Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 05:33 AM

6 posts, read 16,427 times

Advertisements

On 01-31-1944 there was an airfight between American Lightning P38J and German Messerschmidts Me 109

Lt. Morris Leve from Brooklyn, New York killed in action in Nuenen, a village in Southern Netherlands
he is burried on New Montefiore Cemetery, Farmingdale, Long Island, New York

Can anybody tell me somethings about this pilot or his family

Foppe D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 08:37 AM

310 posts, read 738,879 times
I guess you have this website with a picture of him, right?

Leve Morris Lt

Lt. Morris Leve

(Robert M. Littlefield)

Lt. Morris Leve

38th FS - August 1942 - 31 January 1944 (Killed in Action)

Assigned Aircraft P-38J 42-67768

Mission History Not Known

Mission List Not Known

Air Scores 0-0-0

Ground Scores 0-0

Notes Entered service from Brooklyn, New York.
20 November 1943 - Awarded the Air Medal
Major Mark K. Shipman reported: "I was leading Swindle Yellow flight with Lt. Leve as my wingman when at about thirty thousand feet an Me-109 made an attack on a flight below us. We made a pass at the attacking aircraft, made him break off his attack and then started to follow the E/A. Lt. Leve called and told me to follow him, that he would furnish me cover so off we went. Just after that however Lt. Leve called and said to break right in that three Me-109s were coming down on us, so break we did. During the break I lost Lt. Leve momentarily and also Lt. Hokinson, his wingman, and after that time I was not sure where they were. About two minutes later some twenty to thirty E/A came into the area, so I called and told everyone to hit the deck and start home. At the time some of the seven P-38s were in trouble, but after that I only saw three P-38s coming out with me. However, the other flight of four came out at thirteen thousand feet so I can't say for certain just what happened to Lt. Leve or Lt. Hokinson. We were at about twenty thousand feet when we started for the deck, and after that time I saw no E/A, nor was I fired at by ground flak on the way home."

1/Lt. Leve was killed by enemy fighters in Germany near Venlo, Holland. He was from Brooklyn, New York and is buried in New Montefiore Cemetery, Farmingdale, Long Island, New York.
Reproduced with kind permission of Mr. Robert M. Littlefield from the author's book Double Nickel - Double Trouble

Memories

Back to 38th Fighter Squadron Pilots

Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM

ALSO FOUND THIS ON ANCESTRY.COM

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946
Name: Morris Leve
Birth Year: 1921
Race: White, citizen (White)
Nativity State or Country: New York
State of Residence: New York
County or City: Kings

Enlistment Date: 28 Dec 1941
Enlistment State: New York
Enlistment City: New York City
Branch: Air Corps
Branch Code: Air Corps
Grade: Aviation Cadet
Grade Code: Aviation Cadet
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Army of the United States - includes the following: Voluntary enlistments effective December 8, 1941 and thereafter; One year enlistments of National Guardsman whose State enlistment expires while in the Federal Service; Officers appointed in the Army of
Source: Civil Life

Education: 2 years of college
Civil Occupation: Actors and actresses
Marital Status: Single, without dependents
Height: 66
Weight: 139

Source Information:

National Archives and Records Administration. U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. Original data: Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, 1938-1946 [Archival Database]; World War II Army Enlistment Records; Records of the National Archives and Records Administration, Record Group 64; National Archives at College Park, College Park, MD.

Description:
This database contains information on about 8.3 million men and women who enlisted in the U.S. Army during World War II. Information contained in this database usually includes: name of enlistee, army serial number, residence (county and state), place of enlistment, enlistment date, grade, army branch, component, term of enlistment, birthplace, year of birth, race and citizenship, height and weight, education, and marital status.

© 2009, The Generations Network, Inc.
<< Return to Results Screen

Old 02-02-2009, 09:23 AM

DCYE

the first information I had already, the second is new for me
I am searching for his family, so I can tell more about his crash if they wanted
I life in Nuenen a village in Southern - Netherlands The place were he crashed op 31-01-1944 ( 65 years ago)
the same did I for the family in Kansas of an other Lightning pilot who was also KIA in Nuenen in the same fight
Foppe

Old 02-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I will see if I can find anything else. Did you notice in the 2nd post of his civil occupation?...actor and actresses. I thought that was interesting.
Jay

Old 02-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Okay I found some more.

Ciechanowiec, Poland (pages 705-708)

They Fell on Guard[Page 707]
Morris Leve (Lew)
Jewish Morning Journal, Sept. 17, 1944
Ben and Chava Leve were justifiably proud of their son Morris, a twenty year old lieutenant and fighter pilot with the U.S. Army Air Corps. Morris had always been an exemplary son. As a young boy he had excelled in cheder and then continued his religious studies in Talmud Torah. He was also an excellent student in secular subjects and was planning to study dentistry. His studies did not insulate him from the world. Indeed, Morris was keenly aware of current events and was extremely concerned that the world was spiraling down into darkness. He was especially troubled by the rising power of Hitler's Germany. When war broke out he approached his father to say, “I must go to do my duty for my country.” Ben Leve, who had served heroically in World War I, understood his son's attitude. Consumed with parental love and concern, he hugged his son and said, “May G-d bless you and watch over you.” The morning after receiving his father's blessing, Morris left for the service. He volunteered and was selected to be a pilot cadet in the Air Force. Upon completion of training, Morris was commissioned a second lieutenant. At about that time news reached him of the wholesale slaughter of Europe's Jewish population. In particular, he learned of the fate of his father's native town of Ciechanowiec. Over 5,000 of his father's landsleit were herded to Treblinka and murdered. Morris was aghast and vowed that his airplane would be a vehicle of revenge. “I will be among the first to get even with the butcherous enemy.” He kept his word. Morris flew the skies of occupied Europe and inflicted heavy damage on the Nazi war machine. After many missions, his fighter plane was shot down over Holland on January 31, 1944.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM

Okay I found some more.

Ciechanowiec, Poland (pages 705-708)

They Fell on Guard[Page 707]
Morris Leve (Lew)
Jewish Morning Journal, Sept. 17, 1944
Ben and Chava Leve were justifiably proud of their son Morris, a twenty year old lieutenant and fighter pilot with the U.S. Army Air Corps. Morris had always been an exemplary son. As a young boy he had excelled in cheder and then continued his religious studies in Talmud Torah. He was also an excellent student in secular subjects and was planning to study dentistry. His studies did not insulate him from the world. Indeed, Morris was keenly aware of current events and was extremely concerned that the world was spiraling down into darkness. He was especially troubled by the rising power of Hitler's Germany. When war broke out he approached his father to say, “I must go to do my duty for my country.” Ben Leve, who had served heroically in World War I, understood his son's attitude. Consumed with parental love and concern, he hugged his son and said, “May G-d bless you and watch over you.” The morning after receiving his father's blessing, Morris left for the service. He volunteered and was selected to be a pilot cadet in the Air Force. Upon completion of training, Morris was commissioned a second lieutenant. At about that time news reached him of the wholesale slaughter of Europe's Jewish population. In particular, he learned of the fate of his father's native town of Ciechanowiec. Over 5,000 of his father's landsleit were herded to Treblinka and murdered. Morris was aghast and vowed that his airplane would be a vehicle of revenge. “I will be among the first to get even with the butcherous enemy.” He kept his word. Morris flew the skies of occupied Europe and inflicted heavy damage on the Nazi war machine. After many missions, his fighter plane was shot down over Holland on January 31, 1944.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 PM

Default message DCYE

DCYE

Thanks a lot for your further information

actor and actresses---- very special

I hope we can find some relatives
Perhaps with the aid of a Jewish organization

I found by searching Leve on the internet some publications in Hebrew language but I can only read and write Frysian (my mother tongue), Dutch, German, English and imperfect French

Possible you can find a Jewish organization in America

Foppe

Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 AM

I'll keep trying to find something

Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,183 times
Morris Leve was a distant cousin of mine. You can contact me at adambrown (at) aol.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search