Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 AM

42 posts, read 74,940 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We have explored the idea of relocating our family for the past few years. We have visited several times and just love the entire region. I have two employment opportunities -- one remote which lets me work from anywhere with limited travel, and one in Pensacola.

Depending on the job, we are looking at Gulf Breeze for the position IN Pcola and if I take the position for the company in a remote capacity, Watersound Origins (east Walton County).

Can someone familiar with the region give me pros/cons of raising a family in Gulf Breeze vs Watersound Origins? (For those not familiar, Watersound Origins is a planned St. Joe community north of 98 that is mostly year-round residents and prohibits short term rentals...so it absolutely more of a community with kids, community pool, sports courts, paths, lake access, fitness center, and is building tennis, an additional pool, etc spring 2019)

We need good schools and close proximity to sports facilities. I also want a sense of community and close proximity to an airport is kind of even with both close to Pensacola or PCB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:01 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,639 times
Walton county schools are not the best, but they are definitely growing as the population in South Walton County grows.
We had considered Watersound Origins, but dismissed it, at least while our daughter was still in school. We did see kids, but not nearly as many as you would think. They may not allow short term rentals, but we found many were second homes, so not fully occupied. This was about 4 years ago. Another issue was the distance to regular stores. I mean good clothes, hardware stores etc. You have to go to Panama City Beach (Pier Park area) or to Destin. Which in the summer isn't great options. So a quick trip up to get something isn't a thing.

Not sure about the sports facilities for kids, not much in Walton County, might depend on what sports they play. But things like dance studios for kids, gymnastics etc were limited or non existent when we looked.

And the depending on where you want to go, Pensacola and ECB airports are different, more flights out of P'cola. But if you just want to get to main hubs ECB works.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Schools are better in Gulf Breeze, but the prettier more livable area is definitely Walton County IMO. Would be a hard choice, because South Walton schools are not horrific, but not great either. You'll need to keep your kids clear of the whole laid back beachy hippy type stuff if you live in Walton County. I was in that district and if I had stayed, I'd have probably moved over to Niceville, but can't be 100% sure on that. I mean your kids will do well wherever if they have the proper motivation.

Man, that's a tough one. Maybe it comes down to which job you want to do.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You'll need to keep your kids clear of the whole laid back beachy hippy type stuff if you live in Walton County. I was in that district and if I had stayed, I'd have probably moved over to Niceville, but can't be 100% sure on that. I mean your kids will do well wherever if they have the proper motivation.

Man, that's a tough one. Maybe it comes down to which job you want to do.
Very true! Or the super rich kids. A friend who lives in S. Walton elected to send one daughter to Freeport HS to avoid a horrible cliche of girls with more money than sense.

We choose Niceville for similar reasons, no regrets.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
Do people still drive their kids from South Walton to Niceville High School?

Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,987,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Do people still drive their kids from South Walton to Niceville High School?
Some do. My old neighbors did that. They got a waiver of some sort, can't remember what it was.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 55,960 times
Defiantly Gulf Breeze, stay in proper, Tiger Point, watch sound side properties. Santa Rosa County has the best school in the region. Pensacola, stay east, west side is sketchy an confusing.
Oh Walton Co. Beautiful yes, I go there often, I'm in my 50's, no kids, very safe, over priced, high taxes, beach restrictions. ( sowal. com ) They are ruining it. The rich and the True Floridian we get along but the growth from Pensacola to PCB is unbelievable. I live in Pace now, after Ivan. Just watch #1 Flood Zone X is good. #2 taxes #3 insurance...
I will say again. Santa Rosa School. Santa Rosa County. Not Navarre though, its getting weird over there.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM

33 posts, read 26,344 times
Nwflgirl, I was thinking of temporarily relocating to Navarre. How is it getting weird?

Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
Some do. My old neighbors did that. They got a waiver of some sort, can't remember what it was.
Very difficult to cross county lines anymore. They have something called Controlled open enrollment. It filled up almost immediately for both Niceville Schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola