U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 13,276 times

Advertisements

I am looking for my mother's younger sister who was born Bernice June Foster on 9-27-1926 in Detroit, Mi. I know it's been a long time, but I have been searching for over thirty years now and hope to one day find out what happened to her. Rose Edna Foster and Jasper Beckham Foster had three daughters, Margaret born 1924, Bonnie Jean born 1925 (my mom) and Bernice born 1926. They all lived at 2427 John R. St., Detroit. Around April 1927 Rose and Jasper decided to split up. Jasper took Margaret to live with his relatives in Richmond, Ky., Bonnie was put in an orphanage, Children's Home Society in Detroit and later adopted out around 1928 by James and Katherine Goeldi., and Bernice was just handed over to someone who lived in the apartment building. I would love to find someone who might still be alive who either lived in that apartment building, or anyone who might know something of what happened to Bernice. We found Margaret in 1981 and she and my mom were reunited after almost 55 years apart... they are both deceased now, and sadly I have no leads on Bernice. Would love to have help in finding Bernice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Status: "Let's Get Biden To Quit Immediately, America. Amen." (set 20 days ago)

18,629 posts, read 16,651,762 times
Welcome to the forum queeny1319. There is a 1928-29 city directory available online Polk's Detroit city directory.. Page 2413 lists the residents of 2427 John R. Assuming one of the residents adopted her and changed her last name to theirs, you might be able to trace her that way. Good Luck. Keep us posted on your progress. I may have time to help you search more later on. I'm assuming you are familiar with other means of searching for people, like ancestry.com?
--------------------------
It's a long list, so in an attempt to narrow down our initial search, we can make some basic assumptions which we can later revise. I presume the names are head of houshold since no other occupants of the units are listed. The names starting with "Mrs." are probably widows, likely elderly and therefore unlikely to adopt a child. The women listed are likely single as the phone would have been customarily listed in the husbands name if there were one. So we/you could probable start with the men listed, even though some/many are probably single and would not likely adopt. Unfortunately we can't tell who is married, as they would be the most likely to adopt. I've reddened the possible last names for the initial search.

William Fairchild
Louise G. Ellis
Marion Bradley
Melvin Frazier
Edwin Slater
Herbert Lilley
Walter J. Lumson
Ruth L. Watson
Bertram Dickinson
William Salisbury
Irving Fredenthal
Mrs. Helen Wayne
Walter E. Proll
Jasper B. Foster, a.k.a. grandpa
Stanley Mirfeld
Howard E. Johnson
Harold Simpson
Myrtle Bauer
Frank M. Conway
Albert Leslie
Mabel Hastings
Edward J. Rivett
Evelyn Ross
Earl H. Gilbert
Mrs. Vivian Henkel
James H. Durant
Victor Rentslaw
Betty Slawson
Ethel Lowrey
Henry B. Larkins
Ralph Young
Myrtle Cowan
Lyle DeForest
Mrs. Sylvia Crow
Edward LeBeau
Wayne Martell
Mrs. Gertrude Slocum

Last edited by Retroit; 06-29-2011 at 01:08 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Why no response?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Default Bernice June Foster

Thank you very much. I do have that list of names you sent... although my list shows which apartments were vacant. I also have a list of the people in the building from 1926, which my father had hand written. I wanted to actually see the list because my dad could have written the names and not spelled them correctly. I have to go on the assumption that everyone who lived there are not around anymore. I don't know why the 1926/1927 directory is not available online, although I just found out I can go to a family search place at the Mormon Church close to my house, and they can order the directory for a fee. I have been doing this search for over thirty years, and have tried everything possible. If you have access to ancestry, you can just type in Bernice June Foster and you can see my postings all over there.
My most recent find is the granddaughter of a man who lived in the apartment in 1926. Unfortunately she does not know anything.
If Bernice were adopted by someone in the apart. building, I don't have any way of finding this out. I do have a copy of the birth certificate for Bernice.
Thank you so much for your help... if you have time, I would of course appreciate extra help. All help is welcome. Thanks, Kris

Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queeny1319 View Post
If you have access to ancestry, you can just type in Bernice June Foster and you can see my postings all over there.
That won't do any good if she was adopted. You'll have to type in her first (and middle) name along with the last name of each person who lived in the apartment building.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,311,031 times
The link below will show people with the first name Bernice with that DOB.

"Bernice , 09/27/1926": Veromi's People Search and Business Directory

Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Bernice June Foster

Hello again: Sorry to be so long in responding.. life gets busy, as you know. I will go ahead and try each last name on the list you so kindly provided. If Bernice were actually adopted, I don't believe her original birth certificate would have been so freely available upon request. I am willing to try any suggestions you have, and I honestly do appreciate all help.
Kris

Old 07-23-2011, 03:02 PM

Okay, going to look thru that list of Bernice names on the Veromi list.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Also thinking that the Polk Directory for 1928/1929 and the names are not the same people who lived at the apartment building at the time Rose and Jasper Split up around April 1927. I can narrow down that particular date frame because I have my mother's adoption records from the Children's Aid Society which show she was admitted to that facility on 4-30-1927. The notes say that my mom, Bonnie Jean Foster, "had been hospitalized and we were not active in the case until a foster home was requested by the Court". So by the time she had actually been in the care of the Children's Aid Society, it appeared she was treated at a hospital, but I don't know where or for how long.

Kris

Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 PM

5,222 posts, read 7,206,143 times
I think you need these peoples help. They have good ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search