Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 04:39 PM

599 posts, read 276,222 times

Advertisements

We will be making our second trip to the Pensacola area later this month to do more exploring in advance of relocating sometime next year after I retire. We're looking at SFH, new or resale in a subdivision (preferably no HOA) or up to one acre lot, $230-275k, 3-4 br, 2-3 bath, 2300+ sf. I've seen plenty online that fit our needs. Just need to settle on a location.

A short backstory: In May, we stayed in Fort Walton Beach and did quite a bit of road work, heading east toward Destin along rt98 to Santa Rosa Beach, then up rt331 to rt20 into Freeport. We visited Hammock Bay, a very attractive community, but probably too remote for us (although access to the Gulf on improved rt331 seemed like it would be great). We then continued west on 20 to Niceville. That was a very enjoyable drive, and we stopped for dinner in Niceville. We weren't there long enough to form an opinion, and soon we were on our way toward Milton along rt85, with a drive-by of Crestview. The little we saw of CV from the car left us underwhelmed. On our way to the airport for our flight home, we had mapped a couple possibilities near Catonment, and came away wanting to see more. The takeaway from our May trip was we "penciled in" the greater Milton/Pace/Cantonment to the list.

Our thinking at the moment is we'd like to be closer to Pensacola, with the furthest east point being Defuniak Springs, and most likely north of I-10. I know that's a 90+ mile distance, but here are some things I'd like your feedback on:

1) Although we didn't visit Defuniak Springs or Crestview, give us reasons we should consider them.
2) Niceville is well south of I-10, but should it be on our list? Is flooding a concern there?
3) Heading north from Cantonment toward Jay on Chumuckla Hwy (rt197) looks to be rural and mostly farmland. Any thoughts on that area - both current and looking into the crystal ball? Don't ask me why - but that area has my interest.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Inspector1489; 09-02-2017 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: sp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Keep in mind that Cantonment is in Escambia County, while Milton and Pace are in Santa Rosa County. A lot of people with children are moving to Santa Rosa County because it's perceived that the schools are better, and real estate prices in SR County reflect that. The Chumuckla Hwy area north of Pace is very desirable though, when land comes up for sale it gets snatched up quick.

I recommend also looking around the Gonzalez area around West Kingsfield Rd, near Ransom Middle School and Tate HS. There are some houses in that area with larger lots, and it's very convenient to shopping on Nine Mile Rd.

You'll find that as you gets closer to the coast in areas like Niceville and FWB, the soil is very sandy and lawns often don't look so great... it gives it sort of a barren look. As you get about 20 miles inland the soil has a little more clay in it and holds more moisture.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Keep in mind that Cantonment is in Escambia County, while Milton and Pace are in Santa Rosa County. A lot of people with children are moving to Santa Rosa County because it's perceived that the schools are better, and real estate prices in SR County reflect that. The Chumuckla Hwy area north of Pace is very desirable though, when land comes up for sale it gets snatched up quick.

I recommend also looking around the Gonzalez area around West Kingsfield Rd, near Ransom Middle School and Tate HS. There are some houses in that area with larger lots, and it's very convenient to shopping on Nine Mile Rd.

You'll find that as you gets closer to the coast in areas like Niceville and FWB, the soil is very sandy and lawns often don't look so great... it gives it sort of a barren look. As you get about 20 miles inland the soil has a little more clay in it and holds more moisture.

Thank you southernnaturelover. We appreciate your feedback.

Old 09-18-2017, 03:58 PM

123 posts, read 333,837 times
Unfortunately, most of the newer subdivisions that are most desirable has HOA's so if that's a true limiting factor then that's a problem. If it's not that much of a problem then I would look in Pace along Chumuckla Hwy, Woodbine and up Quintette Road. There's an intersection where all 3 roads come together called 5 points where Publix is building a new grocery store where a large number of subdivisions exist that might meet your needs. At lease two are gated but most are not. Not to say there are not equally nice area's to purchase a home but I bought a nice all brick home in the area I mentioned and we love it here. Still a bit rural but at the same time my wife can be at the mall in 25 minutes or less. As Southernnaturelover said, people are attracted to Pace because of the schools but as a retiree we still think it's great place to live.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:26 PM

HOA is not a dealbreaker, but a consideration. It would be a cost/benefit issue.
The 5 points area you mentioned sounds very promising. We had visited an area along Anderson Rd. in Milton on our last visit, and the new Publix would be a little shorter drive than to the one in Pace on 90. And when you say the "mall" - you mean Pensacola? Wifey can't be too far from a Kohls!!
We'll be down next week. Order up some calm weather for us if you would.
Thanks for your input moondoggy.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM

From southernnaturelover: I recommend also looking around the Gonzalez area around West Kingsfield Rd, near Ransom Middle School and Tate HS. There are some houses in that area with larger lots, and it's very convenient to shopping on Nine Mile Rd.

I just mapped this area, and I recall driving through an established subdivision named Windsong over that way that we really liked. Many beautiful, mature trees along Sundance Ln. and nicely kept homes in a modest sized development. We will definitely look more closely around that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola