Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 07:14 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,233,142 times

Advertisements

Written offer forthcoming, it appears that we are heading to Pensacola. We are in our late 40s and the kids are grown. We currently live in the Albany, Ga area.

I've only been to Pensacola once and that was for the in-person interview. I like the small-town vibe with some bigger city amenities (the only big cit amenities that Albany has are crime and corruption) and the beach. I liked what I saw.

We are currently leaning towards Pace initially. But that may change. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 05:47 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Written offer forthcoming, it appears that we are heading to Pensacola. We are in our late 40s and the kids are grown. We currently live in the Albany, Ga area.

I've only been to Pensacola once and that was for the in-person interview. I like the small-town vibe with some bigger city amenities (the only big cit amenities that Albany has are crime and corruption) and the beach. I liked what I saw.

Hey Mad_Jasper! Funny coincidence - I grew up outside of Albany (about 30 minutes away) in rural Sumter Co. on the Lee Co. line. You're unfortunately right - Albany has really gone down hill. Looks like they are crawling back, but such a long way to go. Anyhow, after 35 years in Atlanta, we've moved to the Pensacola area. I think you'll like Pace a lot. We live on the Alabama side (Orange Beach) which we really like - close to Pensacola. However, while I've been there time a time a two, Pace seems to me to be a great spot.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:59 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,908,001 times
Quote:

Pace is basically a bedroom community for Pensacola. Lots of military and civilian DoD families. That area is a bit transient for my liking, but if you're only planning to rent there for a while to get a better feel of the area, it will be just fine.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hey Mad_Jasper! Funny coincidence - I grew up outside of Albany (about 30 minutes away) in rural Sumter Co. on the Lee Co. line. You're unfortunately right - Albany has really gone down hill. Looks like they are crawling back, but such a long way to go. Anyhow, after 35 years in Atlanta, we've moved to the Pensacola area. I think you'll like Pace a lot. We live on the Alabama side (Orange Beach) which we really like - close to Pensacola. However, while I've been there time a time a two, Pace seems to me to be a great spot.
My daughter attends GSW now! At least until this semester is over.

I was surprised at how tight the rental market is for 4 bedroom homes, but we found a nice place. Similar to our house and neighborhood. It's only about 20 - 25 minutes away from our new employers and UWF so I think it will be a good move for us. After we sell the house and get to know the area, we can buy or build at that point.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Pace is basically a bedroom community for Pensacola. Lots of military and civilian DoD families. That area is a bit transient for my liking, but if you're only planning to rent there for a while to get a better feel of the area, it will be just fine.
We did find a nice home and neighborhood similar to ours. We will be moving in later this month. I will be satisfied with renting for 1-3 years as we get to know the area.

Our kids are 20 and 21, so our family dynamics will likely change quite a bit between now and then. Ultimately, I'd like to be closer to the water.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:51 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
Quote:
We did find a nice home and neighborhood similar to ours. We will be moving in later this month. I will be satisfied with renting for 1-3 years as we get to know the area.

Our kids are 20 and 21, so our family dynamics will likely change quite a bit between now and then. Ultimately, I'd like to be closer to the water.
You won't want to be closer to the water when you start paying those insurance premiums.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:56 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
My daughter attends GSW now! At least until this semester is over.

I was surprised at how tight the rental market is for 4 bedroom homes, but we found a nice place. Similar to our house and neighborhood. It's only about 20 - 25 minutes away from our new employers and UWF so I think it will be a good move for us. After we sell the house and get to know the area, we can buy or build at that point.
Congratulations! I think you are really going to like it down here in this neck of the woods! We moved down here last April from Atlanta and haven't looked back.

Old 05-24-2020, 10:03 PM

Two-month update. We love it here. We love the beach. We have tans. Best decision we have ever made!

Old 05-27-2020, 01:13 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,723,864 times
Hope you feel the same way post pandemic! Traffic etc will change. Glad you like the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola