a friend of mine from high school. We also have a privately owned Zoo. It's really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola