Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,002 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Oklahoma. We are in our 40’s, our children are grown and off to college and we want to move to the beach. We love boating, fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. We also enjoy being outside, farmers markets and such! We have been dreaming of moving to the Gulf Coast for years and have decided it’s time! We’ve vacationed in Gulf Shores, Alabama for years and have visited Pensacola to Panama City Beach. I love the beaches in all of these areas! I would like to be in more of a community vs a touristy spot and a relatively safe location. I hear such negative comments about Pensacola, is it really that bad? We are Christians, conservative and proudly come from a military background. (Just wanted to put that out there because those are some of the first comments I have seen on other threads!!) I would love to hear insight from locals/residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 05:29 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
Navarre Beach may be a good option for you to look into. Its just east of Pensacola probably 20-25 miles or so. I built and lived in 3 house in Navarre and its my favorite place. Laid back beach. We did go into Pensacola for recreational activities other than the beach.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:07 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Have you looked into jobs?

Old 10-29-2017, 07:33 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,872,864 times
Military,christian and conservative......you will definitely feel welcome and find friends in that area.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:40 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
I think you would like Tallahassee better, its a short drive to the coast and a better city.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Pensacola is a really nice place with an interesting, historic downtown area, outstanding beach, large military presence in the area with all the military amenities, Gulf Coast/Cajun influenced local culture, outstanding seafood, and a comparatively small tourist footprint. It also offers relatively close proximity to Mobile, and a number of nice beaches. It's our second home and we love it.

You also don't have to put up with an excessive number of politicos running around mucking things up. You will get tired of injury lawyer billboards though.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
The entire coastline of Florida is beaches! -- Conservative, military Christians can likewise find common ground with like-minded individuals throughout Florida. Anywhere in Florida is warmer than anywhere in Oklahoma ... however, you will find that the Florida Panhandle is significantly cooler in the winter than other parts of Florida (and actually more like Alabama when it comes to weather).

Florida tourist traffic and local conditions are somewhat of a paradox. More tourists flock to more desirable areas.

We've lived in (and loved) three beach areas and one interior area of Florida over the past 45-years (Tampa, Kissimmee, Satellite Beach and now Destin). It's much larger (further from Miami to the Panhandle) than most realize and thus, there is a great deal of diversity throughout Florida. I am neither encouraging or discouraging your consideration of Pensacola, but, rather suggesting that a few summer vacations in Gulf Breeze, do not really provide the flavor of Florida.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:27 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The entire coastline of Florida is beaches! -- Conservative, military Christians can likewise find common ground with like-minded individuals throughout Florida. Anywhere in Florida is warmer than anywhere in Oklahoma ... however, you will find that the Florida Panhandle is significantly cooler in the winter than other parts of Florida (and actually more like Alabama when it comes to weather).

Florida tourist traffic and local conditions are somewhat of a paradox. More tourists flock to more desirable areas.

We've lived in (and loved) three beach areas and one interior area of Florida over the past 45-years (Tampa, Kissimmee, Satellite Beach and now Destin). It's much larger (further from Miami to the Panhandle) than most realize and thus, there is a great deal of diversity throughout Florida. I am neither encouraging or discouraging your consideration of Pensacola, but, rather suggesting that a few summer vacations in Gulf Breeze, do not really provide the flavor of Florida.
They don't provide the flavor of lower Florida, but especially the Atlantic side of that ... is certainly not for everyone, and the attributes you mentioned are seriously lacking along much of that coastline. That is more attractive to someone from Brooklyn perhaps, but not necessarily to most of the rest of the country. It is definitely warmer in winter in Orlando than it is in Pensacola, but the sweltering hot summers also last a lot longer there and are more severe in nature, and winters in the Panhandle, as well as in Mobile, Biloxi, and New Orleans are quite tolerable and relatively short lived.

I have close relatives in Daytona, as well as in the northern Miami suburbs (Lauderdale) and I definitely wouldn't trade places with any of them. I'm not suggesting that there are no negatives here... you find those anywhere, but this is a very desirable place to live. I lived for a time in Lawton, OK and the climate is definitely more agreeable here, including the summer.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:13 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannhill View Post
My husband and I currently live in Oklahoma. We are in our 40’s, our children are grown and off to college and we want to move to the beach. We love boating, fishing, snorkeling, kayaking, etc. We also enjoy being outside, farmers markets and such! We have been dreaming of moving to the Gulf Coast for years and have decided it’s time! We’ve vacationed in Gulf Shores, Alabama for years and have visited Pensacola to Panama City Beach. I love the beaches in all of these areas! I would like to be in more of a community vs a touristy spot and a relatively safe location. I hear such negative comments about Pensacola, is it really that bad? We are Christians, conservative and proudly come from a military background. (Just wanted to put that out there because those are some of the first comments I have seen on other threads!!) I would love to hear insight from locals/residents.
While I do not live in Pensacola, my wife and I frequent the area numerous times of year. A very good friend lives on Perdido Key, a bit to the west of Pensacola proper (but still a Pensacola address). There is a nearby naval air base (the Blue Angels performing team is based there), so there are many military folks and families in the area. It is a very laid back place, which is far less hectic than life here in Atlanta. And, during my many drives in the locale, I have seen many churches.

We really love the area and plan to retire there in the coming few years. Great beaches, good restaurants, terrific boating in the intercostal and bay waters, nice folks.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 PM

296 posts, read 528,135 times
I am in the same situation , I am looking to relocate to the Pensacola / Talahassee area. Wondering how the housing market is and or rent.
I am also a Paramedic so I would be looking for 911 with a county system to work in.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola