Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 15,710 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in the area and we are relocating to Gulf Breeze. My husband will be moving there first and renting an apartment with a short term lease, and we will follow on as soon as our home sells and we will rent there until we find a home to buy.

I have found a few apartments to rent, and wondered if anyone has opinions about the Fairpointe or Greystone Apartments. Is the area okay for kids? The Fairpointe would be our first choice since it is closest to Oriole Beach Elementary, but I have not been there physically, so I would love to here your opinion on either of those places or even suggestions from those of you who know the area well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 11:10 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
Definitely go with Fairpointe. The apartments are located within a community called Tiger Point and it is a good area for kids. Greystone is down the highway (as you'll hear everyone say when referring to Hwy 98) and almost in Navarre. Note: I haven't been inside either complex but I know the area well.

When shopping for a house, keep in mind that both Oriole Beach and Gulf Breeze Elementary are great schools. Personally, I would live in Gulf Breeze Proper (the incorporated part of the City) where your kids can walk/bike to school and after-school activities. If you need a realtor recommendation I would be happy to send you a private message. She is a life-long Breezer and knows everything about the area.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:07 PM

7 posts, read 15,710 times
Default Thank you, that puts my mind at ease...

@AustinTraveler I found Fairpointe on-line and wondered how it would be for kids until we buy our home. That put my mind at ease for sure when you said you approve of the area. I have spoken to one of the Managers there and she seemed pretty nice and was very informative. While I have been to the area, it was for vacation, so I didn't have any point of reference.

I have been reading alot about the difference between Gulf Breeze proper as well, so thank you for confirming that it is the better of the two. I do have a realtor that we have been working with since April that has been great so far. I'll message you privately, maybe your friend knows him.

What do you think of the builder - Samuel Stevens and Associates? I came across his work when I stumbled on The Waters community which I believe is still new? What are your thoughts on that area and does it fall within the Gulf Breeze Proper boundries? I have been scouring MLS listings.

Any opinions on builders that we should stay away from if we decide to build? I would love to hear your thoughts on who we should consider for homes with new/newer construction. We are looking within the $300k - $400k which seems well within or above the median average. I'm not thrilled about having to sign a short term lease, even just for 7 months, but I don't want to buy a house, just because we need to settle.

My husband has it in his head that he would like to stay North of 98 because of any storms we might have. I keep telling him, does a few city blocks really make that much of a difference when a storm hits anyways?

I'm assuming we will pay for flood/hurricane insurance no matter where we are there. Thankfully, my husband;s VA Disability rating and the tax exemption we get will offset the fact that we will have to buy that insurance.

If you or your real estate friend has any resources on short term lease options in the Oriole Beach Elementary school district, I would definitely entertain them as an option. Thankfully we live in a sellers market and homes in our neighborhood don't stay on the market for more thank a few weeks to a month. This is why it kills me to have to sign a 7 month lease (which is what is considered a short term lease in Gulf Breeze? What happend to 6 months leases (not that a lease even a month shorter would serve us well).

Last edited by islandgirlfromca; 08-08-2017 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: add tag

Old 08-09-2017, 11:00 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,088 times
I looked up The Waters and it is definitely not in Gulf Breeze Proper. To clarify what encompasses the city limits (Proper), see this map:

Gulf Breeze, Florida Zip Code Boundary Map (FL)

Zip code is 32561. It is 32563 for the unincorporated parts. Nothing wrong with living "down the highway". I just prefer the walk-ability of Proper. Plus the elementary, middle and high schools are all right next to each other. A lot of the homes in Proper are not new though so that may affect your decision.

Flooding can happen anywhere so yes, be prepared.

Sorry, can't help with builders as I haven't lived there for quite a few years. But, I visit often as my family lives there. You might take out an ad in Gulf Breeze News and see if anyone is willing to rent on a short-term basis. But, I definitely think you are making the right decision to rent before buying. You really need to be there to figure out what area is best. Keep in mind that traffic can be awful, especially when everyone is going out to the beach. Also, the Bay Bridge from Pensacola to Gulf Breeze is being replaced.

If your husband is commuting into Pensacola keep that in mind. Buying in a community like The Waters will add significant time to his commute.

I sent you a private message regarding the realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
View detailed profiles of: