Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 14,580 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama so I'm a Southern Boy by heart. I lived down in the Destin, FL area on the Gulf Coast up until May of 2009. The area was lovingly known as the Redneck Riviera........ha. Due to a layoff, I took a job in PA. I am looking to move South again and was wondering about the Tampa area. Does it still have a Southern feel to it? How are the people in general there?

Also, how's the job market? I have a Masters degree in business and have spent the past 12 years in aerospace and defense. I'll probably try to stick to that industry if possible.

Lastly, I have a 10 year old. How are the schools? Thanks in advance!!

Anthony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

58 posts, read 194,181 times
well i am clearly the person for you to talk to...as....i am from pa, moved to tampa 10 years ago, also lived in texas for 13 years, so i love the south and despise the north. i have family in destin, pensacola area and every time i go there, i absolutely die of boredom. unless you're in the military, there is nothing to do up there. it is so podunk. i considered moving there, and i just couldn't. i love tampa and yes, you get that wonderful southern feel. the people are sooooooooo nice, i have never ever looked back on my decision to live here. i go up to fort walton beach to visit my family and usually can't wait to get back to tampa. so much fun stuff to do. hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 AM

58 posts, read 194,181 times
oh ps, yes, just like anywhere, you have good schools and bad. i think some nice areas to check out are new tampa, brandon, valrico, feather sound, lutz, palm harbor. hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 26,082 times
I grew up in FWB/Destin and moved to Tampa for one year (2000-2001). That's all I could stand and moved home. I lived in Clearwater and worked in downtown Tampa.

Another poster said that Destin was podunk and boring ... I guess coming from a big city originally then it definitely would be. However, I love my beach town with a laid-back attitude. I like going to restaurants and bars wearing shorts and flip-flops. I found zero southern hospitality in Tampa, as everyone I met was "originally from up north". I felt like I was moving too slow for all of them. The feeling I got most of the time was that I was stuck in an MTV music video, complete with crass attitude and scantily-clad loose women. People got dressed up to go anywhere. It was a little too urban for me.

My husband is also from Alabama and he loves it here - we plan on staying as long as his work will allow.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:29 AM

130 posts, read 597,517 times
Default Hurlburt to MacDill.. compare and contrast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJYFRUIT0 View Post
well i am clearly the person for you to talk to...as....i am from pa, moved to tampa 10 years ago, also lived in texas for 13 years, so i love the south and despise the north. i have family in destin, pensacola area and every time i go there, i absolutely die of boredom. unless you're in the military, there is nothing to do up there. it is so podunk. i considered moving there, and i just couldn't. i love tampa and yes, you get that wonderful southern feel. the people are sooooooooo nice, i have never ever looked back on my decision to live here. i go up to fort walton beach to visit my family and usually can't wait to get back to tampa. so much fun stuff to do. hope this helps.
I'm thinking of moving to Tampa to work on MacDill. Whats the COL like down there? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM

13 posts, read 37,342 times
Default Tampa & Destin

I just recently had 2 job offers at the same time, one in Destin (Fort Walton Beach), and one in the Tampa area (Largo). I am also in aerospace, engineering and MBA degrees. I would say the job aspect for aerospace is similar as both Fort Walton Beach and the Tampa area both have many many many aerospace companies, I would guess that there are more in the Tampa area (Largo) just due to the larger size of the metro area. I have had 3 offers in the Fort Walton Beach area and 2 from the St. Pete area in the last year, so finding a job shouldn't be a problem. (yes, I'm picky...)

For reference, I'm coming from Indianapolis, and lived in Dallas for a long time. How to compare Destin and Tampa... I personally think that Destin is much more beautiful than the Tampa area, the Destin area beaches are world class, and I would put them up against ANY other beach that I have been to in the world. The beaches are top notch, period. The water is emerald green, which gives the area a nickname of the 'Emerald Coast'. It is beautiful. Beaches in the Tampa area (St. Pete, Clearwater, etc) area what I would call normal beaches. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't make me say "Wow" like the Destin area beaches. The sand is more course, bland color Gulf water (but if you go south of the Tampa Bay inlet, south of St Pete, the water clears up). In terms of activities, it's impossible to compare. The Tampa area is metro, so it will have anything everywhere. The Destin area, even though is small, has quite a bit of activity in the summer, along with one main highway to get through the island, so the impact of tourist season is much more obvious. The locals think it is horrible, but if you have lived in any major city, or crossed the Tampa Bay bridge in traffic, it's comparable IMHO. Tourists like to play '*******' with the Destin traffic at times :-). Destin is smaller, and I have found it to be much more friendly. Tampa is closer to other cities like Orlando and Sarasota while Destin is closer to Pensacola and Panama City Beach. The winter weather will be warmer in Tampa, while the summer weather will ALSO be warmer in Tampa. Destin is just a bit more temperate.

I typically enjoy metro areas because of all they have to offer, but I fell in love with the Destin area and chose it over Tampa/Largo/St Pete. If you like the southern style of life, Destin/Fort Walton Beach/Pensacola will be better than Tampa. If you want metro-style people, larger selection of things to do, go Tampa.

You really can't go wrong with either in my opinion.... :-)

Old 02-26-2010, 08:40 PM

190 posts, read 492,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony19953 View Post
Hi everyone!

I was born and raised in Huntsville, Alabama so I'm a Southern Boy by heart. I lived down in the Destin, FL area on the Gulf Coast up until May of 2009. The area was lovingly known as the Redneck Riviera........ha. Due to a layoff, I took a job in PA. I am looking to move South again and was wondering about the Tampa area. Does it still have a Southern feel to it? How are the people in general there?

Also, how's the job market? I have a Masters degree in business and have spent the past 12 years in aerospace and defense. I'll probably try to stick to that industry if possible.

Lastly, I have a 10 year old. How are the schools? Thanks in advance!!

Anthony
Consider Pinellas or Pasco Counties if you want more of a Southern feel. I consider Tampa's people to be diverse. All three counties are a bit crowded--especially Hillsborough and Pinellas. If you want a more laid back atmosphere and more land, I think Polk County has it. Of course, you'll be a bit of a drive from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola