Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:19 PM

1,991 posts, read 889,657 times

Advertisements

So you got a ticket or warning for window tint. BFD! Grow up kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,617,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
I visited Pensacola in August. I'm a tourist to many, many places and actually placed Pensacola on my list. Well, my visit went sound when everyone's mood was killing by the police harassing us about the tint on the windows of my OUT-OF-STATE vehicle...Well, I became suspicious that Pensacola might be militant, pushes its police force to drive revenue as opposed to protect and serve, and that it despises outsiders.
I never did drop the issue.

I asked locals about the police presence and they said that there were occasions in which they were stopped for trivial reasons or none at all...Well, after getting affirmation from them, I researched and learned that they are guilty of doing things such as breaking-and-entering through folk's windows without search warrants and other grimy things...Tell the TRUTH:

If Pensacola another money-grubbing town that wants to denigrate and push out the poor and welcome the elite who bring more tax dollars and economic growth? Is Pensacola the type of place to strong-arm money out of tourists because they care more about the dollar than their reputation???
What is the REAL Pensacola? Am I mistaken? If so, how?
I am from Arizona but lived and worked in the Florida Panhandle for about 13 years until 2017. I moved
back to AZ almost a year ago. I empathize with the bad experience with the cops about the tinted window.

At the aggregate level, I have not had major problems with "racial profiling" or other police harassment
despite being Native American with a brown complexion. Out west in AZ, the "Deep South" was often
portrayed as "KKK" country in the media. But in real-life, harsh blatant racism was rare in the FL
Panhandle in my experience. It can definitely happen, and there are extremists in the area. But in my
experience they are "far-and-few" in between. For example, I attended a 5k race in the Panhandle once
and most of the people were very friendly and had a good time. There was a parade after the race.
I noticed a truck with a small group of KKK members parading a Confederate flag. They were
surrounded by cops and obviously did not have a large following. Most people seemed to be avoiding them.
The KKK actually seemed "ostracized" in the heart of the "Deep South". That was my experience.
Pensacola was a mellow southern Gulf Coast beach town. It was not really a center of extremism.

However, subtle racism is still common. As for police, most of my experiences were positive. They never
aggressively racial-profiled me despite my ethnicity. It did happen once but I saw that guy as a "bad apple".
I had a blonde southern girlfriend, and we were on a date at Starbucks. We were sitting at a
table oustide in broad daylight of the late afternoon before dusk. This white sheriff kept staring at us.
I noticed him but my girlfriend did not. He stopped and stared as we sat there. Then he went inside
but stood close by the glass door and kept staring at us. Then he walked back to his police car and
drove to a closer parking spot right in front of us and continued to just stare at us. It was bizarre.
No one else noticed though - just me. There was a large crowd of white customers all around us but
he singled me out and just kept staring like there was a crime happening. We were simply on a casual
late afternoon date at "Starbucks" (LOL). Eventually, he drove off, but I was really uncomfortable with it.

The problem is that I can't "prove" any malice. The skeptics will just dismiss the behavior above, but I
found that white sheriff to be a bigot who did not like to see a big brown Native American with a petite
blonde white girlfriend of the south. I am pretty confident body language experts would agree.
So racism is still present - just not like in huge numbers of the past. But when it appears, it can be obvious.

To be fair, that cop was a "bad apple" in my opinion. I do not believe the entire police force for every county
of the FL Panhandle is bigoted like he was. I met a Florida state trooper on a flight once and had a great conversation.
The guy was not bigoted, and I actually enjoyed the conversation on that long flight. A lot of Florida cops are nice people.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:05 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStation46 View Post
Interesting. I always heard it was a “redneck riveria” but never took that as a bad term , more like homage to blue collar values. Never been there but I moving to SW Florida soon and would be willing to check out the beaches statying at good hotel i.e Marriott
Pensacola is more ghetto than redneck. Now if you go up towards Molino you’ll find real rednecks.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 AM

18,929 posts, read 43,241,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patois View Post
I visited Pensacola in August. I'm a tourist to many, many places and actually placed Pensacola on my list. Well, my visit went sound when everyone's mood was killing by the police harassing us about the tint on the windows of my OUT-OF-STATE vehicle...Well, I became suspicious that Pensacola might be militant, pushes its police force to drive revenue as opposed to protect and serve, and that it despises outsiders.
I never did drop the issue.

I asked locals about the police presence and they said that there were occasions in which they were stopped for trivial reasons or none at all...Well, after getting affirmation from them, I researched and learned that they are guilty of doing things such as breaking-and-entering through folk's windows without search warrants and other grimy things...Tell the TRUTH:

If Pensacola another money-grubbing town that wants to denigrate and push out the poor and welcome the elite who bring more tax dollars and economic growth? Is Pensacola the type of place to strong-arm money out of tourists because they care more about the dollar than their reputation???
What is the REAL Pensacola? Am I mistaken? If so, how?
Was this actually Pensacola PD or the Escambia Co sheriffs dept? Pensacola’s city limits are very small, and many people think they are *in* Pensacola when really they’re not.

FWIW, I have dark 20% tint on my truck windows and have never been pulled over.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,588,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Agreed.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:01 PM

160 posts, read 173,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
It's being stopped and harassed knowing an out of state vehicle doesn't have to comply with the lame laws that Florida vehicles do. The cop knew better ...take responsibility for scandalous cops in your area.

Last edited by BunkieFam; 01-20-2018 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Autospell messed me up

Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Agreed.
Please take time to find out how much tickets cost. It's the issue of being profiled.that went right over your head, but what do you know, being a friend of the Redneck Riviera

Old 01-20-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Was this actually Pensacola PD or the Escambia Co sheriffs dept? Pensacola’s city limits are very small, and many people think they are *in* Pensacola when really they’re not.

FWIW, I have dark 20% tint on my truck windows and have never been pulled over.
My visor is longer than the AS1 LINE AND is 5%

Old 01-20-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkieFam View Post
Please take time to find out how much tickets cost. It's the issue of being profiled.that went right over your head, but what do you know, being a friend of the Redneck Riviera
Dealing with traffic police is part of driving on public roads. Profiled? Not a single part of the post suggests that.

Why do I need to find out what a ticket costs? 1Patio didnt post anything about getting a ticket.
I've dealt with countless municipal departments over possible safety infractions, it's a common part of driving through many states.
California has similar tint regulations as well as a "windshield visor tint" size limit.

I don't know what the redneck riviera is, and I am not a resident of florida.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkieFam View Post
It's being stopped and harassed knowing an out of state vehicle doesn't have to comply with the lame laws that Florida vehicles do. The cop knew better ...take responsibility for scandalous cops in your area.
What "lame" law is that? Cali has strict tint laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola