Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 81,175 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently stationed in Augusta, GA and one of our options is Pensacola, FL. I do not like where we are now due to the school systems. They suck!!! If anyone lives in Pensacola and can possibly help me out by telling me how the school systems and the area look that would be great! I know absolutely nothing about that area and any info would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM

122 posts, read 401,750 times
I'd avoid Pensacola at all costs. I've lived in Pensacola my entire life and I've seen this area go from decent, to bad, to worse... with no hope in site. In recent years, the population of Pensacola has been strinking due to people fleeing the area, heck, even our own sports team has left Pensacola! The city has had a lot of recent changes to city leaders that the local media is calling "leaving a sinking ship". The city of Pensacola is spending millions upon millions of dollars in building a new ballpark (yet we can't keep any sports teams!) and yet cannot even afford to put up Christmas decorations downtown this year, so all the kids won't get to see them this year. Many other events around Pensacola has been closed in recent years. Pensacola has no decent jobs unless you consider working in a call center for $10 an hour a decent job, or working in retail for $8 an hour a decent job. The crime in Pensacola has always been bad, and every single day on the news, you hear about drug busts (meth, etc) and murders all over Pensacola. Pensacola does have beautiful beaches, but as soon as you get into the city of Pensacola and away from the beach, the area really goes down hill. I'm guessing that you will be on Pensacola NAS. The main entrance to NAS is located on one of the worst areas of town... Warrington and Brownsville... This area is known to have shootings at night and street walkers (aka hookers) at night.

Do yourself and your family a favor and consider elsewhere. I live here, and wish I didn't and wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

oh wow...i didnt know all of that! Thank you for the info

Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Some YouTube Video's for your enjoyment.

YouTube - The economists at pensacola high school

YouTube - Pensacola Beach Fights

YouTube - Great Schools in Unlikely Places: Pensacola, FL - video.NEWSWEEK.com

Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Default Pensacola????

Are there any good places to live that are close to base? I have been hearing good things about Cordova...is this a nice place to be? We may not have a choice about going there so I want the best possible location because we have 3 kids in school...2 in elementary and 1 in middle school!

Old 10-15-2009, 09:06 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
City's seen better days, but it's still in a lot better shape than the wild exaggerations others have posted, and I'd take a posting there any day over a place like Albany, Georgia. In terms of schools, if you venture across the county line into Gulf Breeze, Holley-by-the-Sea, Milton, etc. you're in Santa Rosa County schools, which are some of the best in the state.

Area immediately around NAS Pensacola is a mix of smaller neighborhoods that range from quite nice to total ghetto, with the nice part of the area largely being around the west/back gate. I wouldn't live in the Big Lagoon area because I remember what happened during Ivan, but there are any number of nice middle class/UMC areas in the Blue Angel/Dog Track/Gulf Beach Highway area. The area on the Navy Blvd/Warrington Road main/east gate side is reasonably safe on the main roads though I wouldn't like to venture too far from those roads after dark.

(edit)

Gulf Breeze tends to be me usual default recommendation because the high school seems to be the best in that area without having to worry about getting into a magnet program or micromanaging the educational experience to tears.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Yes, there are some decent areas in Pensacola. My first suggestion would be Gulf Breeze. It's a very nice and clean area with low crime and a excellent school system. I live walking distance from the rear gate (not main gate) of Pensacola NAS and it's a nice quite area with several nice neighborhoods. There is a Wal-Mart and Target right back the back gate of NAS and I'm walking distance from both. The East Hill area is decent, I have a uncle that lives over there and it's a nice historic area. Cordova area is excellent as well. I grew up in the Bellview area if Pensacola and it's nice, I love that area of town.

Stay away from Warrington, Brownsville, Mayfair, Montclar, W Street, Fairfield, Cervanties, Etc.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Virtually anywhere between Destin to Pensacola or Crestview to Pensacola , but not Pensacola proper... would be a nice place to choose. Travel between the neighboring towns to Pensacola is reasonably fast especially if you take I-10 ; Route 98 along the coast is slower especially during Tourist Season (June thru early Sept) . I live just outside of Crestview and am real happy living there --- housing, property taxes MUCH cheaper , people great, close to beaches, lots of things to do, lots of nature, easy access to major roads.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:49 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Move to Pace like everyone else.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Move to Pace like everyone else.
Pace? Next to Solutia, which puts out more polution than the city of Los angeles? He/She would be much better in Gulf Breeze as already suggested.

Don't believe me?
Pollution Rankings | By County

We are the 9th worst county in the entire USA, mostly due to Solutia. If Solutia ever had a leak, the gases could kill the entire population of Pensacola within minutes. I remember being a kid that Solutia did have a leak and did not notify the city because the winds pushed the gases away from Pensacola and Solutia was involved in a big lawsuit by the city of Pensacola for not issuing the warning. The plant is something else!

Edit: Actually, it could be Air Products. I always get the two companies flipped.

Last edited by MJimLay; 10-15-2009 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola