Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:42 PM

286 posts, read 1,227,881 times

Advertisements

Northwest FL is even different than Northeast FL. Go down to PNS and check it out before you move. It's a great little town, but it's not the best for everyone. If you're used to big cities, lots of places to shop, etc. - you might not like it. But, if you enjoy the outdoors, going to the beach, hanging out, etc. - you might really enjoy it.

PNS is just like any other city - you have to see it for yourself to really make a decision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 05:45 AM

1 posts, read 10,788 times
Default not sure how to use this site - how is Pcola for asthmatics?

Am considering a move to Pensacola for a job. How is it for asthmatics? Also how is the "historic district", or avenues J and H for crime?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:19 AM

13,261 posts, read 22,676,836 times
Overall air quality is generally good, but allergies can easily be an issue.. If you have mold or pine pollen allergies, you'll be miserable. Other types may not be so bad or may improve.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,465 times
My husband is looking at a job at Eglin Air force Base. What is this area like?

Old 10-03-2009, 05:30 PM

13,261 posts, read 22,676,836 times
The area around Eglin/Hurlburt/Duke is decidedly different than Pensacola proper. Pensacola is a very old city, one of the oldest European settlements in the country. Ft. Walton Beach is a new city- before Eglin Field went in during WW2, there were about 5,000 people total living in the county. It's also a more affluent area than Pensacola or Panama City, though not rich by Sarasota or Boca Raton standards.

We've been in the area for about 11 years now, and while it's not perfect, we feel like the pluses outweigh the minuses for us. There's a lot going on for an area its size- the beach and other recreation, lots of good restaurants, better shopping than you'd expect for an area of about 200K people. Job market is okay is you're a status candidate, rocket scientist, waiter or sales clerk, not so great for white collar work if you don't have connections. Unemployment is lower than state and national average- you can find a job even though it may not be what you want for a career.

Housing is expensive by Southeastern standards, affordable if you're coming from California or a big metro area. Median price is about $200K and what you get for that depends on how close you are to the beach. Schools range from average to very good if that's an issue.

It's a good thing that you can find most everything around here because it's a hike to get to a major city- 3.5 hours to New Orleans, and 6ish to Atlanta/Tampa/Orlando. The isolation is probably my biggest complaint about the area- I do wish Tampa was a reasonable day trip.

Feel free to ask more specific questions! Also, search around for posts on Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, and Niceville, and you'll turn up a fair amount more.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 AM

2 posts, read 19,237 times
Thinking about moving to Pensacola from Eagle Idaho-I was in the navy and traveled all over- I have seen alot of diversity and other things from big cities-My children are not used to alot of diversity and treat everyone the same-is there alot of trouble with blacks and whites not getting along?-How is it for family, nightlife, cost of living? I am single raising 4 of my 6 alone- I do not like obese women-what is the dating scene like?

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 9,648 times
Mid-50's widow thinking about moving to Pensacola. Have lived in many large cities--want a small town now where the pace is slow and you can be who you are. Love being near the water. Is this the place ?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:59 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,746,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnf View Post
I am thinking about relocating due to job. How is the northwest part of the state?
I live 20 miles east of Pensacola near I-10 , and it is nice living here. Dont know how it compares to other parts of Florida , but the people here are very cordial and nice, easy to make friends, and a strong conservative values and morals area overall . Lots of great churches and many of them do things together...a real sense of family here. The coast is very pretty and lots of shopping and entertainment abounds.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 19,237 times
SO where are the best areas for living in pensecola? or outer lying areas?

Old 03-13-2011, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 9,271 times
We are looking to re-locate to Florida from Wisconsin to be closer to our children in Baton Rouge. We are self-employed Financial Planners that work with Seniors. Does anyone have any idea how the Pensacola "area" might work for us? Is there a good mixture of older people AND younger couples? Is the mediam income OK? Home values? Crime? Good neighborhoods? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola