Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 7,723 times

Advertisements

We were recently in the Pensacola area (a bit north out of the city) and noticed that everybody keeps their blinds or curtains completely closed all day. I can understand if you have sunlight hitting that side of the house but this was happening when there was/would be no sunlight hitting certain sides of the house. Just curious as to why?

We were taking a look with the view of possibly retiring to that area. The June grass was a big turnoff unfortunately and with the other algae issues in other areas of the state, it seems like tourism and retirement interest will wane for now. It's so unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 03:31 AM

12 posts, read 23,601 times
Very likely it was people that weren't home. If they're at work, why would they leave the curtains open? It is a relatively high crime area (Pensacola area in general) especially for something you make too easy/interesting. Or these were just rooms they weren't in if they were home. Then there is the air conditioning issue especially if they were not home, closed curtains give more insulation. ...but, my money is on the first reason.

Personal opinion? I wouldn't recommend retiring in the area except maybe Gulf Breeze or the island....but even that is not what it used to be and it more polluted as well as touristy rather than home-like.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:24 PM

123 posts, read 333,837 times
Two other reasons are sun fade of your furniture and heat as it keeps down the cost of air conditioning.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:44 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I used to live in Italy. You could spot an American house or apt. We kept our windows and shutters open all day and closed them at night. Italians do the reverse. Keeps the hot air out during the day and allows cool air in at night.

I have plantation shutters to allow for light flow, but restrict the sun directly coming in, which as noted above helps with sun damage and AC costs.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 AM

22 posts, read 28,019 times
I live in FL and in CA, and I think it's just a matter of habit, or sometimes just laziness...I simply can't be sure. Having said that, it's perhaps foolish to leave blinds/drapes/shutters wide open if you're, say, out of town...maybe not so much if you're running to the market for a gallon of milk.

It also depends on the orientation of the house to the sun travel. If you're facing west in a blistering August sun with the windows wide open, you might be nutty, or you might not care because of the openness created by a light-filled big room for instance.

Additionally, some of the newer window types of materials used, many of them are still pretty energy efficient and block UV, and a LOT of heat.....plus others are even hurricane safe, filmed, tinted, gased, etc.

I don't like llving in a dark box at any time. Living in a high tech multi highrise, you don't even have to shut any blinds way arove street level!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:08 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
I live in Naples. I keep my blinds closed, especially in the Summer, to keep the sun out, heating up the inside of our home, and thereby using more AC.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:28 AM

22 posts, read 28,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I live in Naples. I keep my blinds closed, especially in the Summer, to keep the sun out, heating up the inside of our home, and thereby using more AC.
These days, that's why people install high tech windows, AND simply apply some very very good film from 3M and Lumar. This stuff works better than blinds or roller shades and you can still SEE out, but tough to see clearly in. Products have evolved unbelievably so, especially window construction.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Definitely. We saw a big drop in energy use during heating/cooling months when we replaced the original windows in our house with low-e (energy efficient) impact glass.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:42 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Maybe they are walking around naked and don't want people peering in... People tend to like privacy

Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
It' likely to keep the heat out. During the hot summer months in Florida, even the windows that aren't in the sun get hot or at least warm. Some of the windows got sun earlier but stayed hot even when the sun moved away and these windows stay warm for several hours. Windows that are in total shade still get warm and this warmth will make the room hotter and cause the AC to run longer. You can touch the interior of the window to feel the warmth/heat. You would be surprised how warm they get even when they aren't in full sun.

Not everybody is going to go out and buy new high tech windows or window film when all they have to do is close the shades/blinds during the day to keep the heat out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola