Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:33 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times

Advertisements

You could consider Texas. The state doesn't have a state income tax nor do they tax food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 03:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
True, but it actually provides better access to the bay etc. If boating is something you do. I have friends who live in Destin, but store their boat at a local Niceville Marina. Destin has limited space to launch a boat, and they said the main marina there is very expensive to store a boat. Their biggest issue was getting it done quickly and with fewer hassles (waiting in line, parking at launch point etc.) I have no idea about any of this, but just what I hear them talk about. They have huge boat, so it might be that.

Destin also does not currently have it's own high school, if that is a need. In the past Destin kids would waiver into Niceville vs their assigned school of FWB. That is now very difficult. The new school is being built or at least the facility is getting remodled into a school. Not sure of the timeline. But that will mean kids going to a new school with no established programs (band, football etc) if that is important to you.

Beware of flood insurance needs in Kelley Plantation and maybe Regatta bay as well. You will have to have an additional insurance called COBRA (Coastal Barrier Resources Act). You can't purchase a Federal Flood policy in a Cobra zone, so need private insurance. In 2014 that was estimated to run us about $12000 a year. Paying cash eliminates that need or owner financing. Just wasn't something we wanted to take on. We later found out that FHA or VA loans would not have been allowed with that property. Even with paying for the insurance. We did a VA loan, so backed out.

Be aware that Destin is basically one long main street or Hwy. All you do requires traveling that road, or the one back road that takes you to some places. Access to beaches isn't as great you would think either. There is limited public access and unless you are in a place with deeded beach access (i.e. most have short-term rentals) it can be a nightmare. We have a membership at the State Park and if you aren't there early in the am, it is a nightmare to get in and get parking.

One place that is a mix of long term and short term is Sandestin Resort. It sells at various price points, and some neighborhoods do not allow STRs.
Spot on. Excellent advice. I lived in Santa Rosa Beach and still own a place there. Schools can be very hit or miss. That kids can't automatically go to Niceville anymore should be considered. Traffic on 98 during the season is a crapshoot.

To the OP, there are a multitude of things to consider. I knew many WFH folks in there who had issues with the internet provider, Mediacom. Verify they are able to get you what you need.

Don't listen to the suggestions about Texas. Property taxes are sky high and the beaches don't compare.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:15 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
Yes, property taxes can be high because there's no state income tax. It also depends on where you live. The closer you live to a major city, the higher the property taxes are gonna be. My family lives in Tyler, Texas and property taxes are reasonable there. Texas car tags are affordable at $50 a year compared to Kansas where I have to pay $600-$800 on my auto tags due to my autos being new

Now about the beaches..it's true. They're not clear blue. They're muddy brown or green but the sea life there is unbelievable. When I went there as a kid, I would scoop a bucket of water and pour it into a glass or something and I would wait and see what came out. I often found the sea dragons or sea horses and other critters.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:46 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedH71 View Post
Yes, property taxes can be high because there's no state income tax. It also depends on where you live. The closer you live to a major city, the higher the property taxes are gonna be. My family lives in Tyler, Texas and property taxes are reasonable there. Texas car tags are affordable at $50 a year compared to Kansas where I have to pay $600-$800 on my auto tags due to my autos being new

Now about the beaches..it's true. They're not clear blue. They're muddy brown or green but the sea life there is unbelievable. When I went there as a kid, I would scoop a bucket of water and pour it into a glass or something and I would wait and see what came out. I often found the sea dragons or sea horses and other critters.
People are specifically looking for Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola