Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,219 times

Advertisements

I was adopted as an infant from the Republic of Colombia. I currently reside in New Jersey and would like to know how a young adult such as myself may go about locating my adoptive mother. I has been something I have wanted to do for quite some time but I feel I am emotionally and mentally mature enough to go about the search now. My only concern would be finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,462,772 times
For starters: What have you learned from your adoptive parent/parents? Surely, they must know something. Hopefully, they were good enough to fill you in on all that they know.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:38 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
You mean your birth parents, right? You must know your adoptive parents.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 AM

To be quite honest with you the reason I came to this forum is my parents never wanted me to search for my biological parents, especially my father. He was very controlling of my mother, and while my mother began encouraging me to embrace being adoptive, my father shunned it. I love my mother - she is a hard worker and provides for the family but my dad is a controlling ignorant man who takes advantage of my mother's work ethic and brings in pretty much nothing.

I want to avoid asking my parents and keep them out of it because they will make it all about them, which is why I came to this forum. I have a copy of my birth certificate and original passport at least.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:00 AM

25,960 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Do you know whether it was a private or agency adoption? If through an agency, you might be able to get ideas from them.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:04 PM

1,830 posts, read 5,349,571 times
Do you mean you have your US post-adoption birth certificate? If you have your original Columbia certificate then you'd have your birth parents' names.

Were your adoptive parents US citizens at the time of the adoption? If so, there should be naturalization papers on you, as that's how it's handled when citizens adopt a foreign baby. Contact the Dept of State and get copies of your passport application and your naturalization papers. The documents may have names or clues. If they were Columbia citizens and the family came to the US at a later date after your adoption, then those papers wouldn't be of help.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:54 PM

It was a closed adoption because my adoptive parents did not want my biological parents to ever have contact with me. I have my original birth certificate, it is in Spanish. For some reason it does not list my time of birth (maybe that is how it was like in 1989?). My parents have all my adoption files and have always made sure I did not have access to them. They have stated to others and myself in the past that they knew about my family excluding my birth father. They knew nothing about my birth father but that my birth mother put me up for adoption and I have three older brothers. My adoptive parents were and remain U.S. citizens at the time of the adoption.

With the aforementioned said, would who [job title] at which specific department would I contact? Would it be in my home state (New Jersey) or at the federal (US) level?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Phone numbers here USCIS - Contact Us

Tell them you want to see a copy of the application for your citizenship.

Phone numbers to ask for a copy of the application for your passport: travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_898.html

You want the applications, not the actual documents. They may or may not have helpful information about your birth.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcgCali View Post
Phone numbers here USCIS - Contact Us

Tell them you want to see a copy of the application for your citizenship.

Phone numbers to ask for a copy of the application for your passport: travel.state.gov/passport/npic/npic_898.html

You want the applications, not the actual documents. They may or may not have helpful information about your birth.
Thank you for providing me with the aforementioned links. Do you feel I will have any difficulties in acquiring the applications? If and after I obtain the applications, what are the next steps I should take?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:37 PM

That's why I gave you links that included phone numbers. You need to talk to a live person, and they can either help you or send you to the right person to help you. Ask all your questions of them. It shouldn't be difficult at all to get the documents once they tell you how to do it. People get other people's documents through the Freedom of Information Act all the time, so getting your own documents should be pretty simple.

The hope is that the applications will have some clues for you, as to exactly where in Columbia your mother lived, maybe even her name, and other details of your birth and adoption. There is no guarantee of this... you won't know until you see the documents... each adoption situation is different. It's a matter of collecting pieces of your puzzle.

Just be aware that even with information on your birth parents, there's still no easy way to find them when you are sitting at your computer and they are in another country. The searchers here can't help you with that. We don't have online access to documents from other countries.

Your reality is that your best bet is to get the info from your adoptive parents. I know you don't want to do that, but maybe in time the conversation will be easier with them. Your dad is acting the way he is because he's feeling hurt and insecure about you wanting to know your birth parents. To them, they are your parents and they cannot imagine it any other way. Be empathetic about their feelings, reassure them it doesn't change how you feel about them and how grateful you are for the good life they've given you, but you still have a need to understand from where you came.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search